1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

JL 10w3v3-4 Sub Box/Wiring advice

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by TorenApart, Jul 16, 2008.

1. Jul 16, 2008 at 5:03 PM
    TorenApart

TorenApart [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 Double Cab SR5 TRD Sport
    Toytec Ultimate Lift Kit, OME Nitrocharger shocks and Dakar leafs, Total Chaos UCA's, 18'' Black XD Monster, 285/60R18 Cooper Zeon LTZ, Leer shell, OEM Skid Plate, Weather Tech Floor Mats, Lund Tonneau, Custom 2-tone gray leather, Aero Turbine 2525 muffler with AR25 resonator, Aero Turbine Exhaust Tip, Mr. Marv subwoofer enclosure w/ 2 JL 10W3v2's, AFE Pro Dry S, Eclipse AVN-6620, Pioneer PRS-D2100T, Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5'' Front Components, Black Headlight Mod, Tinted tail lights, PL5300 with Eclipse BEC-109
    I am in the process of putting together the stereo for my 2006 DC.

I am going with JL all around. More specifically, I got sweet deals on a 500/1 amp ($175) and 2 10w3v3-4 (one so far for $75 brand new, still working on the 2nd)

I plan on buying the box from HERE

My question is:

For these subs, will the additional 5/8 mounting depth you can add for $20 be my best option?
    Getting somewhat

Also, if I need to wire these subs to 4ohms, would this box be more hassle than it's worth due to the complexity of the wiring pattern?

I appreciate any help! I am totally pumped to install soon!

2. Jul 18, 2008 at 7:00 PM
    sooner07

sooner07 1/2 man 1/2 amazing

Member:
    First Name:
    A A Ron
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Debadged 2008 Rugged Trail
    Toytec ultimate lift kit, light racing UCAs, ARB bumper and full skid plates underneath. Looking into redoing the suspension and maybe repainting the ol' Taco.
    I forget what the maximum depth for my setup is, but MrMarv knows. He is the one that built my box, and I will reccommend him if you want a solid well built box. Not saying there is anything wrong with the box from supercrew sound; there are many good reports from there. I just have had a good experience with Marv.

As for you, the extra 5/8" will be needed. But, I would be concerned with where that depth is obtained. If they are adding a ring the the outside of the box, then you will likely have issue with rubbing. If they are somehow cutting a depression in the box on the inside behind the magnet, then I'd worry about a weak spot in the box. Either way, the sub you have picked out will not fit properly in that box. The only way I see the extra depth being obtained in a proper fashion would be to change the overall design of the box so that it is narrower but taller or wider (probably taller).

As for the wiring, the box wouldn't be a hassle at all. All you'd do is connect the (+) and (-) terminals on the sub to the mounting cup and from there splice the (+) from one terminal cup to the (+) of the other at the amp and the same with the negative. (I can email you a MS paint diagram if need be).

The

3. Jul 18, 2008 at 9:34 PM
    Mr Marv

Mr Marv 1-831-383-0308 7am-10pm pst Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Marv
    Monterey Bay California
    Vehicle:
    Custom Built Enclosures/speaker adapters etc
    You will need that additional depth for 10W3v"3"s however it will also push the subs right up against the back seat (IMO 10W3v"2"s would be a better choice).

4. Jul 19, 2008 at 11:07 AM
    TorenApart

TorenApart [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 Double Cab SR5 TRD Sport
    Toytec Ultimate Lift Kit, OME Nitrocharger shocks and Dakar leafs, Total Chaos UCA's, 18'' Black XD Monster, 285/60R18 Cooper Zeon LTZ, Leer shell, OEM Skid Plate, Weather Tech Floor Mats, Lund Tonneau, Custom 2-tone gray leather, Aero Turbine 2525 muffler with AR25 resonator, Aero Turbine Exhaust Tip, Mr. Marv subwoofer enclosure w/ 2 JL 10W3v2's, AFE Pro Dry S, Eclipse AVN-6620, Pioneer PRS-D2100T, Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5'' Front Components, Black Headlight Mod, Tinted tail lights, PL5300 with Eclipse BEC-109
    Cool, thanks. I just picked up my v3 so I may be looking to sell that.

Would the JL 10w3v2 be the BEST speaker? Would a 2 ohm or 4 ohm be better? I am running the JL 500/1 amp to whatever I buy, and am going for sound quality, so that is worth considering.

5. Jul 19, 2008 at 12:10 PM
    Mr Marv

Mr Marv 1-831-383-0308 7am-10pm pst Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Marv
    Monterey Bay California
    Vehicle:
    Custom Built Enclosures/speaker adapters etc
    Unfortunately there is no such thing as the "best" sub for every application however IMO the W3's are very nice. :) Proper damping (a function of the enclosure's airspace which is why "one size does NOT fit all"), midbass response, phase, crossover frequency/slope and tuning by way of the EQ all play important roles in making any sub sound "it's best" for your specific application/listening tastes.
    "Technically" the JL slash amps should put out the same power at 4 ohms and 2 ohms however tests have shown they actually increase power at 2 ohms so if you need the extra power get the coils that will allow you a final load of 2 ohms.

Products Discussed in

To Top