1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Issues with oem wire harness on Gen 2 Tacoma non-tow

Discussion in 'Towing' started by Joshua Lees, Dec 12, 2015.

1. Dec 12, 2015 at 5:20 PM
    Joshua Lees

Joshua Lees [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joshua
    Southern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma Access Cab
    Fox, Dakar, Wheelers, and More.....
    i installed a used OEM class iv Tacoma trailer hitch without issue. I then got my hands on the 4 pin oem tow harness and installed it on the bush icon with no issues, EXCEPT I was unable to locate this special magical plug or clip supposedly already in my wire harness sitting empty. Directions show this clip behind the main drivers side fuse box, laid in the main wire harness on that side. Directions read that it is high up in the dash, but can be found new the wire harness clip(drivers side under dash). This plug simply plugs into the converter from the kit I purchased. The converter then gets bolted to the sheet metal by drivers side kick panel area.
    I was able to find all other necessary ends on my stock harness that plugs into the kit's provided wiring that goes all the way to the back bumper/4 prong plug.
    I even plugged in the new oem fuse and relay in the fuse box under hood that are provided by the kit. I have checked the 4 prong electrical trailer connector and it has power but no signal lights are working because of this missing converter.
    I Have searched and found others who had this same problem, BUT THEY LOCATED THE MISSING PLUG. I spent many many days looking myself, then took it to the dealer for help. The spent all day searching by a tech who has installed these harnesses before--he was not able to
    Help. Instead, I Was told my 2013 2.7l 5speed Access cab non-tow package did not have this plug....But if that's the case, why does it have the more important plug/connection for the harness out to my 4 prong plug? Why is the relay and fuse spot there and everything works to send power to 4 prong? It
    Makes not sense...my search
    Showed people did have problems finding the plug initially, yet they All succeeded in the End.
    Please help...can't connect the "converter"...need correct signal from my 4 prong!!

2. Dec 12, 2015 at 6:26 PM
    Tacoma Mike

Tacoma Mike 48 Year Chrysler/Toyota/ASE/ Master Tech.RETIRED

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Double Cab V6 1995 Bass Tracker
    Large Storage Box, 02610 intermittent switch swap, "Hot Wire" Power Outlets, DRL Shut Off, Disable Fob Beep, Disable Seat Belt Buzzers, Parking Light Mod, Battery Tender, 4 Leaf Spring Pack, Rear Headrest Removal, Factory Tow Package (7 Pin) Rear Diff Mod, Taco Lean Mod, 2WD Low ECU.
    Yea I think I saw something like this.
    Need to verify the correct part number for the year.
    I think I remember reading of a issue and for one year or one model the truck used a cheap ass converter box and It mounted in the back. I believe it was 13. Now I'm just throwing this out because I did read it in the acc. Install section. Before you pull your hair out I would call the dealer and verify the harness kit. Maybe call two to double check.
    If I can remember I might have time to check Monday and try to see what I was reading in the first place....

OH BTW.
    There is another harness and flasher ass that some years use behind the main body ecu which adds this section of harness to connect to. The right kit no. Is very important.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2015
  3. Dec 13, 2015 at 8:25 AM
    Joshua Lees

Member:
    First Name:
    Joshua
    Southern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma Access Cab
    Any info You can provide would be fantastic. The dealer was no help whatsoever. Can you link me to whatever article you read?
    Thank you for the reply!!

4. Dec 13, 2015 at 11:05 AM
    Tacoma Mike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    Large Storage Box, 02610 intermittent switch swap, "Hot Wire" Power Outlets, DRL Shut Off, Disable Fob Beep, Disable Seat Belt Buzzers, Parking Light Mod, Battery Tender, 4 Leaf Spring Pack, Rear Headrest Removal, Factory Tow Package (7 Pin) Rear Diff Mod, Taco Lean Mod, 2WD Low ECU.
    Sorry no. It's Toyota only. Like i said if I remember and get some time I'll see what I can do.

5. Dec 14, 2015 at 4:57 AM
    Tacoma Mike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    part number pt725-35120

this has the sub harness YOU NEED TO GO BEHIND THE MAIN BODY ECU.
    the system will never work unless you get another harness package.
    they did not take out of the other truck.
    sorry but you need another NEW complete harness kit...

6. Dec 14, 2015 at 5:12 AM
    Clearwater Bill

Clearwater Bill Never answer an anonymous letter

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida
    Vehicle:
    '13 5 lug AC w/convenience package
    A few OE parts from fancy trucks
    Why wrestle with all this stuff, when you can get a Curt Manufacturing 55513 Trailer Connector Kit and call it a day?

I got mine, NIP, off ebay for $25.

I have a base 5 lug, so no tow. Only wanted a 4 prong, this works great.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  7. Dec 14, 2015 at 5:28 AM
    Tacoma Mike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    not going to rehash old shit.

just let me say if it works for you fine.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  8. Dec 14, 2015 at 6:47 AM
    Clearwater Bill

Clearwater Bill Never answer an anonymous letter

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida
    Vehicle:
    '13 5 lug AC w/convenience package
    A few OE parts from fancy trucks
    I'm sorry. My question was for the OP.

If you have some worthwhile reason to take a more complex and expensive path on a vehicle not tow prepped, have at it.

