1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Is your Samsung flatscreen acting stupid too?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by BradleyScottETC, May 9, 2010.

1. May 9, 2010 at 3:33 PM
    BradleyScottETC

BradleyScottETC [OP] Class IV Category 8 Elite VIP Member (Only)

Member:
    First Name:
    Bradley
    Lake County, FL
    Vehicle:
    10 4.0 AC 4x4
    So I've ripped through the internet looking for information on this problem with my Samsung 51" LCD, and it seemed like a lot of people had it so I thought I'd talk about it here.

Basically, when you turn the TV on, it cycles power on and off for about 15 minutes. Then, when it finally does come on, there are all these little pink and red dots on the screen. You have to shut it off and turn it back on, sometimes multiple times, until it finally starts to work.

So, the quote I've received on getting this common problem fixed was anywhere between $200 - $1000 so I thought I'd do it myself, and then let you guys know about if you were having this same trouble too.

I pulled the TV apart (just 2 dozen phillips screws) and took a look at the power supply (main, large board under a metal enclosure). There is an array of small array of electrolytic capacitors and 3 of them are popped. They all happen to be 1000uf but the ones that are popped at 10v. So, I pulled the board, desoldered the popped capacitors and dropped in 3 15v 1000uf replacements I pulled out of a computer power supply. I put everything back and buttoned it up and the TV works PERFECTLY now!

I read that these capacitors were what the repairmen were working on when they had them repaired. I just wanted to let anyone with this same problem know how easy it is to do yourself.

2. May 9, 2010 at 3:48 PM
    tcBob

tcBob Gringo Bandito Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5 V6 Black
    bad caps strike again. you just saved some nice change doing that yourself

Products Discussed in

To Top