1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Is my Kenwood HU that bad, or are they all like this.

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by EricT, May 31, 2010.

1. May 31, 2010 at 8:03 PM
    EricT

EricT [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    '09 4x4 shortbed TRD Sport
    Hey guys

Been rocking a Kenwood dnx 6960 for a couple months now. I'm seeing a few issues that are starting to pile up and make me want to replace the thing with a unit that works better, but this might be the case for all nav/bt/double din touch screens. See if my gripes are legitimate-

-Wicked slow to boot. 60-90 seconds
    -USB stick support sucks. Have to replug it in most of the time at startup to get the stick recognized
    -Laggy interface. I push skip song, sometimes a one count, sometimes can count to three before it does anything.
    -Spotty bluetooth support. Slow to sync address book, loses pairing occasionally. My stock jbl head unit never ever had a problem, was flawless.
    - Unit doesn't shuffle songs! Either that or I haven't figured out how, but I have looked everywhere.
    - Its a touch screen but you cant click and drag - only poke. As such, seeking in a track is near impossible. There are buttons to do it but because of the lag mentioned above, I don't even bother trying.

That said, the nav is built in garmin and it of course is perfect.

If I ditch it what I may do is get a garmin nuvi, hardwire it and mount it somewhere (nav and bluetooth now dealt with) and just get a head unit that does music/movies/ipod control. I dont yet have an ipod (soon to) but the kenwood website says playlist not supported when controlling the thing.

Just seems like a shitton of limitations from a supposed top of the line head unit. But I dont know - maybe theyre all like this. You guys tell me.

Thanks for reading all that!

Eric

2. May 31, 2010 at 9:48 PM
    Lunercrab

Lunercrab Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Beth
    Lehigh Valley area, PA
    Vehicle:
    2019 off road cement
    I have the dnx 712 err well I think that's the model. Anyways I like it but I agree it is laggy sometimes. I bought mine refurbished and I'm starting to have one and off problems. Like sometimes my radio lockscreeb will pop up for no reason and I'll have to turn it off and on again. Or when playing my iPod the sings themselves will change but the screen will freeze up and show whatever song was played last. I'm actually thinking about upgrading and maybe trying a different brand next time. Sorry I didn't help much but I too have some issues with my kenwood

3. Jun 3, 2010 at 3:03 PM
    Tidrow

Tidrow Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin
    Vehicle:
    PreRunnin' 08
    BHLM, All Black grill, Fog light Mod, AFE pro dry, 20% tint, Weathertechs, Kenwood deck, Bridgestone AT Revo 2
    mp324u --- This is the best head unit I ever owned. I won't go into all the reasons it kicks ass because I know it is not a double din w/ nav, but not all kenwoods suck. Check the reviews 5 stars people love this deck.

have to mention it's only 100

4. Jun 3, 2010 at 3:50 PM
    ItalynStylion

ItalynStylion Sounds Gooooood

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport 4x4
    Those sound like legitimate problems if you ask me. The boot time on my new Pioneer 910bt was about the same speed and I returned it because it was just unacceptable. I hated the lag in between screen taps too.

I went to an Eclipse avn726e and never looked back. My only complaint is that it can sometimes take a bit to find a GPS signal but I don't use the nav all that much so it's no big deal.

Products Discussed in

To Top