1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

JBL upgrade (changing the head unit)

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by dack77, Feb 28, 2008.

1. Feb 28, 2008 at 1:44 PM
    dack77

dack77 [OP] New Member

Member:
    I am going to swap out the JBL head unit with most likely the kenwood dnx8120 when it comes out. I currently have an '08 double cab with the JBL system. I am having a hard time finding much info on the amp that comes with this system.

I remember reading some place that in order to use the JBL amp with the new Kenwood dnx8120 , I would need an adapter to get it to start up, I believe the amp has a digital turn on? I cant find any information on this, mostly because I have no idea what the item would be called and was hoping someone could help me out. I will be installing all of this on my own so I want to make sure I get it right to begin with.

If anyone can point me in the right direction with possibly a link to where I can pick on up, that would be great.

2. Feb 28, 2008 at 2:27 PM
    Munkey

Munkey Well-Known Member

Member:
    Paducah, KY
    Vehicle:
    2008 Radiant Red 4X4 Double Cab Sport
    OEM Tube Steps, Bed Extender, Pioneer Avic D3 with Bluetooth and XM Radio modules
  3. Feb 28, 2008 at 2:28 PM
    Munkey

Munkey Well-Known Member

Member:
    Paducah, KY
    Vehicle:
    OEM Tube Steps, Bed Extender, Pioneer Avic D3 with Bluetooth and XM Radio modules
  4. Feb 28, 2008 at 2:38 PM
    dack77

dack77 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Perfect, thanks guys

5. Mar 6, 2008 at 12:30 PM
    kevinkay

kevinkay Member

Member:
    St. Charles, IL
    Vehicle:
    2008 Double Cab TRD
    Hey Dack, I have the same truck and am planning on doing the same upgrade when it comes out. I followed both the links Munkey left, but they did not say they were for a 2008 JBL Tacoma. If you got one of these, do the instructions say they will work (maybe the web site is out of date)?

BTW, I just called Kenwood, and they said the DNX8120 won't be ready until April and the Crutchfield would be the first to get them.

6. Mar 6, 2008 at 1:08 PM
    maverick491

maverick491 Towing Guru

Member:
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 Access Cab, TRD off road, 6 cyl, 6 spd
    Activator III brake controller, Extang Fulltilt toneau, Factory bed mat, Extra D-rings in the bed, 2ndary air filter removed, Garmin Ique GPS, Eco-2, AFE Pro Dry-s filter, USASPEC PA12-toy, Pioneer 3-way speakers, SG II on Blendmount, Gulf States Alarm added.
    I am certain that the scosche one will work, and I'd lay odds that the other one will as well, since I would assume that they both operate the same way, but for certain scosche does not change ther application guides untill they need to, IE something different needs to be used. So if it says 03 toyota w/JBL and up, then it is any toyota with a JBL system.

example the speaker wiring adapters that I got for my truck from scosche I believe said toyota 97-98. It was still the same in an 07.

7. Mar 6, 2008 at 1:14 PM
    kevinkay

kevinkay Member

Member:
    St. Charles, IL
    Vehicle:
    2008 Double Cab TRD
    That's the reason I was confused. The Scosche one says it works with 2004-2006 Tacoma, and 2004-2006 Tundra JBL. They seem to make a difference between JBL and non JBL.

8. Mar 6, 2008 at 1:23 PM
    kevinkay

kevinkay Member

Member:
    St. Charles, IL
    Vehicle:
    2008 Double Cab TRD
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  9. Mar 6, 2008 at 2:38 PM
    maverick491

maverick491 Towing Guru

Member:
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 Access Cab, TRD off road, 6 cyl, 6 spd
    Activator III brake controller, Extang Fulltilt toneau, Factory bed mat, Extra D-rings in the bed, 2ndary air filter removed, Garmin Ique GPS, Eco-2, AFE Pro Dry-s filter, USASPEC PA12-toy, Pioneer 3-way speakers, SG II on Blendmount, Gulf States Alarm added.
    When I purchased my AFE filter, there were no results for 2007 4.0L tacoma, I had to put in 2006 to get a hit.

The Toyota Gulf States Alarm that I put in my truck yesterday said 05-06 Tacoma on the instructions. Worked fine in an 07.

There have been no significant changes on anything in these trucks since the 05 re-design. (Not counting the TPMS system that the 05's didn't have, and the shorter mudflaps that the 05 had)

I'd say that as long as it says something about JBL and a gen 2 truck you'll be good to go.

