1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Jeep Vs. Toyota

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by VICECIV, Oct 19, 2010.

1. Oct 19, 2010 at 6:56 PM
    VICECIV

VICECIV [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCSB TRD OR in Quicksand
    None (yet)
    Ok, so its kinda in the name, but i wanna get your opinions on this topic.

I know a toyota forum isnt the place to ask if i should get a jeep.

That aside, Has anyone here owned a Wrangler and switched to a taco?

If you did, why?

Are you happy with the switch?

Help me make the right decision.

2. Oct 19, 2010 at 7:00 PM
    ktmrider

ktmrider Senior Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB 4x4 Sport S/C
    Junk
    I have a 89 YJ and I love both vehicles. The wrangler is my beater as well

3. Oct 19, 2010 at 7:01 PM
    blackhawke88

blackhawke88 wo ai ni bao bei ^_^

Member:
    SGV, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Offroad
  4. Oct 19, 2010 at 7:04 PM
    desertdude59

desertdude59 CRAZY 4WHEELER

Member:
    From the Mojave desert now in Wild and Wonderful W
    Vehicle:
    1991 toyota 4x4 sr5-lost but not forgotten
    4" lift after market front bumper bed mount lightbar/roll bar (4)6" kc's on the roll bar (2) kc flat back bumper mounts f/r gears for the 33's
    I owned a 2001 wrangler. It always felt like it was going to tip over when wheel'n, the top was loud, and it got terrible gas MPG's

5. Oct 19, 2010 at 7:05 PM
    06redtacoma

06redtacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    06 Trd Offroad
    Lifted, Slider, stock rack, rear mounted winch in stock bumper, brush guard, Sound system, ipod to car, tint, wheel spacers, 285 bfg AT,
    No doubt about that but i have driven several of the new wranglers and it feels like they come with tires that are 2 sizes to big, or like it needs a regear from the factory (esp the manuals). also they ride squishy you kind of feel out of control the entire time. with a 4 inch lift and a long arm kit the ride is much improved believe it or not ( i think this is due to much much stronger control arms and metal bushings vs the stamped steel and rubber bushing from the factory). I started looking at the girlfriend getting one and the new one are much much better but there motor really sucks. bad gas no power. and the safety was what was the final nail in the coffin.

6. Oct 19, 2010 at 7:06 PM
    toyotatacomaTRD

toyotatacomaTRD Senior Member

Member:
    Couldn't agree more.

Towing capacity also comes to mind. Jeeps are not very capable when it comes to that.

7. Oct 19, 2010 at 7:07 PM
    Khaos

Khaos Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD SPORT Prerunner
    3” spacer lift, 285/75/17 KO2, Spidertrax 1.25” spacers
    I choose the Taco over a TJ because I wanted the extra comfort and power.

I would love to own a Wrangler.

8. Oct 19, 2010 at 7:07 PM
    CaptainFun

CaptainFun That Guy

Member:
    Washington DC
    Vehicle:
    2005 Double Cab 4x4
    I don't think its a question so much of the two makes. I bought my Tacoma because it fit what I need my vehicle to do. I considered a Wrangler but decided the double cab Tacoma would fit my needs better. Everyone has an opinion but few are educated. If you want a smaller and highly capable off road vehicle a Wrangler is a good option to consider. I personally needed to be able to haul stuff and people while still being confident I will be getting my cargo there and back again safely and reliably. Hence my truck. :D

9. Oct 19, 2010 at 7:07 PM
    98_Mud_bug

98_Mud_bug 98_mud_bug

Member:
    lucedale Ms.
    Vehicle:
    98 tacoma sr5/ 06 x-runner
    3 inch suspension lift, night shades corner and blinkers projector headlights with halos and 3 led's 18 inch kmc xd rockstar wheels,275/65/18 kelly safari tsr's, bush whacker fender flares 7 inch touch screen, 2 kenwood 12's, Magnaflow exaust single in dual out,
    good: jeeps are bad ass, solid axle, lockers front and rear, and a roll cage all stock..
    bad: no bed, shitty ride, unless its a hard top they usually leak.. i wouldnt trade my taco for a jeep any day.

10. Oct 19, 2010 at 7:08 PM
    stucksucksnayota

stucksucksnayota Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Barry
    Fort Smith, Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    14 Taco 4x4 TRD Sport DCSB
    OEM roof rack, Shorty antenna (eBay), soft tonneau cover, K&N drop in air filter, bed mat, interior LED lights, 5100's, MT tires to come soon!!!
    But the Taco will run 4 times aslong as the Heep will!

Just my opinion 98% of the Jeeps I have rode in drove etc have just felt cheap and just aren't build as good as a Toyota or even a Chevy.
    Yes they are the most trail capable out of the box. But I guess its just depends on what you are looking for. If you want something you can will, drive around town and be comfortable, and maybe haul stuff or things like that then i would say get a tacoma. If you are planning on alot of wheeling and stuff like that then get a Heep!

