1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

JL Audio advice

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by TRDfly, Mar 3, 2008.

1. Mar 3, 2008 at 6:13 PM
    TRDfly

TRDfly [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Traverse City, MI
    Vehicle:
    Silver 07 DC, TRD off-road....it's the bomb!!
    DRL, Black Headlight mod, H.I.D's, Wet Ass Seatcovers, White instrument cluster, Illuminated 4x4 switch.
    Hello TW, just looking for a little advice from the audio heads in the audience with regards to a possible JL Audio setup.:D

I want to go with JL Audio 6x9's and twitter fronts with the 6's in the back (DC Tacoma) but what's the difference with the TR and VR series speakers? I've seen the website but it's still confusing to me. It doesn't seem like a big difference.

What's the difference to crossover or not? They have a CSi and CXi, and yes, I know one has the crossover and the other doesn't. What is best?

In the end, what I'm looking for is this.

Keep the stock head unit. (At least for a while)
    New Twitters
    New 6x9's
    New 6's for the back
    possible JL's stealth box later
    an Amp to drive this.
    And hopefully a setup I can do myself or mostly myself.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Peace out!!!!!!!:cool:

2. Mar 3, 2008 at 9:34 PM
    PatheticJoe

PatheticJoe Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 TRD Sport - Access Cab
    The TR and VRs are made from different materials giving one a better response. I've heard both and I could not hear a difference but some audiophiles might be able to. The CSi and CSx's really boil down to installing a tweeter and finding a home for the x-over. Since our trucks have a place for the tweeter and the x-over can go in the door you might as well go with components. However if your thinking about putting them in the rear then I'd go with the coaxials (unless the DC has a tweeter mount in the back, Access cabs don't). You'll find most amps will fit under the seat and once you get those JLs powered right you'll be in heaven. As much as I love JL I'd recommend not getting a stealthbox, you can get something just as nice for a third of the price. Good luck with the upgrade and let us know how it sounds when you get it done.

3. Mar 3, 2008 at 9:38 PM
    PatheticJoe

Member:
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    BTW, unless your installing a JL Cleansweep, GET RID OF THE STOCK HEAD UNIT NOW, best thing you can do for your system and one of the most affordable.

4. Mar 5, 2008 at 4:57 PM
    richie822

richie822 Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 access cab
    has anyone heard or have the jl audio vr-690-cxi? i do not plan on getting a sub later on......just trying to upgrade my four door speakers and add an amp...was thinking about going with 6x9's in the front and 6 1/2's in the back...i think that 6x9's might produce a little more bass as i do not plan on getting a sub but i cuold be wrong? want decent bass ... wuold components be better up front if no sub is going to be installed? you guys have any suggestions? jl audio? alpines? infinity kappas? ....

5. Mar 7, 2008 at 6:56 AM
    TRDfly

Member:
    Traverse City, MI
    Vehicle:
    DRL, Black Headlight mod, H.I.D's, Wet Ass Seatcovers, White instrument cluster, Illuminated 4x4 switch.
    Well things have changed a little. So I went into a local dealer and asked about the Jl Audio speakers and now I'm seriously thinking of going ALL OUT.......

Kenwood DNX8120
    Kenwood Speakers and 10" sub
    JL Audio Amp
    Connection to keep the steering wheel controls
    Blue Tooth hookup
    and maybe a camera in the back......

Holy C**P.....and $2600 later??!!!!!

I must be nuts!!!

I'm debating on doing some of this myself to cut the cost down but really, what would I be saving compared to the headache of something not working??!!

Any advice?? Help before I drain my savings account!!!!!!

