1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Is my taco off road capable?

Discussion in 'New Members' started by 99tacoprerunner, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Mar 30, 2012 at 11:45 AM
    99tacoprerunner

99tacoprerunner [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    oscar
    rohnert park ca
    Vehicle:
    99 prerunner
    Is your truck a TRD Off Road? If not then you dont. Which stillshouldnt bea problem on thebeach

It is not but i was thinking about getting some bilstiens and allpro leafs and some 33 inch all terains....u think any of that would make it easier.

2. Mar 30, 2012 at 11:49 AM
    bubbagumps

bubbagumps Well-Known Member

Member:
    Outside of stuff like rock climbing, there is no special magic bullet that really makes a vehicle offroad capable. I think people read too much into the term 'off road', which just means off the pavement and can mean a thousand things to a thousand different people. You can take a corvette off the road and into the sand. However, if it has high performance road tires on it, its going to get stuck.

Your tires are more important than all the bells and whistles. You obviously want tires that are sutiable for the condtions you will be driving in and if you don't have enough ground clearance you will not be able to make it over obstacles you might face in some situations. 4WD also comes in handy but is not a requirement to 'officially' travel off road. When it's snowing, I would rather be driving a 2WD truck with top-end Snow Tires rather than a 4WD with a limited slip with slick all season tires. The #1 most important offroad accessory is going to be the appropriate choice of tires. Everything else is gravy and will help you in the more difficult situations you may encounter.

Any vehicle is offroad capable providing you know its limitations and where not to take it. All the additional packages and features don't make a vehicle offroad capable and anything without it not offraod capable. It just makes it easier to deal with things that might come up when you take your vehicle off the smooth pavement. But if your tires suck for the conditions. it's moot.

If you ever visit Daytona Beach, you will sometimes see people driving their Corvette's around on the sand.

This toolbag on a CA beach got stuck when he tried to drive out in the surf:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMvJjtmNT8Y

It's not a matter of what you do or don't have to go offroad, it's a matter of knowing the limitations of your vehicle and knowing where NOT to take it.

3. Mar 30, 2012 at 12:07 PM

1980 Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Dust Bowl
    Bubbagumps couldn't have said it better:

"It's not a matter of what you do or don't have, it's a matter of knowing the limitations of your vehicle."

Remember that people used to drive Model T's on roads that were worse than most 4WD trails are nowadays. In college I had a 1980 2WD Toyota pickup and went almost everywhere with it. I only once got stuck in a place where I had to ask for a tow. The secret is to think and not just barge in like many yahoos with their 4WDs. I've actually pulled 4WDs out with a 2WD because the people in the 4-wheelers were driving like idiots. If you drive like a fool you can get anything stuck -- I've seen M-88 recovery vehicles stuck.

4. Mar 30, 2012 at 12:16 PM
    Deathcure

Deathcure Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Wheeling WV
    Vehicle:
    12 Tacoma Off Road
    playing in the sand os a blast but u get sand every where and is a pain to get rid of it all. but air down your tires, bald or very close to is about the best a buddy of mine used to drive a front wheel drive car on the sand for his job when he first got it till he could afford a 4X4

Products Discussed in

To Top