1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Joining the Air Force

Discussion in 'Military' started by fghtngsquirrel, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Feb 4, 2010 at 11:08 AM
    Doc.SS

Doc.SS ︻╦╤─

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    O'side
    Vehicle:
    T4R SR5
    Very funny, since I gave advice to someone wanting to enlist in the Marines to NOT do it and to finish hs school and become an officer. linky

I'd still suggest you go the officer route, then again, you are talking about the Air Force and as a member of 'The Real Armed Forces' ;) and knowing they have a better quality of life, I'd say go ahead and enlist in the Air Force. Actually, no, go the 'O' route and get better pay, benefits and a lot of other intangible things that the paygrade has associated with it.
    Honestly, I like the Air Force, I am an Air Force brat and both my parents were enlisted. One was a C-130 mechanic and the other dealt with hydraulics/pneudraulics instruction. I kid about being a member of 'The Real Armed Forces' when everyone in uniform kicks ass in their own special way.

2. Feb 14, 2010 at 3:06 PM
    ETAV8R

ETAV8R Out DERP'n

Member:
    Republik of Commiefornia
    Vehicle:
    MGM 09 AC 4WD V6 TRD-OR w/ Tradesman Shell
    Just the basics
    Air Guard is your best bet. Check other units in your area that you might be willing to commute to on your weekend drill. You will most likely make friends there and have a more local place to stay. My mom did that essentially for 20 years with the ANG.

If you go enlisted try to get something that can crossover in the civilian world. Air traffic control is a great choice.

I don't know what your choice would be as an officer. If you have any desire to be a pilot enlist first, then while you are enlisted finishe your degree and by that time you will have your packet on the way for flight training. Now if that happens and you make the wise move to fly something with more than one engine, IE transport, fly tons of missions, essentially active duty with the ANG. When your hours are looking good you apply to a major airline and start making coin. This is exactly what the son of the former wing commander did and now flies for American Airlines making good money.

3. Feb 21, 2010 at 2:53 AM
    Wing

Wing 2015 World Series Champions!

Member:
    First Name:
    Grant
    Albuquerque
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC TSS
    YELLOW LAMINEX FOGS K&N 63 SERIES CAI WINDOW FLARES STUBBY ANTENNA WEATHERTECH MATS
    Crew Chief here. If you value your sanity, don't go a wrenchin'! Recreational maintenance is for the birds. Pun intended. My father was civilian ATC/FAA for thirty years after he finished flying C-7's in Vietnam. He was stressed out a lot but made a good living doing it!

Products Discussed in

To Top