1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Is it possible to have led LB switch turn off when truck is off

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Dirtboyz, Nov 22, 2015.

1. Nov 22, 2015 at 5:33 AM
    Dirtboyz

Dirtboyz [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Spanaway, WA
    Vehicle:
    DCSB trd sport 4x4
    Front bilstein 5100 with OME 884 w/trim pack, 17" fuel trophy wheels wrapped with 32" toyot open country m/t, bakflip fibermax tonneau cover, Avec 30" led light bar behind lower grille, marathon seat covers in max 5 camo pattern, trimmed front and rear mud flaps, more to come.
    alright I have a 30" led light bar in my grille that is powered by a blue sea fuse block with the relay and you know the rest. Well the way it sits now the power from the relay comes directly to my switch inside the truck therefore I'm able to turn the light bar on at anytime with the truck on or off. I would really like to know if there is a way to be able to run my power and ground wires to a circuit that cuts off when the truck is off like the 12v socket does then run additional wires to the switch so I can turn the light bar on when the switch in on. I know a little about electrical but not much. I know enough to have it set up the way I do know but would like to be wire it the other way so there is no drain to my battery at all times. Is this possible? Is it as simple as running the main wires to an add a circuit on the interior then run wires from that to the switch? This is where I get confused and would like the help because I have had my set up like it is now for almost 8 months with no problems until the other day my truck started giving me a hard start and the battery is being drained and this is the only thing I can think of that is drawing power after the switch is off. Hopefully what I have explained makes sense and is as simple as I think it is. So in short my ultimate goal is to have my light bar to not have power after their truck has shut everything down and like I mentioned right now my switch is ran directly from the relay which is powered by the fuse block. Any help would be greatly appreciated so I can stop the drain on my battery without having to switch the breaker off every night. Thanks.

2. Nov 22, 2015 at 5:59 AM
    TRSJimmy

TRSJimmy All I Do Is Nguyen

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Gainesville, GA
    Vehicle:
    12' Mall Crawlin Peerunner
    ^ Yeap! Easy peazy. Here's where I tapped into for my ottratw switches.

Blackout14 likes this.
  3. Nov 22, 2015 at 6:24 AM
    Dirtboyz

Member:
    Spanaway, WA
    Vehicle:
    DCSB trd sport 4x4
    Front bilstein 5100 with OME 884 w/trim pack, 17" fuel trophy wheels wrapped with 32" toyot open country m/t, bakflip fibermax tonneau cover, Avec 30" led light bar behind lower grille, marathon seat covers in max 5 camo pattern, trimmed front and rear mud flaps, more to come.
    so I would just pull the power wire from my switch inside the to the add a fuse on the inside panel then a wire to the switch to control it when it's on? Or the power wire going to my blue sea go to the add a fuse under the hood panel? Sorry like I said I know a little but not a whole lot. Right now it's hooked up like it would be hooked up directly to the battery only having the ground and power to the blue sea box instead of directly to the battery but it still acts like its directly to the battery. I apologizes for not being able to make sense of the picture.

4. Nov 22, 2015 at 7:02 AM
    TRSJimmy

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Gainesville, GA
    Vehicle:
    Makes sense. The problem with light harnesses is the fact that your switch power source is connected to your main power source also. Companies do this to make it easy for the installer. The bad part is, your light bar will be hot at all times. I always make my own harness cause 1 it's easier and 2, to avoid this situation. I have a drawing to maybe help you. Give me a second.

5. Nov 22, 2015 at 7:08 AM
    TRSJimmy

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Gainesville, GA
    Vehicle:
    Hmmm maybe rigid knew? All of mine, the switch power source was also connected to the battery.

6. Nov 22, 2015 at 7:52 AM
    TRSJimmy

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Gainesville, GA
    Vehicle:
    Actially, now that I read our convo, we're talking about the same thing but in two completely different way haha anyways, OP I have a diagram that will explain it better.

Your harness looks similiar to this diagram.

[​IMG]

If your switch has three wires, the third one is ground. Anyways, your switch triggers the relay, your relay triggers the light bar. In order for the switch to work, it needs a power source. In your case, your switch power source comes straight from the battery, or even the same relay prong 30, just like the diagram above. That is why it works even if the truck is off. You want to snip that part and connect it to a fuse tap that is only hot when the truck is on.

Blackout14 likes this.
  7. Nov 22, 2015 at 11:33 AM
    TRSJimmy

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Gainesville, GA
    Vehicle:
    That would work but extra wiring and relay

Blackout14 likes this.
  8. Nov 22, 2015 at 11:56 AM
    TRSJimmy

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Gainesville, GA
    Vehicle:
    I see now. Picture makes sense. Here's mine. All chained together

Blackout14 likes this.
  9. Nov 22, 2015 at 4:23 PM
    TRSJimmy

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Gainesville, GA
    Vehicle:
    That's for my switches
    I see.

