1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

IS IT REALLY PEAK TIME?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by BUZZ5, Jan 17, 2011.

1. Jan 17, 2011 at 2:07 PM
    BUZZ5

BUZZ5 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    S.Carolina
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner DC TRD Sport
    Many
    Got a letter from the dealer I purchased my truck from in 07'. They say they have an overwhelming requests for used Tacomas & say mine is at peak time for trade in value. I say they are just looking for another person to short change on a trade-in & soak on a new truck. I must admit it got me thinking. I have 48k miles on my 07' Prerunner DC TRD Sport. I have had absolutely no problems with it other than small minor stuff that's not mechanical issues. It has been paid off for near 2 yrs. & is in nearly like new condition. My wife says I am anal when it comes to taking care of our vehicles, but I have always been that way. My dad was the same way, I guess it comes from him. Anyway, the dealer says they can put me in a new Tacoma for no money down & payments less than what I'm paying now from their records. I don't know what records they have because I didn't finance thru them & how can they do less than 0? Lol. Are they saying they will give me a new truck if I trade mine in? JK. The KBB or NADA on my truck with options, it has leather, tow, topper,etc., in good condition is around $20k give or take depending on how & who you use. I see no reason to get rid of a perfect truck that's paid for, but I really like the Tundra Crew Max & am looking at a trailer that would push my Prerunner to it;s limits. Would like to hear some of your oppinions on what you would do. Thanks

2. Jan 17, 2011 at 2:20 PM
    Jdaniel1274

Jdaniel1274 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Orange County, Ca
    Vehicle:
    01 DC TRD 4X4
    PIAA lights, OMD leaf spring mod, magna flow muffler, oil filter relocation kit
    I get a letter from the dealer like this every six months, it is just a ploy to get you to buy a new truck. If your happy with your truck, then keep it. It is paid off, save your money.

3. Jan 17, 2011 at 2:23 PM
    Chris(NJ)

Chris(NJ) Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Usually in Central Jersey
    Vehicle:
    08 Indigo 4x4 DC OR
    Mods are currently being changed .....
    Yep...total scam. Keep yours, it sounds like its in great shape!

4. Jan 17, 2011 at 2:34 PM
    davidpick

davidpick NWXPDTN

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Leavenworth, WA
    Vehicle:
    1988 Pickup 22R 5sp 2wd
    Weber 32/36, RV Cam, LCE exhaust headers, Desmogged
    not really a scam -- it's just the dealer wanting to sell you a brand new vehicle because that's how they make money!

5. Jan 17, 2011 at 3:02 PM
    BUZZ5

Member:
    S.Carolina
    Vehicle:
    Many
    I did experience something like this a few years ago with a VW Beetle I bought for my daughter. It was in for service & they had a sign in the service area wanting nice used beetles. It actually turned out to be a decent deal maker for me, although it was Dec. 31st & they were desperate to unload inventory. I left with 2 new convertables below invoice.

6. Jan 17, 2011 at 4:38 PM
    trot

trot Dang.

Member:
    Aberdeen Proving Ground
    Vehicle:
    18 SW TRD OR DCSB P&T
    They send me one about every few months (for my better half's Yaris). Where we lived before, the Toyota dealer didn't use this marketing tactic. As soon as we moved and got her first service, they started coming. It's funny, my emails always named the Yaris as "in demand" and on the same day, my co-worker would get one naming her Highlander as "in demand."

7. Jan 17, 2011 at 4:48 PM
    intrudn86

intrudn86 Active Member

Member:
    Kent, WA
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma 4wd Mostly Stock
    If it were me... and I was looking to get into a Tundra, I would probably go see what they would give me for my truck. Looking at Kelley Blue Book and NADA, I figure my truck is still worth around $20,000 (2007 4wd Double Cab). I would stick to my guns, make sure they gave me no less than the $20000 on my truck and see what it would cost me to get into the Tundra. It never hurts to check it out... and you can always tell them no. I just wouldn't let them low-ball me on the trade-in value.

8. Jan 17, 2011 at 5:16 PM
    JDCPA

JDCPA Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    SW FL
    Vehicle:
    09 5 Lug Access Cab SR5
    Curt Hitch and etrailer.com wiring harness.
    The peak time to trade is the day you pay it off. You will never have mre equity than then.

I just got one, too, and what's nice to see in the letters is how well the Taco holds its value.