Now there ARE differences in the wiring in a JBL equipped truck and a non JBL equipped truck, so that is an important distinction, but the exact year not so much.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  10. Mar 6, 2008 at 3:25 PM
    dack77

dack77 [OP] New Member

Member:
    When I placed my order with crutchfield, they did not mention anything about the compatibility of this unit with the 2008 JBL systems. They did however, mention they have not been able to confirm that the swi-jack will work with the new kenwood decks, or the 2008 tacoma as well. So I guess I am going to be a bit of a guinea pig with that one.

Also according to the scosche website, the TA07SR will work from 2005-2007. So theres a little bit more conflicting information but as Adam has stated, nothing in the systems have changed. I have been doing a lot of research on this and everyone seems to be of the same opinion, that it will work just fine. Once I was able to get the basic information on what I needed, it helped a ton on finding out more info on it.

http://www.scosche.com/pdf/Scosche_2008_117_144_OEintegration.pdf

11. Mar 6, 2008 at 3:33 PM
    dack77

dack77 [OP] New Member

Member:
    I forgot to mention I have not received my order, but it should be here shortly. Aside from the head unit, I will have everything I need to install it once it arrives. I will double check the directions and see if they specifically mention anything of the 2008 when it comes tomorrow.

12. Mar 6, 2008 at 4:30 PM
    kevinkay

kevinkay Member

Member:
    St. Charles, IL
    Vehicle:
    2008 Double Cab TRD
    Again, we have the same thing going here. I looked at the install instructions for the DNX7120 and there are 6 preouts (2 front, 2 rear, 2 subwoofer). The Scosche unit only has 4 (2 front, 2 rear). I called Scoshe's tech support and they said just hook up the rear, but when I asked if the sub would work they said "I don't know, maybe". The 2 rear preout are red & white and so are the 2 subwoofer preouts. I'm guessing that the 2 rear will work, but when you play a DVD with 5.1 surround you won't get the decoding correct. This is not a big deal in a car, I guess. Please let us know (maybe some pics) when you get it and when you start.

13. Mar 6, 2008 at 4:50 PM
    06tacoma

06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tampa FL
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner SR5 XS-P Trd Longbed Double Cab
    20" enkei wheel,BFG G-Force tires, BHLM, Smoked tail lights, 2 RE Audio 10s, Quantom 900watt amp,10000K HIDs headlights and fog lamps,Borla exhaust, Borla drop in filter,Debadged tailgate,Painted black tacoma badges
    okay i got a couple questions i have the upgraded jbl system i plan on replacing it soon with a double din dvd unit would i need to buy one of these adapters also is there any other way around this to me the jbl amp is a pain in the ass i was going to take it out when i instaled my sub encloser but i was pretty sick of playing with after i installed the hi/low has anyone took this amp out ran the highs to another amp

14. May 6, 2008 at 10:29 AM
    Slvr_DblTaco

Slvr_DblTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chicago's western suburbs
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma DblCab Sport PreRunner
    new grill, black headlight mod, tinted front glass, ToyTec coils overs, 33" nittos for winter, 33" BFGs for summer, Metra iPod adapter
    Hey guys,
    how difficult would it be to upgrade TO the JBL-Toyota system?
    I'd like to buy the stock JBL pieces if you are all upgrading.

Is there a huge difference in the wiring? I have the regular in dash CD (non-JBL).

Anybody interested in selling me their JBL steering wheel/6-disc head unit/speakers and amp? I would include my stock steering wheel for your JBL.(gotta have one of those mounted up, right???)

Thanks,
    Bob

15. May 6, 2008 at 11:14 AM
    Munkey

Munkey Well-Known Member

Member:
    Paducah, KY
    Vehicle:

Not sure how difficult this would be but I doubt it would be an easy job. I think it would be WAY more cost effective and easier to just go with aftermarket parts instead.

16. May 6, 2008 at 11:17 AM
    Slvr_DblTaco

Slvr_DblTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chicago's western suburbs
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma DblCab Sport PreRunner
    new grill, black headlight mod, tinted front glass, ToyTec coils overs, 33" nittos for winter, 33" BFGs for summer, Metra iPod adapter
    The one thing I am really after is the steering wheel mounted stereo controls.

Products Discussed in

To Top