1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

is this the newest service bulletin for frame rust?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by mo13, Sep 11, 2011.

1. Sep 11, 2011 at 6:38 AM
    mo13

mo13 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    Orange park, FL
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR
    Icon RR extended length coilovers with cdc,Icon RR 2.0 custom length shocks, Icon tube UCA,all pro standard leaf pack,allpro u bolt flip kit,extended front and rear steel braided brake lines,CMC,super bumps, color matched mirror covers, relentless fab front bumper, smittybilt 8k winch with syn line, viking thimble and hawse fairlead, d2s retro fits, 20" led bar on bamf bracket, 4 rigid duallys, skygear fuse box, viper remote start, and a very shotty made satoshi raptor mesh grill made by myself haha
    http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/tsbs/results.cfm

I’ll be taking my Tacoma in to the dealer on Wednesday and I just want to make sure I’m taking in the right paper work so they won’t jerk me around and make me pay for the undercoating out of pocket any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Sep 11, 2011 at 8:31 AM
    wing103

wing103 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Boston
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Sport / Dark Gray
    Grill Craft upper & Lower Grill WetOK Seat Cover, Devil Horn, Bug, Windows Deflector, Side step Bar, HID 55W 8000K Headlight, HID 35W 4000K Foglight, Fog Light Mod, Interior LED Map Light Mod, Electric Tail Gate Lock, Leer Cab, Key ring light, Bed LED lights Mod, Kenwood DNX5120, Signal Mirror with Heat
    where is it??? did not see it.

3. Sep 11, 2011 at 9:55 AM
    mo13

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    Orange park, FL
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR
    Icon RR extended length coilovers with cdc,Icon RR 2.0 custom length shocks, Icon tube UCA,all pro standard leaf pack,allpro u bolt flip kit,extended front and rear steel braided brake lines,CMC,super bumps, color matched mirror covers, relentless fab front bumper, smittybilt 8k winch with syn line, viking thimble and hawse fairlead, d2s retro fits, 20" led bar on bamf bracket, 4 rigid duallys, skygear fuse box, viper remote start, and a very shotty made satoshi raptor mesh grill made by myself haha
    http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/tsbs/
    can’t get the link to work but after you fill in the required fields it’s the first one that pops up. I filled out the blocks for my vehicle a 2004 Toyota Tacoma. Service bulletin number LSC-90-D and the date it was released is APR 01, 2011. only question is when I hit the document search and click the one for my state is shows its only good for 2010. But I read somewhere that they rereleased the recall my biggest question is that it was relased apr 1 2011 so it should be the right one just wanted to make sure and get a heads up if one of yall on here knew on here.

4. Sep 11, 2011 at 11:13 AM
    Norton

Norton Senior Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Access Cab 4x4 V6 6MT, TRD OR & Tow Packages
    Magnuson S/C w/12TRDTacoma's Qwikchange Hub & 2.5" RIP-Modded Pulley, Roostfactor's Pulley Wrap Mod; FPR Mod; JustDSM Tune via HPT MPVI2; mightytacoman Intercooler Tank; aFe POWER Magnum FLOW Pro DRY S Air Filter; OME Suspension Lift (885 Coils, Dakar Leafs, NitroCharger Sports); TRD Quickshifter w/TRD 6-Spd Knob; TRD Exhaust; NSB-AGM27F Battery w/HKB Adjustable Voltage Booster & Coupe's TRD Battery Hold Down; Goodridge SS Brake Lines; Trident904's MT ADM; BFG All-Terrain T/A KO2s on FJ SE Anthracite Rims; N-Fab 6-Step Nerf Bars; BPF TRD Skid, Tow Hook, & Cooling Panel; jsi's Locker Anytime, Up2NoGood's 2Lo Module; ramonortiz55's Always on Power Outlet Relay, ND4's Fog Light Anytime, & Crom's Speed Bleeder Mods; crashnburn80's Ultimate Headlight & Fog Light Upgrades; ThreatLevelMidnight's Wireless Charger; 4Runner 4X4 & FJ Fog Light Switches; redtaco2007-inspired LED License Plate Lights; AudioControl LC2i LOC, JL Audio XD200/2v2 Amp, Focal PS165V1 Spkrs, Sound Ordnance B-8PTD Sub, Hushmat & Noico Sound Insulation; loginfailed-inspired Speedhut Boost & AFR Gauges in a Lotek Pillar Pod; Ltd Auto-Dim/Compass/Temp/Backup Camera/Homelink mirror on ImMrYo's Mirror Lift Bracket; TacomaBeast Glove Box & Console Organizers; Husky Floor Liners; UltraGauge EM; mesojdm's Ultimate LED Dome & Map Lights & GASSHOLE; Redline Tuning QuickLIFT Elite; Mobtown Offroad Locking Bed Storage Doors; Toyota Bed Mat; Cali Raised Led Bed Stiffeners; Pop & Lock Power Tailgate Lock w/TacomaTruckParts Support Bracket; ARE Z-Series Cap, SolarGard Tint; BlendMounted & MirrorTapped Uniden R3; CravenSpeed Stubby Antenna; Amsoil Lubricants; Adam's Detailing Supplies
    I've searched extensively for information about this "WARRANTY ENHANCEMENT PROGRAM" (WEP) and the related "Limited Service Campaign" (LSC), neither of which is a true recall. The most recent info I found is what you reference above.

