1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Is this normal of the 2.7L w/ auto trans.?

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by speedythecat, Aug 4, 2010.

1. Aug 4, 2010 at 12:37 PM
    speedythecat

speedythecat [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2010 2WD 2.7L Base w/ extra value pkg.
    Hi all, just got a 2010 2WD base model back on 7/12/10. It has the 2.7L w/ the 4-speed automatic trans. I have a couple of questions/concerns starting with:

First off, let me say where I live (Eastern shore of Maryland) is flat, extremely flat terrain. I have only put 468 miles on it so far. I basically have been driving it like my 85 year old grandmother which may or may not be adding to this problem so I wanted to mention that. I have not towed or hauled anything to this point except my wife in the passenger seat one time (lol) :)

Finally, here's what I am experiencing... As mentioned, Ive been accellerating nice and easy. It seems to shift through the first 3 gears smoothly, then somewhere around 40-45mph I'd estimate, it goes into 4th gear and it sounds kinda bogged down slightly until I hit around 50mph. when it first hits 4th gear you can feel a little vibration in the gas pedal and maybe even ever so slightly in the steering wheel and it these two things occur only for a second or two before it begins to smooth out. At 55-60mph a decent highway it sounds and rides like a cadillac and at 55 I think it was only taching something like 1700 which to me seems crazy low for a 4cyl??

It almost seems like it's going into 4th too early and it seems like 4th is the overdrive from hell. If I had my foot in it more maybe it wouldn't be as noticable. Also, I noted the other night when it cooled off it was less noticable with the AC turned off which was the first time it had been turned off due to heatwave here.

Maybe I'm just overly concerned. This is the first vehicle I have not have to share with my wife in the last 11 years and I treat it like a fragile newborn child.

I realize I could call the dealership but I actually have a lot more confidence in you guys. So is this normal? I'm 99.9% sure my dealer would shrug and say never heard of it/ can't duplicate it.

Thanks,
    Eric

2. Aug 4, 2010 at 1:36 PM
    epa4wd

epa4wd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eduardo
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR
    Clazzio Seat Covers OR Wheels 40% tint Side Steps KC Fog Lights
    yeah there is a sweet spot where the truck seems to lack a bit of power, its normal its just the way the power curve is. I'm sure if you accelerate a bit harder you'll feel it less.

1700 rpm @ those speed is perfect, keeping it steady between 50 & 60 mph at around those rpms is where I seem to get more MPG according to my Aeroforcetech gauge.

The vibration if it isn't anything extreme I wouldn't worry about it, sometime I get a vibration when going downhill when the tranny is cold. I'm about 5K miles now on my truck and it seems to be disappearing.

I used to accelerate real slowly, granny style, and according to the gauge it hurts the mpg, now I accelerate normally, not grandma or heavy footed just in between. The truck likes it better!

3. Aug 4, 2010 at 3:14 PM
    Wolfman

Wolfman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Paradise, TX
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner SR5
    Not only is your truck shifting into 4th gear, the torque converter is also entering lockup mode. That will feel like a taller gear change than you would expect, because the TC will still allow the engine to turn faster in relation to the gear ratio it is in, when it is not in lockup mode.

4. Aug 4, 2010 at 5:04 PM
    Who Dat Popcorn

Who Dat Popcorn Dafuq

Member:
    First Name:
    Ricky
    Richmond, VA
    Vehicle:
    Sold :/
    SOLD
    Yeah, this happens to me too

Just how our truck is

5. Aug 4, 2010 at 11:24 PM
    speedythecat

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    Glad to hear it's normal, well somewhere between glad and bummed I guess, LOL. It's kinda annoying.

I's kinda strange to me because from 0-35 it seems to have all the power in the world, and taching 1700 at 55 makes me think top speed must be about 200mph. :) I've never had it over 65mph and I think it was taching barely 2,000 RPM's IIRC. But my point is from about 40-50 it feels like it is completely bogged down and taching rediculously low compared to other 4 bangers I've owned with overdrive automatics.

