1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Is this a smart/good deal?

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by Willcutt, Aug 31, 2015.

1. Aug 31, 2015 at 7:56 PM
    Willcutt

Willcutt [OP] Member

Member:
    Hey guys,

My tires on my truck are nearly worn out. I'm looking at buying Toyo M/T I got a quoted price of 1182 Mounted and Balanced out the door for a set. Well a buddy of mine has these off his Toyota that he recently got rear ended (Totaled). He salvaged the tires and rims off the truck, even the one tire that sidewall messed up during the accident. But anyways, they have about 8k miles on them and he said he would sell them to me with the rims and all even throwing in the messed up tire with still good rim, and an extra spare tire for 300 bucks. So I would just need to purchase one new tire. All in all id have this set up done at roughly under 600 bucks. So half of going new, but is it worth it? Ive never had these before but the tread looks to be in great shape. He was good about rotating them. But I figured id get some other opinions for paying him.

Thanks in advance

2. Aug 31, 2015 at 8:04 PM
    Clearwater Bill

Clearwater Bill Never answer an anonymous letter

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida
    Vehicle:
    '13 5 lug AC w/convenience package
    A few OE parts from fancy trucks
    If you need the wheels too, probably.

If you don't need the wheels, selling them will lower the cost more.

You're just gonna have one tire that lasts longer than the others. Look for another used with about the same wear, and not buy a new one?

3. Aug 31, 2015 at 8:10 PM
    Willcutt

Willcutt [OP] Member

Member:
    I mean, I could always keep my current tires or sell them. They still have decent thread, I know I stated nearly worn out, but they were on the truck when I purchased it and Id like a more aggressive I believe they could even be sold on craigslist for 300 or so for the set with rims. That would cut my cost down even more since these will be coming with a set of the same style rims currently on my Tacoma. But my main questions Is will the new one and the used ones wear normally? will the truck ride normal?

4. Sep 1, 2015 at 6:02 AM
    Clearwater Bill

Clearwater Bill Never answer an anonymous letter

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida
    Vehicle:
    '13 5 lug AC w/convenience package
    A few OE parts from fancy trucks
    Ride is subjective. It will also depend on the condition of the used tires. While tread may be fine depth wise, and cupping or odd wear already there, not easily visible, may affect noise, ride, etc. There's always a bit of a gamble on used tires.

In terms of wear, the new one will of course be a bit bigger in dia. than the worn ones. On a small, light sports car, that's a recipe for some odd behaviors. On a truck, not so much.

Why not buy two new ones, put the them on the front, two used on the rear, and just be sure to keep the same pair on the same axle with future rotations. You'll also wind up with a 'real' spare tire, should you need it. Or something else to sell to offset your overall cost.

5. Sep 22, 2015 at 6:45 PM
    jbandt

jbandt Well-Known Member

Member:
    If you got 3 of 4 tires that are in good shape I'd say go for it. I can't say how much wear 8000 miles will affect overall performance given that you'll have 1 new tire but my guess you wouldn't even notice. I'd also suggest keeping the new tire on the front for the first few roations. Rotating side to side and putting alternate tires up front with it. That way it'll catch up to the wear of the other tires.

Products Discussed in

To Top