According to the documents available there, the WEP covers frame problems (i.e., rust) for 15 years from your vehicle's in-service date. The LSC allows owners in CT, DE, IL, IN, KY, MA, MD, ME, MI, MN, NH, NJ, NY, OH, PA, RI, VA, VT, WV to have a "corrosion resistant treatment" applied to their vehicles. (As I understand it, those eligible for the LSC must undergo inspection & treatment to maintain WEP coverage.)

While I have yet to see anything in writing extending the LSC beyond 2010, I'm pretty sure folks are still getting it done. I've read widely varying accounts of dealers' willingness to do the "right thing". That being the case, I recommend taking copies of the WEP and LSC docs you found with you. Also, be prepared to escalate technician stupidity to dealership management, and dealership management stupidity to Toyota corporate...

5. Sep 11, 2011 at 3:16 PM
    mo13

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    Orange park, FL
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR
    sweet thanks man

6. Sep 12, 2011 at 11:56 AM
    Rude Dog

Rude Dog New Member

Member:
    T County Ohio
    Vehicle:
    02 Trd extracab
    I live in ohio, and pruchased a salvage 2002 taco trd ex. cab v6 4wd last fall; I recieved the notice last april, (which extended the recall till dec. 31 2011...), with the vin# of my truck on it- Just returned from my local Toyota dealer, where I had the frame inspected, by being "peened with a 2 lb ball peen hammer- frame failed- Dealer is going to bat for me with Toyota, told me to make sure I have the letter from them...- basically, toyota gives the dealer 60 labor hours for a frame replacement, which INCLUDES - upper control arms, all new brake lines, new rear springs and perches. Dealer says he's done "about 160" Tacoma and Tundra frames, and said that dish network , in N.E. Ohio has about 100 01 to04 Tacomas, and he'd Like to do every one !!! Was told that if an item is too rusted, toyota will eat the cost of the part, except for items such as shocks, where they will install free, but you'll pay for the part. Just curious how Toyota will treat me on the frame issue, as it was not collision related ( just sheet metal, inner fender, and core support damage- bags didn't deploy...) Anyone had a rebuilt salvage Toyota in for a frame recall ???

7. Sep 13, 2011 at 11:09 AM
    mn.cadena

mn.cadena Active Member

Member:
    Mississauga, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    01 PreRunner Xtra Cab SR5
    How long should it take for the inspection and corrosion treatment. I made an appointment at Nothtown Toyota for 12:30. They said it would be done by 8:30. I figured that this was how long it takes to do the inspection and treat the frame. I called back at 6:30 to check how far along they were with my truck, and they had not even brought it into the shop to be inspected yet. They said it could only be inspected by their master technician. When I asked why they gave me a 12:30 appointment just to have the truck sitting outside for 6 hours, their response was that it was due to the volume of work they already had going on and could not provide a reasonable explanation of why they even have appointments. I told them not even to bother and I would take it somewhere else. Has anyone else used this dealer in Amherst. Are they just being A-holes to me, or is this common?

8. Sep 13, 2011 at 4:24 PM
    SPOTSONTROUT

SPOTSONTROUT Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    ROB
    SOUTHERN ONTARIO CANADA
    Vehicle:
    03 TRD Stolen
    OME 882,DAKAR LEAF PAC WITH ADDA LEAF,285 TOYO OPEN COUNTRY MT,RACELINE RENAGADES,DECK PLATE MOD, MANUAL HUB CONVERSION
    I had mine done last year at Hallmark toyota in Orangeville, they inspected it,and kept it for two days waiting for the treatment to come in on a special delivery.

Products Discussed in

To Top