6. Mar 7, 2008 at 10:04 AM
    PatheticJoe

Member:
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    Depends on how good a deal the guy is giving you on all the hardware. If you shop around on the web and use places like Ebay and do the install youself you could save $1000 or more if the dealer is high. Personally I love doing car audio myself and I've installed over 20 systems so I know what I'm doing and would only consider a dealer if I needed custom fiberglass or something. However as you pointed out if you do screw something up in all likely hood you will probably have wished the dealer did it. So debate your skill against your finances and see which one wins.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  7. Mar 7, 2008 at 11:43 AM
    TRDfly

Member:
    Traverse City, MI
    Vehicle:
    I guess what I'm really questioning is what is the markup on the radio (Kenwood dnx8120) and the speakers are. I mean the radio isn't out anywhere from what research I've done, just announced at Vegas thus the price will remain steady. Usually this stuff tends to depreciate faster then a new car but I don't know. I haven't looked into systems like this since High School (20+ years) so I really don't know. What's your experience with these new Nav/Radio combo unit's?

Yo Joe, If I was still out west (Santa Clara) I'd look you up because I have no problem doing the job with some supervision. Crap, it can't be harder then doing the black head light mod on the Tacoma!!! Hmmmm, what to do......

8. Mar 7, 2008 at 12:44 PM
    PatheticJoe

Member:
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    We're all different, I totally massacred the BHLM but can do car audio easy. As for the headunit why something so new? There are lots of great ones out there from last year that should do you just fine. And as for value I've resold almost all my car audio stuff for a very good return so IMO the stuff retains value very well.

9. Mar 7, 2008 at 2:41 PM
    richie822

richie822 Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 access cab
    does the jl audio vr690-cxi fit in the front doors of toyota tacomas access cab? supposedly the mounting depth for them is 3.44, but when i went to taco tunes i think i recall them saying the max depth is 3.25.....will i have problems? does anyone have these in their tacomas?

10. Mar 7, 2008 at 4:58 PM
    TRDfly

Member:
    Traverse City, MI
    Vehicle:
    Joe, As for something new, the DNX8120 seems to be what I would like because it's just understated enough to look stock. I like the clean look plus I know it's been evolved from the DNX7120 so it's not really "new", hopefully most if not all the bugs are worked out of it.

11. Mar 7, 2008 at 5:55 PM
    PatheticJoe

Member:
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    Wow, I had no idea that DNX8120 was $1600. That is steep. Given that if your only paying another grand for all the rest I'd say the dealer is not a bad route. I only paid $140 for my headunit but it does all I need.

12. Mar 7, 2008 at 6:12 PM
    TRDfly

Member:
    Traverse City, MI
    Vehicle:
    Joe, You see!!!! You put it like that and you have to wonder how much better the sound can be!!!

On the flip-side however, I have a Garmin 680 that I could probable get $500 if I sold it off. It would clean up the look inside the truck and get the tunes rockin......ok fine, still not worth $2600!!!!! Oh what to do, what to do??!!

13. Mar 7, 2008 at 6:54 PM
    Coheednme13

Coheednme13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    MattDaddy
    Elgin, SC
    Vehicle:
    11 DC TRD Sport
    Richie if you use the ********* mounts or get Mr. Marv to make you some custom baffles than you should be ok. The ********* mounts are like an inch or an inch and a half thick so that will help you with the mounting depth. Hope this helps.

14. Mar 8, 2008 at 11:22 PM
    Jester234

Jester234 Member

Member:
    Mesa, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2007 Toyota Tacoma, Prerunner, Sport, 4.0 L
    AFE Air Intake, Serius Sat. radio install, magnaflow exhaust, westin nerf bars, much more to come
    Well i see your delima and this is what i'm doing ordered myself a box for 2 10's. got 2 jl's for that. got a kit for the box and subs. (diagram included) ordered a kenwood 7100 off ebay. amp from carstereo.com. installing all speakers and amps myself. and bribing a pro from Audio Express to put in the deck. (A side job) then all i need is door speakers and i'm done. silky smooth setup for about 1600.:cool: (gps/ serius/ i-pod/ blue tooth/ much more) now all i need is a new alarm to page me. so i can beat down anyone who tries and steal it. lol :D
    box 150
    jl's 100 a piece
    kit 50
    kenwood deck 850
    amp jl 200
    bribe 250

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.

Products Discussed in

To Top