1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Joyner

Discussion in 'All Terrain Vehicles' started by MowTaco, May 28, 2013.

1. May 28, 2013 at 12:18 PM
    MowTaco

MowTaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    16 Chevrolet Silverado
    http://www.joyner-atv-utv.com/

Anybody have one or even heard of them? It's a pretty standard Chinese ATV/UTV company. A few years ago, my dad picked up a Renegade for pretty damn cheap. We discussed the usual dangers of getting one of these knockoffs but it was quite a steal so he bit the bullet and bought it.They use a Chery 3 cylinder engine. I like it cause it's got a 5 speed transmission rather than the usual CVT in UTVs. It also comes from the factory with front and rear lockers and some schweet light bars.

Anywho, we've been kinda battling several gremlins with it and wanted to get the collective TW opinion on the issues. The main problem is intermittent starting problems. First of all, the starter doesn't want to engage. It'll just click once each time you turn it on and off and then it'll do the rapid fire click finally on one turn and if you hold it it'll crank and then eventually fire. This we haven't looked into too closely but seems pretty obviously to be the starter contacts.

Now, after it does finally fire up it runs well most of the time. Occasionally, it will idle really high after finally starting (like 2-3k rpms) and will sometimes surge up and down in RPMS at idle (really inconvenient when trying to engine brake on steep hills)

All that aside, it typically will at least start and run. After running for awhile, however, it absolutely will not start again when hot. It'll crank and crank and crank and nothing. If you give it a shot of ether, it'll fire right up again. This leads me to believe it's a fuel delivery problem. It has EFI, making this thing pretty hard to chase around. There's all kinds of other little quirks it has, like randomly all the gauges will be pegged out sometimes and once in awhile the entire electrical system will totally go dead for awhile. We have several theories on it, one friend thinks it's a computer that's fried and others think it's a bad ground somewhere, as well as some other random ideas. Any of you guys have any thoughts? I'm stumped. There's so many random things to chase around that it's hard to systematically work through things and new stuff seems to always be popping up.

To Top