1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Is there an HID install DIY for the Tacoma?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by notslow, Apr 3, 2009.

1. Apr 8, 2009 at 3:45 PM
    notslow

notslow [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Palm Springs, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    02 TRD black
    I missed the group buy last month, so I ordered some DDM bi-xenons. The factory headlight bulb socket is connected to the HID controller on the driver's side, the pass. side is not plugged in to anything.

2. Apr 8, 2009 at 3:47 PM
    jdkeller

jdkeller How many words can be fit in this s

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma Prerunner TRD Offroad
    Dome light LED, 6000k HID Headlights and fogs, Grillcraft black mesh, rear 5100's, Total Chaos UCA's, 285/75/16 BFG KM2's, Spidertrax spacers, Blacked out emblems, cb,kenwood tm270 ham radio, All Pro 3" leaf pack, Fox 2.0 coilovers, Revenge Fab Sliders, u bolt flip kit, Pioneer avh4200, bed bar with light and antenna, Wet Okoles, Weathertech Mats, Wet Okole Armrests, Rear KR Fab bumper, bed mat, N-Fab spare tire carrier with full size spare on 16" TRD rim, Bedlinered flares and grille. Camburg Spindles, All Pro front fenders.
    huh. well im only familiar with the group buy setup.

3. Apr 14, 2009 at 11:03 PM
    ROCKSLINGER

ROCKSLINGER Zombie Response Team

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Reno Nv
    Vehicle:
    14 MGM DBL CAB 6 SPEED
    Fox Coilover with reservoir, Fox Remote Rear reservoir, Wheeler's 3 pack AAL, Grillcraft Grille color matched, Rampage 50" LED Light Bar, Relentless 1/4" IFS-Mid and Transfer case Skids, Relentless High Clearance Rear Bumper, Kenwood 1800 watt Amp, 12" Rockford Fosgate P3 Shallow Sub, 1 Farad Capacitor, Redline Hood Struts, Weathertech Floor Mats, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, Flowmaster Delta 40, URD MAF Calibrator, URD Short Shifter, CST Black Leather W/Red Stich, On Board Air, Train Horns,
    Its possibly cause the passenger side is not connected to anything. It seems like the hi beam indicator was only tied into the passenger side if I remember correct. Do your HIDs only have one converter and run a wire to the other bulb is this why your passenger side factory plug is not plugged into anything? As where HIDs have one converter box for each headlight bulb and the factory plug connects to each box!

4. Apr 15, 2009 at 1:02 PM
    notslow

Member:
    Palm Springs, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    02 TRD black
    The HIDs I have only plug in to the drivers side. They get power direct from the battery. I tried plugging a halogen bulb back in to the pass or driver side and the dash light works. The wire diagram for the headlight circuit shows that the dash light get power through the filament of the headlight bulb. Without a bulb installed it never gets the 12+. I am just going to plug a resister into the bulb socket to fix this. I have some that are for simulating bulb resistance when you switch to leds. So this should work. I'll let everyone know.

5. Apr 19, 2009 at 11:59 AM
    notslow

Member:
    Palm Springs, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    02 TRD black
    Okay guys, I just used a standard 1/2 watt 22 ohm resistor and it works fine. just connected it between the ground wire and high beam wire on the bulb socket.

Edit, the 1/2 watt resistor got hot and burned up. So I installed a 25ohm, 25 watt resistor like this. It doesn't even get warm, so it should last.

[​IMG]

6. Jun 12, 2009 at 8:38 AM
    greddy09sc

greddy09sc Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 SR5 Indigo Billy 5100
    265/65/16, Bilsteen 5100, Vault in armrest, Scan Gauge.

I just got my hi/lo hid bulb. and it doesn't look like the cover is going to fit. So did you use the cover or discard it?

7. Jun 12, 2009 at 10:30 AM
    greddy09sc

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 SR5 Indigo Billy 5100
    Update:

It does fit, You have to take the battery and the windshield wiper fluid container out to get room.

8. Jun 12, 2009 at 12:04 PM
    notslow

Member:
    Palm Springs, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    02 TRD black
    I fit mine without taking the batt. or wiper fluid tank out, but it's a tight spot to work. What I found worked well is to position the bulb/socket through the cover then flip the cover inside out so it's out of the way while you install the bulb. Then you just flip the cover back over and it's in position without fighting to slide it over the bulb while in the truck.

Good luck!

Will

9. Jun 12, 2009 at 12:36 PM
    greddy09sc

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 SR5 Indigo Billy 5100
    Was your HID Hi/Lo or just the low beam one. (they're different sizes) Because I even try putting it on without the rubber cover, bulb by itself, and it still did not fit.

10. Jun 12, 2009 at 12:58 PM
    notslow

Member:
    Palm Springs, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    02 TRD black
    I'm a little confused. What part didn't fit?
    I have the hi/low. The stock rubber cover will not fit over the back of the bulb as it is too large. Someone else on the thread (luk8272) explained how the bulb shield comes off on page one. This had me confused since I didn't know the metal shield was removable. You can remove that and slide the rubber cover on from the bulb side, then put the metal shield back on.

Then flip the rubber cover inside out so that it is out of the way while you install the bulb into the housing. it is still a litlle tricky getting the wire clip locked since it will try to hang up on the rubber cover. Just push or pull the rubber out of the way as you lock the bulb holder in place. Then flip the rubber cover over when you're done.

Regards, Will

11. Jun 14, 2009 at 9:27 AM
    Captain

Captain Well-Known Member

Member:
    nys, Hudson Valley Area
    Vehicle:
    2017trd sport pkg d/cab LB
    can you tell me where I could find pictures of the best location to mount the slim ballasts for the headlights and the fogs on a 09 taco. I know I saw them someplace but can't find them now and I was goiing to try and install them today...thanks

12. Apr 17, 2011 at 4:26 PM
    2010TacomaTRD

2010TacomaTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD
    hey I got a question, maybe you guys can help me, I have the same bulbs as in the pic above (where it shows Lock/unlock)

I got mine installed no problems and they work, BUT when there on it looks like it splits my headlight in half... the bottom half of my headlight is dark (no light) and the top half is super bright.
    is this because of that platic chrome half cover thing over the HID bulb? I saw there are tiny screws on there so, if I take it off would it fix my pblm?
    In the Directions it says to put that half cover thing on the bottom side (facing down towards the ground) I wonder if thats causing the Split look in my lights...

if you guys could help me I'd appreciate it.

Products Discussed in

To Top