1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Jake brake feeling

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by jpneely, Jan 9, 2012.

1. Jan 17, 2013 at 6:27 PM
    sr5vic

sr5vic Buy & Hodl

Member:
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    '13 Access Cab SR5 4x4
    295/70/17 Geolander G003 M/T's, 17" Work S1HC's, 1" Bora Wheel Spacers, King 2.5 EXT Coilovers, King 2.5 Tundra Rears, Total Chaos UCA's, Total Chaos LCA's, BruteForce Fab Rear Bumper w/ Tire Carrier, OME Dakar CS047R Leaf Springs w/ D29XL AAL, 'OCTACO' Custom SS Brake Lines, Extended R.Diff Breather, RDI Aluminum Skid Plates, BAJADESIGNS Squadron Sport LED Yellow Fog Lights, BAJADESIGNS Squadron Sport LED Clear Front Spot Lights & Rear Work Lights TRD PRO Grill, TRD PRO Headlights, US Offroad Winch Mount, SmittyBilt X2O 10k Winch, RotoPax 2Gal. Fuel & Water Canisters , VIAIR Constant Duty OBA System, Custom Bussmann RTMR Panel, Total Chaos Bed Stiffeners, StopTech Slotted Rotors, TRD Brake Pads, Off-Grid Engineering Dual Battery System w/ Blue Sea 7622 ML-ACR 500 Relay, Dometic CFX40 w/ slide
    I don't know if I have the same proplem but I have a 5 speed and I feel a very simular thing. It does it more when warmed up tho. A millisecond hesitation while accelerating and what feels like a millisecond hesitation while hearing down with no throttle. 2013 4x4 sr5.. I keep saying to myself its normal cuz I only have 800km on the truck and I figure it would throw a code if something was wrong.. unless its drivetrain related? .... I have noticed 2nd gear is notchy and hard to get into while accelerating. ..

2. Jan 17, 2013 at 6:58 PM

127.0.0.1 AKA ::1

Member:
    /etc/hosts
    Vehicle:
    2013 NBM AC 4.0 4x4 Auto OR
    frig my Yaris does a similar thing. it is toyota engineering optimizing the transmission
    ecu program for emissions and economy, and also transmission lifetime

3. Jan 18, 2013 at 7:56 AM
    DGXR

DGXR Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Friend
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 2.7L SR5 2-wheel drive
    The very brief hesitation on accel and decel I suspect is due to the drive-by wire throttle control, mine feels the same way, it doesn't go exactly when I step on the gas the way my older vehicles did. And the notchiness in the shifter will likely smooth out in time... you have a brand-new truck! :drool: :goingcrazy: It's going to take quite some miles to really break it in, I'd be happy about that. :thumbsup:

4. Nov 9, 2015 at 2:54 PM
    Icecold

Icecold New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tocoma SRS 2WD
    I didn't have this problem until my dealership replaced my frame due to a recall and changed the transmission fluid. Now when i first dive of and come to a stop the car vibrates and stops for the rest of the ride.

Is there a fix for this or is it normal? Does anyone know if the vibration is treating up the gears?

5. Nov 23, 2015 at 3:30 PM
    DGXR

DGXR Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Friend
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 2.7L SR5 2-wheel drive
    I would not worry about the gears unless the vibration is approaching violent proportions. My 4-cyl auto truck does this vibration just about every day it's below around 40-45*F at startup... as the OP said, it happens when approaching the first stop of the day, when cold. I'm pretty sure it's a combination of the engine trying to hold a higher idle due to colder temp, and the transmission not downshifting quite properly. The higher idle setting is fighting the taller gear as the truck slows down, then it finally downshifts to first. It is definitely a noticeable vibration but I don't think it's "bad," especially because it has always done this and because it runs and drives just fine, after this initial hesitation to downshift.

Products Discussed in

To Top