1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

JBL tweeters in door of dub cab

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by EGtaco, Feb 24, 2010.

1. Feb 24, 2010 at 10:57 AM
    EGtaco

EGtaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma
    I am going to change out all the door speakers in my 09 double cab to POlk coax speakers. Can I keep the "upgraded" JBL tweeters in the front door with new Polk coax speakers? Would it sound good?? Or should I
    1. replace the tweeters with something new and better
    2. forget about the tweeters because I will have a coax speaker system in the frotd doors.

what would you do?

I will be adding a 75w amp to power all the door speakers too.

2. Feb 24, 2010 at 11:03 AM
    Lurkin

Lurkin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC
    I would seriously consider a set of components in the front and the coax's in the rear.

I would be very careful about re-using the JBL tweets unless you have a crossover to go with it, and know the impedance of the JBLs to ensure that they go with the Polks. Note that unless you have a crossover you need to ensure you know how to wire the two sets of speakers off of one amp leg, i.e., series and parallel circuit and what that does to the impedance load.

3. Feb 24, 2010 at 11:16 AM
    IrishPilot

IrishPilot Well-Known Member

Member:
    MN
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off-Road 4x4 Double Cab
    Id try straight coax first. If that doesnt suit your needs then try some tweeters.

Ive tried a few component sets and have found that having the tweeters where they are in our trucks seems to continuously make for trebly tones at higher volumes. Based on a suggestion from Mr Marv, Ive got some Hybrid Audio stuff on the way. The speakers can be run as either coax or component (tweets piggybacked on the speakers or placed up in their own position), but Marv was very insistent that I stick with a coax install in the doors to make for a more full sound. Apparently other owners have noticed how crisp-brash the audio performance can be when seperating the tweeters that far from the mids in our trucks.

Ill let you know what I find. They go in on friday.

Products Discussed in

To Top