1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

is there a washer fluid reservoir mod?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by keakar, Oct 3, 2014.

1. Oct 3, 2014 at 7:17 AM
    keakar

keakar [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    karl
    louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2006 4runner sport 4.7L V8 (white)
    used to have - 99 2.4L I4 5 lug & 04 prerunner v6
    washer fluid reservoir is bad and I need a replacement so:

trying to buy the right kind of reservoir regardless if original or modding something to work so I need to know do I have a low water sensor in my washer fluid reservoir? 1999 sr5 extra cab 2wd 2.4L

I still haven't decided if I want to try making one of those $30 non original jobs fit by making brackets for it, do you know of a thread or video where someone shows how they did it? im thinking of looking for a more durable (thicker plastic) one I can mount under the hood somewhere rather then buy the $100 exact replacement one that is tucked up under the front end somewhere with the long snout sticking up under the hood.

anyone have a good washer fluid reservoir mod or thread or video showing how to upgrade this poor OEM design?

2. Oct 3, 2014 at 8:14 AM
    Blackdawg

Blackdawg Dr. Frankenstein

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    ALL OF THEM!...Then some more.
  3. Oct 3, 2014 at 9:00 AM
    drr

drr Primary Prognosticator

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Seattle-ish
    Vehicle:
    02 4WD Tacoma
    This is what I went with - it's small enough to fit pretty anywhere you have some room, I stuck it against the firewall in the passenger side corner of the engine bay. Cheap too.

4. Oct 3, 2014 at 9:20 AM
    keakar

Member:
    First Name:
    karl
    louisiana
    Vehicle:
    thanks, that's what I was thinking about and looking at these: http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/1999/toyota/tacoma/body_electrical/washer_reservoir.html (the $15 and $17 ones)

the thing is how do I know if I have a level sensor so I buy the correct one? I don't want to take the fender apart if I don't have to so is it easy to jumper the sensor? if so I can by the tank without a sensor and im good, or will the stock plug not fit correctly?

anybody know how to check it without crawling under the truck and taking things loose?

thanks blackdawg, that looks like a 4wd mod so I would have to see how much room my 2wd has because the under the hood shots in that thread are the 6 cylinder setup and 2wd with 2.4L are very different but the idea is the same. its a great inventive solution but may a little too complicated and bulky of a mod but it should be pretty indestructible though

Last edited: Oct 3, 2014
  5. Oct 3, 2014 at 9:22 AM
    Yetimetchkangmi

Yetimetchkangmi Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Benjamin
    Newcastle, WA
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma 4x4 The Yeti
    ARB front locker, Custom high clearance rear bumper, Custom plate front bumper, mile marker winch PE8, safari snorkel, Deck Plate Mod Fox 2.5 rr DSC, Camburg UCA, squeaky Dakar leafs, 5125 10" and custom 7.5" shackles, thee finest PNW pinstripes, MT-R, Nissan crew cab roof rack??? wtf is that about??? Allpro skids, Rigid duallys President McKinley CB with PA Recaro SRD with Wedge Engineering Morimoto retrofits Champion Rad - Failed Tundra brakes
  6. Oct 3, 2014 at 9:26 AM
    Blackdawg

Blackdawg Dr. Frankenstein

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    ALL OF THEM!...Then some more.
    You bet

7. Oct 3, 2014 at 10:11 AM
    drr

drr Primary Prognosticator

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Seattle-ish
    Vehicle:
    02 4WD Tacoma
    I swapped the pump from my stock reservoir to the new one, the grommet on the stock pump fits in the new reservoir with a little persuasion. I left the level sensor off, just cut the wires and deadheaded them - I figure I'll notice when the reservoir gets low, especially because it's up higher in the engine bay and you can clearly see the fluid level through the plastic.

8. Oct 3, 2014 at 2:13 PM
    keakar

Member:
    First Name:
    karl
    louisiana
    Vehicle:
    great that's the info I was looking for about the level sensor because I agree you gotta be dense not to know when no water comes out its empty and I check stuff under the hood so i'll notice when its low when I check the oil and stuff.

I think I will decide to mod it because, honestly, im just too lazy to take all that crap apart to replace it and too cheap to spend that much money on one when I can buy 3 of those generics for the price of one OEM style reservoir. hell, I know me and before I spend $125 on one I'd just stick the pump inside and old gallon water jug, duct tape it together, and bunge cord it under the hood somewhere and call it a day lol.

I think i'll get the one with built in mounting tabs, it looks a little more sturdy and it comes with a new pump in it already plus they are about the same price anyway.

still gonna hafta take it apart somewhat to get the wires routed up top for the other one and I think I still might get the one with the sensor hole since its only $2 more so why not reuse it if I have it probably come down to a coin flip at the time I click to buy it.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2014

Products Discussed in

To Top