1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Jake brake feeling

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by jpneely, Jan 9, 2012.

1. Dec 10, 2012 at 6:10 AM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 ASE Master Tech Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    Multi-point tow hooks, new bored 2.7L engine, custom paint. 3 inch adjustable Fabtech front coils, 2.5 inch rear AAL. Front Aussie locker. LED bed lights. Full LED conversion interior and exterior. Relentless Fabrication front and rear bumpers. 4X4innovation sliders. BAMF bed rack. CVT rooftop tent.
    Just to correct some misinformation here, the computer can and does sometimes prevent shifting into the higher gear when it is cold, but it does this to help warm up the transmission fluid, not to help warm up the engine.

2. Jan 17, 2013 at 6:27 PM
    sr5vic

sr5vic Remember?

Member:
    First Name:
    Bret
    Victoria BC
    Vehicle:
    '13 Access Cab SR5 4x4
    265/75/16 Duratracs, 16" Konig Countersteer Offroads, 1" Bora Wheel Spacers, Bilstein 5100's, Total Chaos UCA's, OME 884's, Wheelers's Offroad 2" AAL, Wheeler's 10mm Enhancer Kit, Wheeler's Extended Brake Lines, Trail Gear Diff. Breather, TRD Skid Plate, UWS Low Profile Tool Box, Yellow Fog Lights, Ultra Gauge, AVS Step Shields, 2014 Entune Premium Audio Navigation Head Unit, 2014 Steering Wheel Controls, D2S X Beam HID Retrofit with BLHM.
    I don't know if I have the same proplem but I have a 5 speed and I feel a very simular thing. It does it more when warmed up tho. A millisecond hesitation while accelerating and what feels like a millisecond hesitation while hearing down with no throttle. 2013 4x4 sr5.. I keep saying to myself its normal cuz I only have 800km on the truck and I figure it would throw a code if something was wrong.. unless its drivetrain related? .... I have noticed 2nd gear is notchy and hard to get into while accelerating. ..

3. Jan 17, 2013 at 6:58 PM

127.0.0.1 AKA ::1

Member:
    /etc/hosts
    Vehicle:
    2013 NBM AC 4.0 4x4 Auto OR
    frig my Yaris does a similar thing. it is toyota engineering optimizing the transmission
    ecu program for emissions and economy, and also transmission lifetime

4. Jan 18, 2013 at 7:56 AM
    DGXR

DGXR Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Friend
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 2.7L SR5 2-wheel drive
    aFe Pro Dry air filter, magnetic oil drain plug, synthetic seat covers, steering wheel cover
    The very brief hesitation on accel and decel I suspect is due to the drive-by wire throttle control, mine feels the same way, it doesn't go exactly when I step on the gas the way my older vehicles did. And the notchiness in the shifter will likely smooth out in time... you have a brand-new truck! :drool: :goingcrazy: It's going to take quite some miles to really break it in, I'd be happy about that. :thumbsup:

To Top