1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

jbl amp blows

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by clermontmx118, Nov 20, 2009.

1. Nov 20, 2009 at 7:08 AM
    clermontmx118

clermontmx118 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    gabe
    florida
    Vehicle:
    2005 tacoma
    i have a 2005 tacoma with the jbl upgraded system... supposedly if i hook up the sub the stock amp could possibly blow because it is so sensitive..i have two memphis audio tens in a box with a kicker sx 500.2 amp ...any suggestions on how i could make this work without rewiring the whole truck and buying a head unit?

2. Nov 20, 2009 at 7:24 AM
    AZFizik

AZFizik Slowpokeologist

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD OffRoad Prerunner
    TRD Catback & CAI, Fogs only, Recovered Armrests, BFG AT's
    The factory JBL amp is something like 200watts. Its enough for whats in there.

Depending on how competent you are at wiring, you could probably make a go of using the factory low voltage signal as a source for an aftermarket amp. The signal out of the factory head unit doesn't touch a high power source until it hits the amp....meaning that the signal into the amp is a line level source. I don't know what voltage it's at, or if its even an audio signal rather than a data signal, but it might be worth looking into if you're confident that you won't set anything on fire.

Otherwise, yeah, you're probably gonna have to go with an aftermarket headunit and just suck it up if you want good sound.

3. Nov 20, 2009 at 8:52 AM
    clermontmx118

clermontmx118 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    gabe
    florida
    Vehicle:
    2005 tacoma
    i was going to have it installed.. but the guys at autostyles in leesburg,fl said they have done a couple toyotas with the jbl upgrade and if the jbl amp senses even the slightest resistance it will "pop"... he said he has done a tacoma since and wired it in after the jbl amp somehow and didnt have a problem....does that sound safe, or should i just get rid of the aftermarket amp and subs and leave it stock... i cant afford to replace the stock amp right now ( supposedly $400) or buy a head unit .. thanks for your help.

4. Nov 20, 2009 at 9:58 PM
    neslerrah

neslerrah Taco lovin'

Member:
    First Name:
    Harrelsen
    Tucson
    Vehicle:
    5 lug BEAST!
    Secondary air filter removed, elbow mod, BFG T/A KO (31x10.5R15), 15" American Racing Mojaves, BHLM, Dome Light MOD (Blue), Pioneer headunit, Sockmonkey 'TACOMA' Decals, Readylift 5-lug SST, Rear Shocks - Bilstein TRD, Dynomax Super Turbo #17748, DDM Slim Ballast HID Kit H4 Hi/Lo -35W 6000K in headlights, Apexcone Raptor HID Kit H3 - 35W 6000K in Hella 500s, aFe CAI #51-10762, WeatherTech Floorliner, 200W Smart AC Inverter
    Welcome to TW.

Products Discussed in

To Top