I think I was mainly concerned for 2 reasons:

1. I have zero confidence in the dealer admitting they can replicate the problem.

2. I plan to purchase a small Jon boat/motor/trailer for bass fishing in the very near future and I hope this is not going to have a problem towing it. The book says my truck will tow 3500LB and a 14' xtra wide, motor and trailer, plus gear shouldn't weigh half that unless my math is way off.

My truck did not come with any hitch or harness so I have all that to research as well. Looks like I found a good place learn here at TW.

Thanks,
    Eric

6. Aug 5, 2010 at 12:17 AM
    Kelson

Kelson Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelson
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    08 5-Lug Reg. Cab SR5
    SR5 Exterior/Interior (Color matched Front Bumper, Chrome Grille Surround and Chrome Rear Bumper/Silver Scoshe Dash Kit, A/C Bezel, A/C Vent Surround) LED license plate and white interior lights, Wet Okole Seat Covers, iPad in-Dash, JL CL-RLC, JL 13TW5 sub, JL 500/1 Slash V1 amp, JL XR 6.5 Components, Rockford Fosgate 6X9s in Boxes Front XRunner Coils, DJM Control Arms and Rear 4X4 Leafs, Custom 2" Angled Streetacos.com Blocks Front XR Bilstien Struts and Rear XR Bilstien Shocks, CravenSpeen Antennae, RX-8 Rims w/ Fronts:235/40-R18 Sumitomo HTR Rears:245/40-R18 Goodyear Eagle GT, 35% Tint front windows, OEM Sliding Privacy Glass w/ 5% Ceramic Tint, Flowmaster Super 44 dumped before the axle, URD Short Throw Shifter, Door Sill Protectors, Door Edge Guards, OEM Sport Pedals,The Retrofit Source Morimoto Mini D2S Stage III 35W 5K HID Headlights, OEM Fog Lights w/ piss yellow bulbs, OEM Cruise Control, Porsche 944 Bucket Seats, BeefedTaco Skid Plate, Whale
    press your gas pedal down more. no more vibration :D the truck has lower final drive ratio than alot of other 4 cyl. vehicles as well most other tacoma models as well, leading to the low highway rpm. the overdrive is also pretty low at a 0.70:1, so with your rpms being that low you won't have that much power in that gear at that speed.

also your truck is new, and these 4 bangers take a while to loosen up and break in. around 5K it'll start running smoother.

7. Aug 5, 2010 at 7:14 AM
    speedythecat

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    Sounds good to me. I noticed again today that wheather or not the AC is on also seems to make a difference, meaning a little more bogged down when the AC is on hitting that speed range where tranny shifts into 4th gear.

As far as vibration, I was a little reluctant to use that term because I just feel it in the gas pedal a little bit for that short time getting up to speed. Don't want to imply she's shaking my teeth loose or anything. LOL I know it's there and it does annoy me, but lots of things annoy me and it doesn't really take away from my enjoyment of an otherwise kick butt truck. I have no regrets on this purchase so far.

Thanks again,
    Eric

8. Aug 5, 2010 at 4:28 PM
    Taco.Tim

Taco.Tim Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2010 Buhlue Access Cab 2WD
    Looking!
    Got our '10 four banger auto back in December, and it's pretty much the same as yours. What I like the most is it delivers power when you really need it, on takeoff. Pulled a trailer for the first time last weekend (seven foot, not much weight), and the truck barely knew it was there. Trailer had a little oscillation (it's a tilt-bed) from 25 to 35mph, but smooth above and below that. I also enjoy the gas mileage, which went up to 26mpg on the way home from Dothan, Alabama a couple of weeks ago. Still gets 22-23 normal use.

