1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Is it time for new tires?

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by Psycho2, Jun 24, 2012.

1. Jun 24, 2012 at 12:27 PM
    Psycho2

Psycho2 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    '16 DC TRD Sport Barcelona
    So, I was adding air to the tires on my Saturn, noticed some cracking of the tread - the sidewalls seem to be free from cracks.

The DOT code is 1007, so they are a little more than 5 years old. I have probably put almost 50,000 miles on the tires.

Tread depth is still extremely deep, and they seem to handle just fine - don't feel like they are sliding in any corners, or any other wet or dry traction issues.

Researching the question, some recommend to replace the tire if there are any cracks visible, and some recommend to replace if over 5 years (especially in a hot AZ climate).

Is it time for new tires? If not, what should I watch for as a sign it is time for new tires?

(Not knowing how close attention is paid by service folks, I did just have the tires rotated by the same Toyota dealership where I take my Tacoma, and they made no commend to me about the tires.)

cracks_saturn.jpg

2. Jun 24, 2012 at 12:42 PM
    DeeKay21

DeeKay21 Lieutenant Dan.

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    From the looks of that picture it just looks like regular wear and tear on any tire. I think you should be fine with those for a while and thats good tread depth for 50K plus miles!

3. Jun 30, 2012 at 8:24 AM
    Psycho2

Psycho2 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    '16 DC TRD Sport Barcelona
    So, light cracking of the tread is normal, but if I see cracks in the sidewalls, I should be worried?

It is nice to know that I don't have to figure out how to budget tires right now ;)

4. Jun 30, 2012 at 8:38 AM
    DeeKay21

DeeKay21 Lieutenant Dan.

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    Yeah I would be a little more worried about the sidewalls but even the sidewalls will crack a little bit from the heat and sun. But honestly from the picture of that tire, it just looks like normal wear and tear to me.

5. Jun 30, 2012 at 8:41 AM
    11TRD

11TRD MERICA

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Everett, WA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD SPORT 4X4 DC
    Cobra 29 WXNWBT, Devil Horns, ARB Bumper, Avid Stepbars, Homer Taco Satoshi thin lip grille, ICON UCA's, ICON EXT Travel up front with King 700# springs, Dakar heavy springs, sumo bump stops, with ICON VS 2.0 shocks in the rear, K&N Drop In, AVS Ventshades and Bugflector, Whelen SPS 660 emergency strobes, Redline Hood struts and tailgate EZdown, Illuminated 4X4 Switch, TRD Floor mats, Flyzeye LED lighting, Kragen 7" HID behind grille, Kragen 4" HID back up lights, Rigid SR Series 10" LEDx2 Elusive elements Lightbar, Firestik antenna, Rear Diff breather mod, Fogs anytime, Hitch Safe, OEM door sill strips, mryo mirror relocate bracket, Prinsu designs roof rack, Tepui Autana RTT, ARB Awning,Engo 10k winch synthetic, Blue seas fuse block and breaker, ARE Topper
    This /\. The cracks look more like heat induced wear.

Products Discussed in

To Top