1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

IT BS thread

Discussion in 'Technology' started by chadderkdawg, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Oct 30, 2020 at 10:33 AM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    OPSEC REMINDER!!! lol

CaptAmerica likes this.
  2. Oct 30, 2020 at 10:49 AM
    CaptAmerica

CaptAmerica Asphalt Avenger! TTC#13

Member:
    First Name:
    Cap
    In a van down by the river
    Vehicle:
    Gen 2.9 DCLB TRD Sport w/tech
    Stickers and not enough wax
    Ain't no CORNET DRAGON here. That's for the currently military types. Just so long as no one gets into the financial or health records systems it's all good in the hood.

The_Hodge[QUOTED] likes this.
  3. Oct 30, 2020 at 2:49 PM
    Cold Iron

Cold Iron Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Mn.
    Vehicle:
    2013 AC T|X Baja
    Your catching up to where we are. Except have to have temperature taken before entering now, because medical. Got notified by FBI of increased ransomware attacks on medical institutions so on high alert. Then again we always are being the #1 target.

Back when we went to SAN I was the robocopy bitch and wrote scripts to write scripts to copy files from DASD to the SAN. Well some of them then trained interns to do it. A long time ago we broke a petabyte and it blew me away then. Genomics, Artificial Intelligence, and Data Warehousing alone now dwarf that. Can't imagine not working in an Enterprise Environment anymore after spending 20 years in it.

Now the push is on to move everything to the cloud. Can't wait for that latest fad to end. NO ONE cares about your stuff as much as you do. We already have something better than a cloud damn it. Midwest, Southeast and Southwest with XXXX pipes between them and data centers at each. First breach in the cloud I will do my best to not say I told you so.

xxTacocaTxx likes this.
  4. Oct 30, 2020 at 6:50 PM
    CaptAmerica

Member:
    First Name:
    Cap
    Vehicle:
    I fucking hate cloud. HATE IT. I’ve argued repeatedly with senior executives that delegating hosting does not delegate responsibility - they are still on the hook to Congress for anything that happens in that cloud location. It’s already happened - had a 48K record breach of banking details because the CSP contractor mis-configured a data connection on their end. OIG is still dealing with it.

As management I have to go through whistleblower training and guidance every few months, but no one is even listening to whistleblowers anymore.

I’d say more but it’s [REDACTED].

5. Nov 2, 2020 at 9:13 AM
    mikednw

mikednw Well-Known Member

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    2020 Cement DCSB TRD Sport 4x4 MT
    Building, operating, and securing services in a public cloud requires a different set of skills than securing services hosted in an on-premise customer managed facility. In my experience customer managed facilities tend to overly depend on traditional perimeter network security that's trickier to achieve in public cloud. I do think that for the large portion of workloads, public cloud providers do bring a lot to the table that could not be as easily achieved in an on-premise facility, especially when you start moving beyond core products such as virtual machines, object store, load balancing, etc. The management overhead is less as you move from SaaS to PaaS to SaaS, but you're right in declaring that it doesn't delegate responsibility for anything which can be an easy trap to fall into.

Years ago I went from working in IT for a large company that self hosted everything to embracing public cloud, learning how to do some basic coding, and moving into Site Reliability Engineering / DevOps. It was absolutely the best decision I ever made for job satisfaction, employability, and compensation. While I don't know your personal or work circumstances, I would encourage you to perhaps look at public cloud as a professional growth opportunity before dismissing it broadly.

6. Nov 2, 2020 at 9:18 AM
    CaptAmerica

Member:
    First Name:
    Cap
    Vehicle:
    Federal government, with multiple legal requirements for personal and health data protection. Any of a number of system outages gets us dragged before Congress immediately, as does any data breach.

We have as much infrastructure already as a CSP, and had been an internal provider for years. Being as we still haven't seen any cost savings, many of us are anticipating the pendulum swinging back.

7. Nov 2, 2020 at 9:41 AM
    mikednw

mikednw Well-Known Member

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    2020 Cement DCSB TRD Sport 4x4 MT
    Moving workloads to public cloud shouldn't be about cost savings as a primary goal outside of trading capex in favor of opex depending on what your finance department wants. Oftentimes cost savings may not be achieved if not closely and smartly managed, which can be tricky! Migrations to public cloud are often about process and cultural change and improving time to deliver. They can also be about achieving more leverage by using PaaS and SaaS offerings from the public cloud providers.

Not saying this is your situation by any means, but if there's an IT department running a self-hosted data center that is difficult and/or slow to support needs of developers, business, etc. embracing public cloud can be a means to kickstart change (involving or not involving that IT department).

I've never worked in the government sector, but I do know that all the big public cloud players have dedicated FEDRAMP regions and invest in products specifically targeted at various levels of government. Beyond FEDRAMP, it's been an open secret that AWS has been a vendor for the CIA for a many years as an example.

https://aws.amazon.com/govcloud-us
    https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/global-infrastructure/government/
    https://www.oracle.com/industries/public-sector/government-cloud/
    https://cloud.google.com/security/compliance/government-public-sector

Not trying to convince you you're wrong, but felt compelled to post for others who might not have experience with public cloud.

