1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Is there a point to buy a High-Flow CAT?

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by xSpyderguyx, Apr 15, 2010.

1. Jul 30, 2014 at 10:56 PM
    MadTaco461

MadTaco461 BRO runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    CA
    Vehicle:
    99 turbo 5 lug long travel
    Kinda stock
    You probably don't need to be that rich at wot, but that is more pretty conservative. It really won't gain you too much leaning it out to the high 10's to mid 11's.

I'm wondering if the ecu is pulling timing or how much timing did they pull from you. Did they give you a dyno sheet? If the motor pulls pretty happy to redline, but feels like a dog. Timing is most likely the issue. Toyota ECU's love pulling timing under boost.

If you can view maf voltage or read a flow rate from something you can pull the rear cats and see if that increases flow.

2. Oct 16, 2016 at 10:53 PM
    IdRatherBNTheSanJuans

IdRatherBNTheSanJuans Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Coe
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Sport 4x4 DCLB
    Kings. JBAs. AllPro standards. Mastercraft CXT 255/85r16s
    Hey Guys, I know this is an older thread, but I was wondering if I could get some advice, and this seemed like a good thread to ask my question.

I have a supercharger on my 4.0 installed by Toyota, with JBA shorty headers. Bought the truck recently, and it had an exhaust leak at the header-to-head interface. Drove it several thousand miles this way (2-3k maybe) and just before I got in my new header gaskets to fix the exhaust leak, I hear a rattle IN the exhaust pipe between the cats. I'm thinking maybe I have burned out a cat. I'm wondering what cat you all would recommend to replace the factory one welded to my shorty header if it is burned out?

TIA,
    Coe

3. Nov 19, 2016 at 9:39 AM
    zerotimeouts

zerotimeouts Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nor Cal
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB 4.0 S/C
    On my old truck, not a tacoma the heat shield on the cat kept coming lose causing a rattle.

Do you smell any exhaust near the cats while idling? If not it may just be a lose shield and a muffler shop should be able to fix at least temporarily.

Worth a shot.

4. Nov 20, 2016 at 5:36 AM
    IdRatherBNTheSanJuans

IdRatherBNTheSanJuans Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Coe
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Sport 4x4 DCLB
    Kings. JBAs. AllPro standards. Mastercraft CXT 255/85r16s
    Thanks for the ideas!

But since my earlier post, I had pulled my header and cat off, and it was indeed a cat burned up making the rattle. I replaced the cat/header assm with URD long-tube headers. A bit costly, but very worth it. A very seat-of-the-pants-noticeable mod. And not too bad to put on either. At least not with the ProComp 6" lift.

Final thoughts? If you hear a rattle near the cats, and it's not your heat shields, it's probably your cat.

Products Discussed in

To Top