1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Issue using CarPlay on 2020 Tacoma

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by pkshooter_, May 13, 2020.

1. May 13, 2020 at 12:30 PM
    pkshooter_

pkshooter_ [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2020 AG TRD Pro
    I have a 2020 TRD Pro and use an iPhone XR. Until last week everything has worked flawlessly since I bought the truck in mid-Feb. Now, when I first turn on the truck, Car Play connects, but the music volume is loud and somewhat distorted. I try adjusting the volume using the steering whee or the dial and it doesn’t change the volume. If I switch to another source (XM or FM), then the stereo functions normally and I can change the volume. When I switch back to CarPlay, my music starts playing through my phone speakers. Typically unplugging/ plugging back in, restarting my phone, or restarting the truck will eventually get it to work again.

My phone is fully up to date. I’ve restarted it multiple times. I’ve deleted my phone Bluetooth connection from the stereo and phone and re-established it. Nothing I’ve tried has fixed the issue.

I suspect some type of interference between my Blue Tooth and wired CarPlay connection, but not sure. I noticed when I turned off Bluetooth on my phone I could connect to CarPlay without an issue. Has anyone experienced anything similar?

2. May 13, 2020 at 2:38 PM
    TacoTaco-BurittoTaco

TacoTaco-BurittoTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Off-Road DCSB
    Stock
    I have had the same type of issues, brought mine to a dealer today and they tried to play around with mine and nothing seems to work either. They wanted to keep it for a day but I needed it so I got an appointment for a couple weeks from now. I will post what I find out then.

2020 DCSB w/JBL audio

3. Oct 15, 2020 at 5:24 PM
    Jeff corn

Jeff corn Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 Toyota Tacoma
    Hello pkshooter, I have the exact issue. Did you find a result? Thanks

Jeff

4. Nov 21, 2020 at 5:03 PM
    mrlobaloba

mrlobaloba Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Off Road
    Same issue here. Anyone know a fix?

5. Nov 25, 2020 at 3:04 AM
    dolbytone

dolbytone Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off Road
    Do you use Waze? There are some internet grumbles about loss of volume control and apparently Waze can do something due to its player settings. Not sure.

Also keep in mind your ringer volume is relevant to how loud stuff is while using carplay. Unfortunately, I think you can only adjust that during a call if you are connected.

By default, I make sure none of the volume settings on my phone are at max.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
  6. Nov 25, 2020 at 3:20 AM
    bhughesru03

bhughesru03 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    20 TRD OR 4x4 MGM
    I had an issue where my CarPlay stopped working altogether. Took it to the dealer and they had to replace my head unit. Since I got the new one I haven’t had any issues.

7. Nov 25, 2020 at 4:50 AM
    TacoTaco-BurittoTaco

TacoTaco-BurittoTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Off-Road DCSB
    Stock
    Anyone have the issue where everything else works fine but then using CarPlay there is no notifications sounds whatsoever? Its not on silent and I've looked up the issues already on apple but its really annoying missing texts and emails. Thoughts?

8. Dec 15, 2020 at 5:21 AM
    YodaTacoTime

YodaTacoTime Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Richmond, VA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Lunar Rock Tacoma TRD Pro
    265/75R16 Goodyear Ultraterrain, Bakflip MX4, OEM Audio + JBL Upgrade
    I've been having some issues with my CarPlay in the JBL system as well. I tried deleting my Spotify and reinstalling, updating the phone, and closing everything out and it worked alright this morning, but will be doing some more testing to see. I noticed that it seemed to be hanging in Spotify/auto launching and playing somehow and screwing up volume/source controls. If you have any particular apps that seem to be acting funny or auto-opening/playing when you connect and playing with sound distorted, I would try uninstalling and reinstalling to see if that helps. If I find a better solution, I will follow up.

9. Jan 11, 2021 at 11:05 AM
    BKLYNTaco

BKLYNTaco New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 OR DCSB Cement
    I'm very excited to post my first fix on TW. I had the same issues as described above. When iphone was plugged in, Spotify sounded like it was only coming through the two front speakers, similarly how it sounds when you're talking to siri. None of the volume controls on head unit, steering wheel, or iphone worked. I went into my Spotify settings, disabled "Hey Spotify" and now all good.

Fix:

Spotify Settings (gear icon top right) > Voice Interactions > Disable "Hey Spotify"

10. Jan 21, 2021 at 5:09 PM
    dom.nick

dom.nick New Member

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Off-Road
    I think you’re on to something! This is a relatively new feature and I’ve been seeing this annoying “mic in use” icon every time I use Spotify. I’ll give it a try and let you know.

Toyota Customer Support and my dealer both said that “either the cable or your phone are causing the problem”. But my apple-branded cable, my phone AND my Tacoma are all less than a month old.

Nothing more frustrating than dropping a load of cash on a new truck and having a problem like this.

11. Feb 24, 2022 at 11:51 AM
    AMSRULE

AMSRULE New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD PRO (BLACK)
    more on the list
    My carplay just stopped working on my 2020 Tacoma PRO. I've been using a wireless bluetooth dongle for a year, then it stopped. So I removed that and plugged in my phone direct and it still hangs up. It thinks it's connected, the phone says it's connected, but carplay just doesn't fully open on the head unit. Any thoughts or updates from this post anyone can share?

Products Discussed in

To Top