1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Is there a consensus here on differential oil?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Aerose91, May 2, 2018.

1. May 3, 2018 at 9:24 AM
    Pigpen

Pigpen My truck is never clean

Member:
    Northwest Montana
    Vehicle:
    2012 AC Manual 4.0 4x4 Base Model
    Access cab toolbox/ dog bed with seats and headrests deleted, waterproof TRD seat covers, yellow wire mod, diff breather relocated to tail light, engine block heater, Leer topper with Yakima tracks and rack, Yakima rack on cab, Ride Rite with Daystar cradles, CBI hidden front hitch, wired for winch front and rear Warn quick connect, Warn x8000i on external carrier, sway bar delete, trailer plug relocated to bumper, Pelfreybilt IFS and Mid skids, ECGS front diff bushing, ARB CKMA12 compressor, 255/85/16 Backcountrry MT 3 load E tires on stock steel rims, Up2NoGood heated mirror kit, Husky X-act Contour front floor liners, Northstar AGM 24F battery, Pelfreybilt bolt on sliders with kickout and top plates, TRD Pro headlights, Depo smoked tail lights, Energy suspension body mount bushing kit, OME Dakar leaf packs with AAL, Billstein B110 rear shocks, OME 90021 front shocks with 885 coils, SPC LR UCAs, Up2NoGood 2wd low range mod, 4 Wheel Campers Grandby slide in camper
    The topic is differentials, not transmissions.

:facepalm:

2. May 3, 2018 at 9:35 AM
    NBourque

NBourque Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    ‘21 PRO
    Read the OPs original post. He asked about tranny and diff fluids.

3. May 3, 2018 at 10:13 AM
    Aerose91

Aerose91 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport 4x4
    I have a 6 speed so have to do all 4 cases. Ill probably do redline or amsoil all the way around

4. May 3, 2018 at 10:14 AM
    badger

badger Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5
    Lots of people think that higher viscosity oils and synthetics are nonsense. Here are some facts that people can use to make up their own mind.

1. The higher number in viscosity rating measures the viscosity at 212 degrees.
    2. between 212 and 257 degrees, gear oil loses half of it's rated viscosity. SAE 140 is about double the viscosity of SAE 90 at 212
    3. A Tacoma running mostly empty in the summer will run typically between 150 and 175 degrees. Add mountains and you will see 200 to 220. This is why most are fine with 75W-90
    4. A Tacoma towing or hauling in the summer with moderate grades will see temps from 220 to over 250 degrees
    5. Once the heat starts building it almost becomes a runaway. The diffs have no cooling beyond their surface area.
    6. These numbers are with synthetic oils. Dino will run around 15-20% higher
    7. A Tacoma that is running lower gears will likely see higher temps yet, because everything is turning faster.
    8. These numbers are for a Tacoma. A truck with an appropriately sized ring and pinion will not have this liability.

So basically, a Tacoma that is working hard in heat needs 75W-140 to get the same viscosity under load as an empty Tacoma gets running 75W-90. The higher viscosity will suck MPGs when running at normal temps, but it has clear advantages at the real world temps that these trucks see when run hard. Would you rather save a little gas or save your gears? I can only make that judgement for myself.

Nateclimb and BillsSR5 like this.
  5. May 3, 2018 at 10:44 AM
    Pigpen

Member:
    Northwest Montana
    Vehicle:
    Access cab toolbox/ dog bed with seats and headrests deleted, waterproof TRD seat covers, yellow wire mod, diff breather relocated to tail light, engine block heater, Leer topper with Yakima tracks and rack, Yakima rack on cab, Ride Rite with Daystar cradles, CBI hidden front hitch, wired for winch front and rear Warn quick connect, Warn x8000i on external carrier, sway bar delete, trailer plug relocated to bumper, Pelfreybilt IFS and Mid skids, ECGS front diff bushing, ARB CKMA12 compressor, 255/85/16 Backcountrry MT 3 load E tires on stock steel rims, Up2NoGood heated mirror kit, Husky X-act Contour front floor liners, Northstar AGM 24F battery, Pelfreybilt bolt on sliders with kickout and top plates, TRD Pro headlights, Depo smoked tail lights, Energy suspension body mount bushing kit, OME Dakar leaf packs with AAL, Billstein B110 rear shocks, OME 90021 front shocks with 885 coils, SPC LR UCAs, Up2NoGood 2wd low range mod, 4 Wheel Campers Grandby slide in camper
    I stand corrected

Food for thought. Mine gets run pretty hard. Where were you able to find such specific numbers for the Tacoma?

6. May 3, 2018 at 11:10 AM
    Just Dandee

Just Dandee Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Southwest Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD OR
    Supercharged-2.5 lift-255/85/16
    Seems to me you can put Royal Purple, Redline, Severe gear in the same boutique fluid category- I dont think you go wrong or as mentioned pick your color- I have only used Redline and have seen noticable difference when used in the tranny so I stay with it. I personally started to lean to the lighter side of the weights- 75 vs 85 for example if there is option in product line-when I buy these kinds of products. I am putting my confidence in the quality of the products and its additives and a lighter weight for the MPG advantage. That is what "I" do but its just an oil change your not married to the decision- :thumbsup:

7. May 3, 2018 at 11:19 AM
    totmacher

totmacher automotive hypochondriac

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    TN (memphis-ish)
    Vehicle:
    4Runner, Tundra
    Cut & broke off some stuff.
    I run Lucas 85W140, non-synthetic, in both difs. Price is good, easy to find in stores, and ECGS told me to use it.
    Armor and big tires are heavy enough that i consider it almost like towing full time and follow the special conditions maintenance schedule.
    No noticeable difference from when i had Amsoil in them.

