1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

IT BS thread

Discussion in 'Technology' started by chadderkdawg, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Feb 23, 2017 at 11:33 AM
    digitaLbraVo

digitaLbraVo Derka Derka

Member:
    Covered in stickers and chrome stick-ons for extra horse torques and foot powers. Icon sticker gets me tons of travel, dozens of milimeters.
    Those are all private non-routable networks.

My computer is 192.168.1.100
    My vHost is 192.168.1.10

YOU CAN'T HACK ME :rofl:

Firebird likes this.
  2. Feb 23, 2017 at 11:39 AM
    bongwhisperer

bongwhisperer Well-Known Member

Member:
    horn that plays "la cuka racha,"
    digitaLbraVo[QUOTED] likes this.
  3. Feb 23, 2017 at 12:00 PM
    digitaLbraVo

digitaLbraVo Derka Derka

Member:
    Covered in stickers and chrome stick-ons for extra horse torques and foot powers. Icon sticker gets me tons of travel, dozens of milimeters.
    Do yourself a favor. Crack open the first few sections of NET+ or CCNA/CCENT you'll thank me later as you cannot really begin to understand your tools if OSI or the different protocols don't make sense. You gotta know at least how it works in order to exploit it.

4. Feb 23, 2017 at 12:07 PM
    bongwhisperer

bongwhisperer Well-Known Member

Member:
    horn that plays "la cuka racha,"

Sweet. Any other book reccomendations would be greatly appreciated.

5. Feb 23, 2017 at 2:59 PM
    pruchai

pruchai KAMA3

Member:
    First Name:
    Igor
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    '14 TRD TX Baja
    Not enough...
    So i got called in to fix someone's network issues yesterday. It's tiny office on AT&T DSL with 10 static routable IPs and a new Arris DSL modem. 1 Linux "server" (old dell desktop), 1 QNAP storage box and an Airport Extreme. Everything is plugged into and old dumb 100mbit switch.... The server and QNAP both have 2 ethernet cables going to the same dumb switch and they tell me that both of these boxes have internal and external IP addresses..... while connected to the same dumb switch. My had exploded. They are mixing internal and external traffic on a dumb switch with no VLAN support of any kind.

Apparently, geniuses at Arris decided that it was a good idea to some internal woodoo and route external IPs to the internal network all willy nilly.... because you know, NAT is somehow not cool anymore.

Here is a kicker... AirPort was set into the bridge mode and gave out routable internet addresses to internal DHCP clients.

Anyway, I have tried to fix things but turns out they use the QNAP as L2TP VPN server, and this Arris modem is not able to properly NAT GRE, so no vpn connections timed out. Had to leave everything as is for now and told them that they need a proper Linux or pfSense firewall, so we could bridge that stupid Arris and have proper control of how things work.

6. Feb 23, 2017 at 3:30 PM
    replica9000

replica9000 Das ist no bueno

Member:
    Lake Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg
    Vehicle:
    2019 T4R ORP
    What's a dumb switch? A hub?

7. Feb 23, 2017 at 3:36 PM
    pruchai

pruchai KAMA3

Member:
    First Name:
    Igor
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    '14 TRD TX Baja
    Not enough...
    No, still a switch, but with 0 configuration options. It's just a switch, that does not support any advanced features. A hub blasts everything to every single port, flooding your network. A switch sends a broadcast and then sends traffic to whatever ports needed. It's really hard to fund a hub now days. They are obsolete.

8. Feb 23, 2017 at 3:42 PM
    replica9000

replica9000 Das ist no bueno

Member:
    Lake Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg
    Vehicle:
    2019 T4R ORP
    Yeah last hub I had was probably 15 years ago. I have an 8-port gigabit switch now. Has no config options, but I suppose my router can handle the options for my network.

9. Feb 23, 2017 at 3:47 PM
    pruchai

pruchai KAMA3

Member:
    First Name:
    Igor
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    '14 TRD TX Baja
    Not enough...
    Right, so you have a dumb desktop switch. They are fine for home and basic use. Smart switches have configuration options like vlan settings, port naming, snmp support, port mirroring, monitoring, , etc. Amount of features/options usually directly correlates to the price.

10. Feb 23, 2017 at 9:14 PM
    oni06

oni06 Well-Known Member

Member:
    NAT was never cool.
    It was a hack, pawned off as a security "feature", to delay the adoption of IPv6.

But better than nothing i guess since IPv6 is probably still 10 years away from mainstream deployments and isn't nearly as easy to setup as IPv4. :(

Sounds like the last people to touch that customers network need to have their IT cards revoked.

