1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Is this power fuse an active circuit?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by anonemoose, Jan 17, 2017.

1. Jan 17, 2017 at 4:38 PM
    anonemoose

anonemoose [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Big Pine, Calif
    Vehicle:
    2015 White TRD Sport V6 DCSB
    Ride-Rites, Everything Weather-Tech Makes Added some 12 volt outlets with relays
    So I am adding a wire for my dash cam up the A-Column (?) and across to the mirror hiding it in the head liner. I bought a wire fuse tap - wrong one - need a low profile but I can fix that later.

2015 TRD Sport 2WD Prerunner DCSB

Looking for a place to add it -
    IMG_2392.jpg
    I see 4WD 20A - I don't have 4WD but there is a fuse in it??? There are a bunch of tapped wires and what I would call 'non-stock' looking clump in front of the fuse block. I have the add-on KARR alarm.
    Could this be used for that that alarm?
    Should I not use it?
    My main concern is that a loose pin in the KARR connector was intermittent and my truck died on me with no warning a couple days before a vacation and had to have it towed to the dealer and it took 2 days for them to find it so I am wary of touching anything associated with it.

Any ideas are appreciated.

2. Jan 17, 2017 at 5:00 PM
    Crazydave

Crazydave Crazy Dave

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Western PA
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma SR5 DCLB
    265/75R16, Clazzio seat covers W/aftermarket heated seats, Interior lights changed to LED
    If you do not want to mess with the fuse for the 4WD 20A and it is probably a good idea not to. You could use the add-a-circuit to the 15A IGN. It is a key switched circuit and depending on your anticipated amp draw you should have not problem.

3. Jan 17, 2017 at 5:02 PM
    Bocsy44

Bocsy44 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Ottawa, ON, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 DCLB Sport
    This that and the other thing.
    x2^

or you can take a voltmeter and test the blanks, see if one of them gets power once the keys in ACC and use that one.

4. Jan 17, 2017 at 5:24 PM
    JdevTac

JdevTac Bawnjourno

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    GA/WA
    Vehicle:
    2nd gen
    So to clarify....do you want to add a fuse to a ignition ONLY circuit, or a ALWAYS ON circuit?

Accessory 7.5A is a ignition only circuit, i'd just tap that.

If you need an always on you could either do DR LOck 20A or I believe people had said the PWR Outlet fuse is always on as well. If you want to figure it out just leave the truck off and plug it in and see if your dash cam works/charges with truck off or not.

5. Jan 17, 2017 at 5:25 PM
    anonemoose

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Big Pine, Calif
    Vehicle:
    Ride-Rites, Everything Weather-Tech Makes Added some 12 volt outlets with relays
    I initially was going to use ACC or PWR OUTLET but that 4WD caught my eye as it is lower and easier to get to. Once I get the correct adapter I will use on one of those two.

I know I am going to obsess about that 4WD fuse until I figure it out, going in for 2 year/10000 mile warranty checkup in April so maybe ask the dealer

6. Jan 17, 2017 at 5:42 PM
    yeos

yeos OCD Member

Member:
    Moses Lake, WA
    Vehicle:
    2011 AC TRD OR 2007 Lexus GX
    You don't need a low profile add a circuit if that's what you mean. The one in the picture looks like the right one (mini fuse).

7. Jan 18, 2017 at 6:16 AM
    anonemoose

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Big Pine, Calif
    Vehicle:
    The fuse I did pull out did not fit, bought a couple different fuses so I could get it all put back together before all the rain starts. I did not even know there was a difference, learning more every day. Ordered a kit of fuses so I have them in case of an emergency. I was surprised that there are spares in the cover of the main box under the hood but none in the cabin.

8. Jan 18, 2017 at 9:19 AM
    consultadrone

consultadrone Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orange County, CA
    Vehicle:
    '15 DCLB
    why not tap the power harness for the auto-dim mirror option? That's what I did for my mirror, dash cam and Valentine1. It's already located above the mirror, has one of each type ACC, Constant and GRND...no need to run wires from the fuse panel.

Just a thought.

9. Jan 18, 2017 at 2:10 PM
    anonemoose

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Big Pine, Calif
    Vehicle:
    Good thought, don't have one.... I was thinking of just running power up and putting the power sockets in the sunglass holder as I saw in someone's terrific mod but I was over ruled on that. It is in and working great, I will swap out the fuse tap for the correct one later. I plan on adding a relay and a switch so I can turn it on when the car is off in case I want to record the camp site or the driveway some time for security purposes.

White Boxers for the win....

Products Discussed in

To Top