9. Dec 14, 2015 at 5:26 PM
    Tacoma Mike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    I apologize Billy. Thought it was for me and I just went this whole deal with someone else. Thought I was being followed. Oh and I have plenty of reasons....

10. Dec 15, 2015 at 7:48 AM
    Joshua Lees

Member:
    First Name:
    Joshua
    Southern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma Access Cab
    I want to keep everything oem, and like the safety aspect of oem relays and fuses In place.
    Will this new harness just add on to what I already have installed?
    Any idea on the difficulty of installing this harness?
    Thanks for the help!!

11. Dec 15, 2015 at 3:36 PM
    Tacoma Mike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    Yes but your going to get what you installed already also.
    It's not hard per say but it is a little time consuming. You need to remove the lower knee blocker and the main body ecu needs to come down and turned upside down to get to the connectors. Your going to need to disconnect the front wiring to the ecu and work it down removing connectors as you go. It's a tight fit per say.... The connectors are all different so I don't see you cross connecting anything. But the clips on the connectors can be broken if you go hulk on them. When your done you will have that extra connector your missing. Sorry the dealer guys had a brain fart...
    You maybe able to get them to get you a copy of the instructions to do it. Myself I would go all new since your going to have it anyway... If your uncomfortable trying to do this then by all means get someone to help you. A little to far for me. If I can help over the phone because your all alone let me know.
    Oh sometimes a jumper wire is used into the harness to run to the fuse box.
    That is a pain and you really have one shot to plug it in right. It's a bear to remove it and relocate it. But it is spelled out pretty well in the instructions.

I want to commend you on using the OEM harness. It is by far superior. Where we live, road salt and grime is devastating to the aftermarket stuff. Using the factory fuse boxes makes it much easier to check the system. Tapping into the back harness and using scotch locks ect is terminal to the wiring. I take more of this stuff out than you can imagine. Sometimes the rear harness ass. needs to be replaced because the corrosion. Makes the lights in the whole truck go nuts as well as other ecu issues.
    I love to see this stuff come in......
    Good luck.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2015
  12. Dec 20, 2015 at 7:06 AM
    Joshua Lees

Member:
    First Name:
    Joshua
    Southern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma Access Cab
    Thank you Tacoma Mike....
    I'm runnin down part numbers with the dealer as we speak. The tech had no clue and the service guy probably just looked for the missing connector...I installed everything else with no issue....just as I have with everything else. I thought they might just get lucky and find the prong that I couldn't locate.
    Maybe I can find it online....

13. Dec 20, 2015 at 7:14 AM
    Tacoma Mike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    Your welcome.
    I wish you luck but don't hold your breath on finding just that harness/flasher ass.
    It's a kit...
    Anyway, take care and stay safe.... :wave:

14. Dec 20, 2015 at 7:16 AM
    Joshua Lees

Member:
    First Name:
    Joshua
    Southern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma Access Cab
    Mike the part number brings up pics of the kit I had already purchased. I am
    Hoping that it is just a stock pic. The kit I have says Part number 08921-04960
    For 2005 and up Tacoma's. I am
    Just hoping the new kit and new part number is not the same as what I Have in hand. Can you confirm that? I Understand this new kit will have the same connector and long harness pieces. Just want to make sure it has the correct converter box, and it's different from the one in my current kit. It's not possible to take my kit and plug it into the location behind main ecu Like your talking about, right? My current converter is supposed to go behind the driver side main fuse box under steering wheel/knee
    Bolster. You are referring to the passenger knee bolster where the
    Main ecu is?

15. Dec 20, 2015 at 7:28 AM
    Tacoma Mike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm
    I got the part number right off the computer. Only one for the truck. Install PDF shows harness and flasher ass for behind the main body ecu where you are trying to find the connector. Can you take a pic of the stuff you have left so I can see it ?
    That's not the right part number.

16. Dec 20, 2015 at 7:50 AM
    Joshua Lees

Member:
    First Name:
    Joshua
    Southern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma Access Cab
  17. Dec 20, 2015 at 7:51 AM
    Joshua Lees

Member:
    First Name:
    Joshua
    Southern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma Access Cab
  18. Dec 20, 2015 at 7:51 AM
    Joshua Lees

Member:
    First Name:
    Joshua
    Southern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma Access Cab
  19. Dec 20, 2015 at 7:54 AM
    Joshua Lees

Member:
    First Name:
    Joshua
    Southern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma Access Cab
    I tried to show part number on the install directions, as well as the images. I was able to take the fuse block down completely without issue and could not find the necessary plug.
    Same with dealer.....any ideas? Don't wanna pay $140+ for something that looks to be what I already have.
    Dealer just said more research needed and my truck never came with such a plug.
    It is a 2013 2.7l 5 speed access cab that was mostly base before I got my hands on It, so I believed him that Toyota built it without?!?

20. Dec 20, 2015 at 7:56 AM
    Tacoma Mike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    Yea that's not it. That's a earlier version of the kit. That kit has the connector you need built into the harness. The newer ones done have it and need to be added like I was saying. That part is useless.
    You need the part number I told you.. Sorry, no way out of it unless you want to go el cheepo.
    Yes it will have what you have installed but I would take it out and install everything new.
    I believe it changed in 20012. Why they did it I don't know. I'm glad I gave you the right info.
    So sorry sir for your problem but to do it right get new....
    The dealer don't need anymore research.

Products Discussed in

To Top