Firebird likes this.
  11. Feb 28, 2017 at 9:17 AM
    Firebird

Firebird Notorious Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Phoenix
    Lewisberry, PA
    Vehicle:
    1993 FZJ80
    IPv6 is WAY closer than that. I work for the largest shipping company in the world and our hand is basically being forced toward IPv6. It will take longer for smaller businesses (or IBM) to make the switch.

12. Feb 28, 2017 at 10:06 AM
    digitaLbraVo

digitaLbraVo Derka Derka

Member:
    "Unmanaged" switch. Pure L2 no other options to change.

13. Mar 1, 2017 at 12:23 AM
    digitaLbraVo

digitaLbraVo Derka Derka

Member:
    Well today marked a first for me... ESXi 6.0 host was actually experiencing a broadcast storm (of sorts...) in the vSwitch. Anytime I uplinked it to the network down went the firewall. Literally did the "unplug one at a time" until I stabilized the network. All 4 NICs on the stupid host were toxic. Reboot of the physical host fixed it right up.

GAH :frusty:

Pabloeeto likes this.
  14. Mar 14, 2017 at 11:30 AM
    jpneely

jpneely Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    2005 Land Cruiser, 2017 Land Cruiser
    Ok, this may get a tad long winded, but here we go.

My program is setting up an entirely new sampling system that consists of a glorified linear position sensor (Think magnetic measuring stick), a Panasonic Toughbook, and some other erroneous things. The Toughbook is showing the measurements/inputs that we are doing on the LPS (linear position sensor) and we also occasionally (a couple of times a minute) may need to touch the screen of the Toughbooks to select certain fields we want to populate. well, the magnet we are using to work with the LPS is fairly strong by my standards, and is basically attached to the end of a stick that you hold onto. Well we've redesigned the wands (sticks with the magnets on them) and its now basically a magnet at one end and a stylus for touching the Toughbook screens at the other. the wand is maybe 6" long from tip to tip. In my past ive stuck lesser magnets to the old CRT monitors and screwed them up and ive always heard that magnets and hard drives don't play well at all. what im wondering is, with the newer monitors and HD's of today, whats the probability that the magnet will ultimately do damage to the toughbooks if say, the magnet touched the screen or got dropped on the keyboard/touchpad area?

Its a rare earth magnet that's approx. 1cm thick and maybe 1cm in diameter.

15. Mar 14, 2017 at 11:51 AM
    js312

js312 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    New England
    Vehicle:
    23 F150 PowerBoost Lariat 502a
    Husky Weatherbeaters, OEM Mud Guards, Wheel Well Liners, Bullet Spray-In Bed Liner, Gator Soft Tri-Fold Cover, Hankook DynaPro AT2 (Summer), Blizzak DM-V2 (Winter)
    Decided to start deploying Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB instead. Microsoft says not to use it as a general purpose OS, but I don't really care. Much better than going into PowerShell and trying to strip the bloat out of the other editions (some of which you just can't). Also doesn't have Edge, which makes me happy. Edge likes to try to force itself as the default PDF viewer which would be fine if it worked, but when a user tries to print a PDF from Edge, it consistently does something strange and sends a print job with "NA" pages and halts the queue. Pretty tired of dealing with that one too.

IMO, it's what the Enterprise and Education editions really should be to begin with. I see no negatives of not getting feature updates that the current branch does. Not like I can easily deploy them anyway, since they're essentially an OS upgrade.

16. Mar 14, 2017 at 11:53 AM
    digitaLbraVo

digitaLbraVo Derka Derka

Member:
    If you have solid state disks that removes any fear of magnets there. My laptop (ASUS UX-305UA) has magnets in the panel to hold the screen closed? They're fairly soft though.

17. Mar 14, 2017 at 11:57 AM
    jpneely

Member:
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    yea, theyre solid states. and yea I know computers have magnets in them in general, but theyre more than likely well placed and not that strong. ive just heard that magnets have been used to wipe hard drives in the past. that could only apply to disk drives, but I really don't know. I'm hoping you knowledgeable fellows would have a better idea haha.

18. Mar 14, 2017 at 12:00 PM
    digitaLbraVo

digitaLbraVo Derka Derka

Member:
    Magnets only affected CRT screens because they affected the electrons as they moved. LCD screens work very different and should not be affected by a magnet. If you have a solid state disk you don't have to worry about hard disk failure.

You said these are touch screens? Capacitive? Then the magnet will have zero affect on that as well.

Sounds good to me.

19. Mar 14, 2017 at 12:03 PM
    jpneely

Member:
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    should be resistive. capacitive wouldn't work well with our set up. (wet, latex gloves, etc)

20. Mar 14, 2017 at 12:04 PM
    digitaLbraVo

digitaLbraVo Derka Derka

Member:
    Tomato tomahtoe. Should be.

Products Discussed in

To Top