Two Hawks and MolonLabeTaco like this.
  8. May 3, 2018 at 11:21 AM
    kimo

kimo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Knuckle Head
    Kauai
    Vehicle:
    09 Super White TRD Sport DCLB 4X4!
    Another vote for MT-90 in the 6spd trans. Made world of difference in my last taco.

Don't forget to order the new crush washer kit before changing out all the fluids.

Masshole_And_His_Taco likes this.
  9. May 3, 2018 at 11:29 AM
    MolonLabeTaco

MolonLabeTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dude
    N. Texas
    Vehicle:
    '12 DC 4x4 OR
    Very valid point I hadn't thought about! :thumbsup:

10. May 3, 2018 at 12:05 PM
    badger

badger Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5
    When I installed the locker and gears, I installed a temp probe and started recording data. That was about 6 years ago and about 125,000 miles. Prior to that I used a laser probe, but that is really hard to get real time data because the temp drops fast once you stop the truck. The temp numbers are all my own. I did this because I saw signs of overheating in the diff when I changed the gears. I knew the R&P was marginal with the weight of the truck and the HP already, so I wanted to actually know what was going on. Your truck runs pretty much fully loaded all the time right? I know you use it too. It has been a real learning experience. I could see the excess heat during break-in, and I knew when the break-in was complete. I knew when to stop and let it cool. I could also see the differences between dino and synthetic. I use Redline in the diffs mainly because I use Redline in the transmission and T-case. I also know people in the racing world who use it. There are other good options for the Diffs though. I'm not a fan boy except when it comes to Redline in the transmission. I'm hard line on that.

11. May 3, 2018 at 12:22 PM
    Pigpen

Member:
    Northwest Montana
    Vehicle:
    Yep, loaded all the time and towing regularly. Lots of mountain driving.

I know ECGS recommends Lucas Dino oil in the heavy weight when the set up gears and lockers. Are you suggesting the redline is better, even for my applications? I have some for the overdue tranny oil change. I'm not due for the diffs right now. I just did the Lucas Dino in the rear and M1 in the front.

12. May 3, 2018 at 1:17 PM
    badger

badger Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5
    M1 is fine in front. It never sees the heat that the rear does. Lucas is good oil, but I just don't like dino in the rear on this truck because it absolutely does run hotter. At least you are running a 140, so you are probably protected enough. Your call. Maybe switch next change? I like Redline or Amsoil Severe gear the best. I've tested a bunch of them, and the differences between synthetics are pretty small. The difference between dino and synthetic is much bigger. Definitely though, MT-90 in the tranny.

Pigpen[QUOTED] likes this.
  13. May 3, 2018 at 1:31 PM
    88Taco

88Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    Black 08 DCSB TRD Off-road.
    Rear diff breather mod. Block heater
    How did you install the temp probe? What type did you use? I'd be interested in doing this on my truck as I am curious about the types of temps my truck is seeing. Any more info on the subject would be much appreciated.

14. May 3, 2018 at 1:38 PM
    wanderlust

wanderlust Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan
    Flagstaff
    Vehicle:
    2013 Double Cab TRD Manual
    I have the short throw shifter in my 6-speed and I definitely noticed smoother shifting when I switched the transmission to Redline MT-90 after a round of Mobil 1, the Mobil 1 felt stickier especially when it was cold out which was really noticeable with the short throw. I still use Mobil 1 in the differentials because it seems to work just fine and is easy to find locally (and on sale). I order the MT-90 special when I'm changing out the transmission.

15. May 3, 2018 at 1:54 PM
    badger

badger Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5
    You need to drill and tap the housing to thread in the probe, so it's best done when you have the gear set pulled out. Mine is an Intellitronics, but any good brand will work. I think the thread was 1/8" NPT. Of course you also need to make sure it doesn't contact any moving parts. I have an ARB locker, and found a spot on top of the diff near where the air port goes through. You might find a contact type sensor too, but the internal probe will be more accurate.

88Taco[QUOTED] likes this.
  16. May 3, 2018 at 3:24 PM
    DGXR

DGXR Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Friend
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 2.7L SR5 2-wheel drive
    He's talking about the M1 LSD gear oil, not motor oil. Mobil 1 makes different types of oils.

17. May 3, 2018 at 4:18 PM
    88Taco

88Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    Black 08 DCSB TRD Off-road.
    Rear diff breather mod. Block heater
    Thanks Badger :)

18. May 4, 2018 at 9:54 AM
    Aerose91

Aerose91 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport 4x4
    U think MT-90 is better than Amsoil manual tranny fluid for the tranny and t case?

19. May 4, 2018 at 10:32 AM
    badger

badger Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5
    Yes. I tried both and I got better results in the transmission, so I use it for both. I couldn't tell the difference in the transfer case. I think the two take exactly 3 quarts, so it makes it easier to do both with one oil.

20. May 4, 2018 at 10:52 AM
    TNTermite

TNTermite Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 SR5 4x4 Access Cab 6Spd long bed
    Not here to tell anyone which lube to use, however I want to share an article I ran across many years ago.

http://www.lastgreatroadtrip.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/gear-oil-comparison.pdf

It's dated (2007), but I believe a lot of the data to be useful in my own decision making.

I used Amsoil severe gear in my 2010 5-lug 4x4, 6spd, tranny, xfer case, and both diffs. It moves, drives smooth, shifts smooth, no complaints.

Products Discussed in

To Top