Tim Glover

9. Aug 6, 2010 at 3:45 AM
    Kelson

Kelson Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelson
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    08 5-Lug Reg. Cab SR5
    SR5 Exterior/Interior (Color matched Front Bumper, Chrome Grille Surround and Chrome Rear Bumper/Silver Scoshe Dash Kit, A/C Bezel, A/C Vent Surround) LED license plate and white interior lights, Wet Okole Seat Covers, iPad in-Dash, JL CL-RLC, JL 13TW5 sub, JL 500/1 Slash V1 amp, JL XR 6.5 Components, Rockford Fosgate 6X9s in Boxes Front XRunner Coils, DJM Control Arms and Rear 4X4 Leafs, Custom 2" Angled Streetacos.com Blocks Front XR Bilstien Struts and Rear XR Bilstien Shocks, CravenSpeen Antennae, RX-8 Rims w/ Fronts:235/40-R18 Sumitomo HTR Rears:245/40-R18 Goodyear Eagle GT, 35% Tint front windows, OEM Sliding Privacy Glass w/ 5% Ceramic Tint, Flowmaster Super 44 dumped before the axle, URD Short Throw Shifter, Door Sill Protectors, Door Edge Guards, OEM Sport Pedals,The Retrofit Source Morimoto Mini D2S Stage III 35W 5K HID Headlights, OEM Fog Lights w/ piss yellow bulbs, OEM Cruise Control, Porsche 944 Bucket Seats, BeefedTaco Skid Plate, Whale
    ive noticed the A/C does suck ALOT of power out of these 4 bangers, they pretty much have the same unit as the V6's...i've noticed that the fuel mileage noticeably suffers when the A/C is on...

and i get what that "vibration" your talking about is...it isn't bad, but you have to figure it is large 4-cyl, but in the higher rpms the motor is pretty smooth.

10. Aug 6, 2010 at 7:20 AM
    Matic

Matic The "OFG" Baby!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Tricky Dick
    Easley, SC
    Vehicle:
    1 owner 2002 TRD, SR5, DC, 2.7. Full OME suspension, STT pro's.
    OME 881 coils with OME nitrochargers shocks up front. TC UCA's OME Dakars with extra leaf in the rear. Warn 8000 winch with 80ft custom braided synth line. Custom 60ft synth extension. All pro tube bumper, Hi-lift jack, Safari Snorkel, Wilco tiregate. 2019 Jeep JLUR.
    Are all of the 2.7's thru the years rated at 150hp? or are they getting more hp with the newer year trucks?
    Just curious because the newer tacoma's look so much heavier than the 1st gens.

11. Aug 6, 2010 at 10:05 PM
    speedythecat

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    On the bright side, during our recent heat wave the AC has been much welcomed and I have without a doubt never owned a 4cyl car or truck that had such a powerful AC unit, or even close.

A question about that too... What's the deal with the AC coming on in recirc/max mode by default each and every time you turn it on. As far as I remember, ever car an truck I have had uses recirc/max button as an option not default setting? also noticed my window sticker calls my AC "defroster linked Air Conditioning". How does that differ from any other car or truck and is that a good thing or a bad thing?

12. Aug 7, 2010 at 12:16 AM
    Kelson

Kelson Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelson
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    08 5-Lug Reg. Cab SR5
    the newer 2.7 2TR-FE's are rated at 159 HP. Pre 05 trucks had a different 2.7 (the 3RZ) than the 05+ trucks

ive noticed most toyotas have the recirc as the default. idk if the 09s have a different a/c panel than my truck, but you can press the button on or off even if the fan is off

13. Aug 7, 2010 at 8:36 AM
    epa4wd

epa4wd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eduardo
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR
    Clazzio Seat Covers OR Wheels 40% tint Side Steps KC Fog Lights
    I think also somewhere in the manual it mentions how to configure it so it does not come on by default when you turn on the truck.

14. Aug 8, 2010 at 11:04 AM
    DGXR

DGXR Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Friend
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 2.7L SR5 2-wheel drive
    Give it more gas when driving, I know it's a new truck and yes it will rev higher but that's fine even during break-in, the parts need to wear together anyway. Just don't bog it or rev it too high in the first thousand or so, pretty standard advice when 'breaking in' a motor. Each engine is test-run at the factory before installation and therefore mostly broken in already. Also don't bog it too much anyway regardless of the mileage.

15. Aug 8, 2010 at 11:08 AM
    coffeesnob

coffeesnob Well-Known Member

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 access 4 cyl 2 wd

I've pretty much had my ac on since I bought my truck.looking forward to seeing better mileage when the temps cool down

16. Aug 8, 2010 at 8:46 PM
    speedythecat

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for all the help guys, much appreciated!