9. Jan 17, 2011 at 5:18 PM
    Manwithoutaplan

Manwithoutaplan the full Monty

Member:
    ID
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Speedway Blue Trd 4x4
    -Nitro 4.56 gears - Arb Front and Rear lockers. -Rear Swing out bumper Curiosity of ( Dept .94) https://www.facebook.com/Dept94 -Tinted, -ProComp 6 inch lift with Icon Coil overs and Bilstein's 7100Resi -315/70/17 - 17x8 in Pro Comp Matte black rims 4.5 bs -East Coast Gear Supply Sliders -ALL Pro EXP LEaf pack -Camburg UCA's -CAB mount CHOP
    Dont do it man they tried that on me. where i jsut wanted to see how much my truck was worth.

10. Jan 17, 2011 at 6:50 PM
    BUZZ5

Member:
    S.Carolina
    Vehicle:
    Many
    I know it's pretty much a sales tactic used to increase traffic at the dealership. I have bought enough new vehicles in my days to know how the game goes. If you do your homework & spend the time researching both vehicles you should never pay invoice or above for any new vehicle, I don't care how " in demand or popular" it is. Although I really like the Tundra, I like no payments better & frees me up to other things I enjoy. I think I may go ahead & do the spindle & adjustable coilover lift I've been thinking about, and get rid of the spacers. Thanks for the replies, it's always good to hear other oppinions.

11. Jan 17, 2011 at 6:56 PM
    kcrob1

kcrob1 Choot It!

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Montgomery, TX
    Vehicle:
    TRD SPORT CC/LB
    Adjustable Billies, Debadged, Painted emblem on grille Kenwood Double din, polk components, co-ax, polk 8" sub & polk amp, TSB springs, 6000K hids, FJ Wheels
    My girlfriends mom got one the other day for a truck she got rid of 3 yrs ago. Lol it is just some bullshit they send out to sucker you into coming to the stealership and getting a new truck. You have a toyota and its always "peak" selling time unless its totaled.

12. Jan 17, 2011 at 7:06 PM
    PR45

PR45 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner SR5 4cyl
    We got a similar letter from a Chev dealer regarding our Olds minivan several years ago. "...we need suv's and minivans..." it said. So, we went in and looked at a Tahoe. I just went along to get along, you know.... wifes car, after all. She drives the Tahoe, which was stickered at $31K, and notes it has none of the bells and whistles of the Olds. But the old codger salesman looks at the Olds and says he'll call us with a trade in value. He calls the next day, says it's only worth $2000, as "..no one wants those...". My wife was not amused, as after all, THEY sent us the flogging letter. So she says "no thanks"--and then the guy says "can I talk to your husband?"....Wrong gal to say that to, I'll tell ya!

Everytime we drove by that place, one or the other of us would make the "a-holes" comment.... They are out of business now.

So yea, it's the peak time to go grab your ankles at the dealership alright....It's ALWAYS the peak time to do that.

13. Jan 17, 2011 at 7:06 PM
    Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Opie
    Bedford, Va
    Vehicle:
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    2012 FJ Cruiser Maggiolina Medium Grand Tour w/winter hood National Luna dual battery split charging system ABR Sidewinder Aux battery tray ARB 50qt Fridge w/Transit Bag Bajarack flat rack w/ladder Crawlarado flat black hood blackout TRD exhaust Trasharoo Outback FJ roof console
    The dealer that services my Tacoma has a dry erase board in the waiting room with a list of Toyota vehicles they are looking for. I also receive things in the mail from dealers saying they want my jetta which I no longer own.

14. Jan 17, 2011 at 7:11 PM
    kcrob1

kcrob1 Choot It!

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Montgomery, TX
    Vehicle:
    TRD SPORT CC/LB
    Adjustable Billies, Debadged, Painted emblem on grille Kenwood Double din, polk components, co-ax, polk 8" sub & polk amp, TSB springs, 6000K hids, FJ Wheels
    :rofl::rofl::rofl:

15. Jan 17, 2011 at 7:23 PM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    I've got that letter a few times from my dealer. My 07 Offroad was paid off before I even drove it off the lot and I sure as heck don't need to get into payments with a new vehical. My truck hasn't even been broke in yet...only has 15,800 miles! Even thou the newer a-trac system would be nice I'd be crazy to get rid of it... the only problem with the truck so far was a burned out tail light bulb.

Products Discussed in

To Top