1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Job oppertunities: Alaska, Local or internship

Discussion in 'Jobs & Careers' started by DanGer, Sep 6, 2009.

1. Sep 6, 2009 at 5:32 PM
    DanGer

DanGer [OP] Avatar approved by 98tacomav6

Member:
    Northern Virginia & Blacksburg
    Vehicle:
    07 Base 4Cyl 4x4 Manual
    White Head Light mod, White shorty antennae, Doug Thorley Long Tube headers, AFE Drop in air filter, Secondary Air Filter Removed,
    Warning: Long read

So I am trying to figure out which path to pursue with employment for next summer. Next summer I want to study abroad, but can't afford to. My parents offered to help if I get above a 3.0 the next two semesters, but this will be very tough to do, so I am keeping my options open.

First of all, I am a mechanical engineering major, Arabic and Nuclear engineering minor. I need about 150-160 credits to graduate. Unless it is in the nuclear field, I don't think I will pursue engineering as a career (another story entirely)

The first option which I pursued last summer is getting a summer job in alaska. I vacationed there last spring and fell in love with the place. I contacted some wanted ads on craigslist and other job sites and ended up getting a few offers. The best one was to live on a ranch, guide tours where customers are led on horseback to pan for gold, and then take care of the horses. I ended up deciding to return to my old job for half of summer while taking classes the other half. I would live in a tent or be housed most likely without phone or internet. I would love that and think it would be an amazing experience

Another option last summer was get a job with Virginia Uranium. The largest uranium deposit in the US was found in Virginia (see my thread: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/of...ia-largest-uranium-deposit-us.html#post911275 ). I was offered a small internship with them over the summer, but decided not to take it (again wanted to take classes, plus it would only be office work since all the research has been completed, and they are working on legislation now).

The last option is to get a garden variety engineering internship locally, or at a power plant within a few hours of my house. I would make the most money this way, and gain good work experience. This is the safest option, but I don't want to enter the workforce yet. I want to get the best experiences and the most out of life that I can before pursueing my career.

Anyone have any input?

2. Sep 6, 2009 at 6:09 PM
    mpgnc64

mpgnc64 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike and Denise
    Western NC
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Access cab 4cyl 5spd, 2000 Prerunner
    Tool box, Thule rack, rod holders, 5100s at 1.75 and the TSB
    If you want to study abroab they have a Central Texas College in Iraq. Nowadays every one wants to get big bucks for an apprenticeship. Take an internship, your there to learn not make the fortune 500.

3. Oct 3, 2009 at 3:14 PM
    akwagon

akwagon Alaska Dude

Member:
    First Name:
    chris
    alaska
    Vehicle:
    08 Access 5spd 4x4
    5100, kazktin leather, truxedo
    Come back up here.... Love this place!!

To Top