11. Oct 19, 2010 at 7:09 PM
    fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!
  12. Oct 19, 2010 at 7:09 PM
    TacomaMan07

TacomaMan07 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chandler
    Tuscaloosa, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5 DC
    Black Toolbox; Bed Mat; BFG ATs 265/75/16
    If this is going to be your daily car, then get the Taco. A jeep, for me, would be a weekend car at best. I have never liked them. Jeep doesn't produce good quality IMO. TIFWIW

13. Oct 19, 2010 at 7:10 PM
    SOSHeloPilot

SOSHeloPilot My 1st Muscle Car

Member:
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    2023 RAV4 XLE Premium
    Missing My Last Tacoma --- Had 11 Toyota trucks in the past and many other Toyota cars too.

I had a CJ5 and it was great off road ... and horrible on the road (due to short wheel base).

14. Oct 19, 2010 at 7:10 PM
    VICECIV

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    None (yet)
    My biggest beef at this point is their reliability. I have ALWAYS wanted one, but never got the chance(im only 24..lol) I've had my taco since 2002, and the only things i've changed are the tires and the oil. My bosses 2005 rubicon is in the shop no kidding about once every 2 months. Besides that, i know the gas milaege is terrible, and they are loud as hell.

All that said....DAMN i still want one.

I just have that dream of taking the top off and removing the doors, putting on a pair of flip flops and a white tank top, and goin down to the beach.

15. Oct 19, 2010 at 7:11 PM
    Khaos

Khaos Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD SPORT Prerunner
    3” spacer lift, 285/75/17 KO2, Spidertrax 1.25” spacers
    Can't say much about the reliability of a TJ or JK, but I have several friends who have the YJ that are well past the 200K mark that have been beat to hell and back and still run. Just about any vehicle will last if it was properly maintained IMHO.

16. Oct 19, 2010 at 7:12 PM
    VICECIV

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    None (yet)
    Thats another thing....aftermarket parts are WAY cheaper for jeeps. everybody and their momma makes custom parts, lifts, bumpers, accesories, etc.

17. Oct 19, 2010 at 7:12 PM
    CaptainFun

CaptainFun That Guy

Member:
    Washington DC
    Vehicle:
    2005 Double Cab 4x4
    :cheers:

18. Oct 19, 2010 at 7:15 PM
    rocket_scientist

rocket_scientist Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern VA
    I have owned 3 Jeeps so far, plus 2 Tacomas and a 4 runner which I guess means I have some experience. I just sold my 2006 Unlimited Rubicon and bought a 2010 Tacoma Access Cab Off road. Some days I miss the Jeep and some days I am glad I sold it.

Some backround information on why I sold. I recently moved to Southern California (San Clemente) from Coastal North Carolina. I spend a lot of time on the road here and the Jeep was no longer stock. I had full armor, winch, long arm suspension, re-geared to 4.88 and on 35 inch MTZ's on the Jeep. The vehicle was short of power on the road and was very rough to drive due to the mud terrains, in short, I would be run over and killed on the highways out here.

In 95% of driving the Tacoma is far superior (highway, and dirt roads). Most of my trips now days are long distance expedition type trips, usually as a jump off point to go hiking. In the other 5% of crazy ass off roading (rock crawling mainly), nothing can touch the Jeep. Also, taking down the top and doors and going for a drive is great. Of course, don't plan on taking anything with you aside from your girl and your dog. And if you do have anything with you, don't plan on it being around if you are not (like my stereo system), depending on where you live of course.

To sum up, if you don't have a lot of miles to cover and want to hit some hard core trails go with the jeep. If you want a long range exploration vehicle, go with the Toyota. This is my personal experience and your mileage may vary!

19. Oct 19, 2010 at 7:17 PM
    toyotatacomaTRD

toyotatacomaTRD Senior Member

Member:
    Well put.

20. Oct 19, 2010 at 7:25 PM
    06redtacoma

06redtacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    06 Trd Offroad
    Lifted, Slider, stock rack, rear mounted winch in stock bumper, brush guard, Sound system, ipod to car, tint, wheel spacers, 285 bfg AT,
    Tacoma owners should not complain about the lack of aftermarket support, my little brother drives a Nissan Titan (its a heap) but they have nothing for it. and the parts that are made for the cost like 5 times what they should, we are ordering him some sliders that are made for a tacoma and modifying them to fit the titan.

BTW i dont know anyone with a inline 4.0 that has not blown the head by 125k, and the transmission is like disposable in those jeeps on average with towing and oversize tires 80k.

Products Discussed in

To Top