8. Nov 16, 2020 at 7:18 PM
    CurtB

CurtB Old Timer knowitall

Member:
    First Name:
    Curt
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma SR5
    What does this mean, and how do I get it to stop. Running Chrome and I get this on several sites that I know to be safe.

9. Nov 17, 2020 at 5:33 AM
    CaptAmerica

Member:
    First Name:
    Cap
    Vehicle:
    As near as I can tell the computer certificates are out of date. I am having that exact issue on a home system with both Edge and Chrome. No matter what I do, nothing is updating. It pissed me off so much that I have gone straight Firefox on that home box and have had zero issues.

I've wondered if it's related to Windows 10. Don't care enough to run it down because that computer is temporary until I get off my ass and finally replace it.

10. Nov 17, 2020 at 6:31 AM
    CurtB

Member:
    First Name:
    Curt
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma SR5
    It's not just me then. This is on my refurbed Win7 machine. It doesn't happen on my laptop, also win7.
    Thanks for the reply.

11. Nov 17, 2020 at 6:37 AM
    CaptAmerica

Member:
    First Name:
    Cap
    Vehicle:
    My system is also old - formerly a Win7 system and isn't getting any more processor or motherboard updates. Probably 8 years old.

12. Nov 17, 2020 at 6:44 AM
    CurtB

Member:
    First Name:
    Curt
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma SR5
    I still can't print from this PC. I am sending what I want to print to my gmail account, to my phone, and printing from there. Not too handy. Can I set up a new network on this machine and add the other devices to it? I have no clue if it would work nor how to do it.

13. Nov 17, 2020 at 11:26 AM
    .劉煒

.劉煒 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Inferno DCSBTRDORMT
    Meh. Sucks that they're shutting down google cloud print. Got another month to figure out my solution (I guess just a local printserver or something idk)

14. Nov 17, 2020 at 11:27 AM
    0xDEADBEEF

0xDEADBEEF Trash Aficionado

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2000 reg cab 4x4 flatbed MT
    I have a raspberry pi next to my router that runs PiHole mainly, but also CUPS to get my 15 year old printer on the network.

15. Nov 18, 2020 at 2:31 PM
    replica9000

replica9000 Das ist no bueno

Member:
    Lake Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg
    Vehicle:
    2019 T4R ORP
    I never cared for using cloud services. Especially from Google since their services don't seem to last long.

xxTacocaTxx likes this.
  16. Nov 28, 2020 at 10:57 AM
    gmr102

gmr102 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Utah County
    Vehicle:
    Formerly: 2002 Silver Stepside TRD OR Ext Cab V6 Current: 2008 Lexus GX470
    I know there are a million things more complicated that IT professionals deal with than printers, but for real they are the single most frustrating thing I have to deal with. It doesn't seem to matter if it's a thermal printer a simple home printer or a multifunction copy and print station, there is always something wrong with those stupid things. Rant over.

17. Nov 28, 2020 at 9:24 PM
    replica9000

replica9000 Das ist no bueno

Member:
    Lake Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg
    Vehicle:
    2019 T4R ORP
    I hate printers too. Damn things always have issues printing simple things. I don't even own one anymore. I just drive to the nearest Kinko's/FedEx store to print things if I really need to.

FMRAV4 likes this.
  18. Dec 3, 2020 at 10:46 AM
    Kappes03

Kappes03 Legend of the UG

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    1996 Toyota Hilux Surf
    For those looking to renew A+, Network+ or Sec+ I highly recommend the CertMaster CE course. I took Sec+ back in 2014 and the 1st time renewing, work experience had counted for 25 of the 50 required units but currently you can only add 9 units max. The course gives you 5 sections with an assessment at the end of each which you have to get 100% on. Took about about a day and half to complete. Multiple choice questions and you can take each assessment as many times as it takes to get 100%. It updated my cert expiration date right after completing. The cost of the course also includes the yearly CE fees so I found it completely worth it. :spending:

Jester243, The_Hodge and xxTacocaTxx like this.
  19. Dec 4, 2020 at 5:25 AM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    It's definitely not bad if you only have CompTIA certs. Between Cisco, CompTIA, EC-Council, and ISC2, I've got enough ECEs/CEUs/whatever any other company wants to call them to go around. At that point, it's just a money scheme for them when they take in so many credits from other tests/webinars/quizzes/conferences/etc.

20. Dec 4, 2020 at 5:32 AM
    CaptAmerica

Member:
    First Name:
    Cap
    Vehicle:
    God, I hate chasing CPEs. But, I do like money, so...

xxTacocaTxx, The_Hodge and Kappes03 like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top