I finished my second tank of gas today and refilled. Looks like I got almost exactly 23mpg. Considering the truck is brand new, Running the AC unit atleast 95% of the time and the fact the the majority of my driving on this tank has been short trips around town in traffic with a a little highway duty also tossed in, I guess I'm pretty darn happy with that. Just using regular Exxon unleaded.

I'm just so happy in general with the truck despite a few minor quirks that only a picky (anal) person like me would even gripe about. Even though this was my first truck in 10 or 11 years, I have owned I guess atleast 4 full sized Ford and Chevy Trucks and atleast 3 Mazda and Nissan small trucks in my life to somewhat compare it to.

I just really didn't need a full-size truck right now and I'm too fat for something like a Ranger and this truck just suits my needs perfectly. I just wanted something to pull a small Jon boat down to some local ponds and have something I could run errands in or visit my family who mostly live 30 minutes away instead of constantly being stranded at home while my wife has our main car at work, and it feels so good to be mobile again. Being disabled I had gotten so use to being houseridden I forgot how good it felt to get back outside when I'm up to it. Anyway it's there when I need it.

This has been very much like getting my first car back when I was 17 and now at 41, man you just cherrish these moments and know you aren't guaranteed anything past today. Especially when you're a crippled up old fart such as myself. :)

I gotta say, if they don't notice the crank windows and steel wheels none of my family or friends have had any idea it's just a base truck. Painfully got a couple of good coats of Meguire's Gold Class on her now and considering "looks" didn't play a big part in my needs while shopping for a truck, I got lucky there. It's pretty spunky lookin' :)

Now, today's petty gripe/question... I got my plates Saturday. In Maryland we are required to have a front plate in addition to the standard rear plate. As I'm sure you all know, the front bumper just has 2 dimples which I haven't checked but am praying line up with the holes (not slots to my surprise) on my plates. The salesman had left an envelope with two slotted hex head self tapping screws when my wife picked up the plates. I have a cheap B&D drill and a few even cheaper drill bits. I would hate like hell to screw this bumper or plate up. Anyone have any tips at to how much and what type of material I am going to be drilling through and how much smaller than the screw should I drill them roughly? Also, is this the way to do it, or are you guys rigging them up with something other than the 2 screws?

Thanks,
    Eric

17. Aug 8, 2010 at 11:10 PM
    Regretless Rob

Regretless Rob Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Chino CA USA
    Vehicle:
    2001 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner SR5
    Painted my stock rims black and polished my lugs, New jvc head unit with 2 12" subs with shut of switch, Side mirrors tinted, FULLBLOWN FM-74267 muffler, In dash wiring for my Garmin 750 GPS & 3Gs Iphone dock with aux plug and charger in dash, Three more cigarette lighter plus under my head unit also in dash, strobe head lights for the hell of ithttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qumylyXOig,
    Ya i have a 01 and i dose the same thing. I have 63000 miles on it and it still dose this but i put it in neutral (dont push the gas hah) and drop it back in drive and it helps a lot also check your overdrive and idk if you have this but your ECT.. these tools will help that so much also my a/c dose the same crap when driving but not to bad.. also all the transmissions from like 2000 to 2010 are all in the 150s hp from what i understand. hope that helps

18. Aug 10, 2010 at 9:32 PM
    atavuss

atavuss Well-Known Member

Member:
    I have a 2010 4x4 regular cab with the 2.7 and 5 spd. trans. I added a reciever hitch, very easy and simple bolt on. I also added a trailer light connection for a flat 4 connector. super easy to install and no wires to splice, basically you unplug your tail light connector, plug in the trailer light assy. and plug your stock light plug into the trailer wire set. I tow a 1/4 ton post WWll Bantam trailer with a Hobie kayak or a 15' aluminum boat. the 4 cyl. has to work a bit harder than my 09 4 door 4x4 TRD with 4.0 v6 but it gets the job done at a slightly higher gas mileage.

Products Discussed in

To Top