I did it for my ottratw switches. I went ahead and did the others so when I have more switches, I can just plug it in

Blackout14 likes this.
  10. Nov 24, 2015 at 12:57 AM
    Dirtboyz

Member:
    Spanaway, WA
    Vehicle:
    DCSB trd sport 4x4
    Ok I think I got it. So I have three wires. A positive for the light bar and a ground and a return or I guess positive for switch lighting. The only thing I need to do is talk the positive wire that powers the led bar and run it to the add a fuse? Is this correct? If it is then what size fuse should I use? The same size that is currently being used on the blue sea fuse box? To clear things up my light bar has a ground and power going to relay. Then those wires come back out but the positive has two wires that come out one for light bar power and one for switch light power and the switch ground. I hope I am understanding this correctly and in a way be pissed off s little because if the only thing I need is the power add a fuse and not the fuse that goes to the blue sea then I just waisted my money on that because that is the main reason I bought that for lol. But I'm really guessing I would need both because the one that would be going to the add a fuse would be just cutting the power to the switch itself so therefore not being able to turn it on with the ignition off. Like I said if this is the case what size fuse would I need to use for the add a fuse. The one that is in the aux fuse box is a 30 right now and that is the power coming from the battery

11. Nov 24, 2015 at 3:27 AM
    Dirtboyz

Member:
    Spanaway, WA
    Vehicle:
    DCSB trd sport 4x4
    In all reality I guess I'm still confused haha because I e never really worked with relays before. So I have a 3 wire switch. I will leave the neg and pos wires alone and use the the wire that runs power from the switch to relay to the add a circuit correct? Disregard my last post it probably sounds like I was rambling. Instead of running the relay power wire to switch I would just run it to the add a circuit and use the same amp fuse that is in my blue sea fuse box because I still need that fuse correct or no. Or is there an add a circuit that just plugs into the existing fuse slot for the wire and just use the fuse that is already there because I already have a fuse for the light bar in the circuit? Sorry for being so stupid about this but normally I'm pretty good with wiring it's just when it gets to relays it throws me off. And thanks for yours guys help and all the stupid questions that I should probably already know. I feel like I'm pestering you guys haha and again I apologize. To help me out the more simplified the easier it will be for me. Thanks.

12. Nov 24, 2015 at 3:29 AM
    TRSJimmy

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Gainesville, GA
    Vehicle:
    No, you leave the one that powers the led light bar alone. You need to find the one that powers the light switch. Do you have a diagram of your harness?

13. Nov 24, 2015 at 3:49 AM
    Dirtboyz

Member:
    Spanaway, WA
    Vehicle:
    DCSB trd sport 4x4
    Ha I was just about to edit my last response. I just went and looked and the wires coming from the relay to switch are black white and blue which the blue I believe is the one that powers the switch. So I would just use an add a circuit using that wire and use the same amp fuse that is inline for the light bar right now or what amp fuse would I use for the add a circuit? What type or style of add a circuit do I need to use for the micro fuses that will also except regular fuses? I believe I'm on the right path now I just need to know the hardware to use. The add a circuit will be like the one guys picture right but I couldn't tell if he had the original fuse under the added fuse.

14. Nov 24, 2015 at 3:53 AM
    Dirtboyz

Member:
    Spanaway, WA
    Vehicle:
    DCSB trd sport 4x4
    I don't have a diagram but it is an avec light bar so I have power and ground going to aux fuse box that go back to relay then those come out of relay tied together with the white and black wires and the blue wire is a stand alone wire which would make the blue wire the power wire for the switch correct?

15. Nov 24, 2015 at 4:32 AM
    Dirtboyz

Member:
    Spanaway, WA
    Vehicle:
    DCSB trd sport 4x4
    Ok I understand it now just need to clarify what size fuse I need to use for the add a fuse. Does it need to be the same as the one for the light bar or can it be smaller since it is just for the switch. Everything else I am good on I just need the clarification on the size of the amp I need to use. And again thinks for all the help!!!

16. Nov 24, 2015 at 4:57 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    I haven't used a stock wiring harness for just this reason. I always end up hacking them up so I can control things the way I want.
    How old are your Rigids? Both of my Rigid lights have had the power and control wire jumped out. I had to cut up the harness to get it the way I wanted it.

17. Nov 24, 2015 at 6:17 AM
    Dirtboyz

Member:
    Spanaway, WA
    Vehicle:
    DCSB trd sport 4x4

What amp fuse did you use for the switch? The same as your light bar or lower?

18. Nov 24, 2015 at 6:20 AM
    TRSJimmy

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Gainesville, GA
    Vehicle:
    That is convenient. Makes wiring a lot easier!
    I don't remember to be honest, but it's very small. The switches don't need that much. Maybe 5 amps?

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
    Blackout14 likes this.
  19. Nov 24, 2015 at 7:56 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    x2, just for the switch, use the smallest fuse you can find. 2A would be more than enough.

Blackout14 likes this.
  20. Nov 24, 2015 at 2:00 PM
    TRSJimmy

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Gainesville, GA
    Vehicle:
    How is it not convient? They did the work for you. All you have to do is hook the power switch source to your liking

Blackout14 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top