1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

July Al-Can road trip

Discussion in 'Travel' started by KodiakToyTRD, Jan 9, 2011.

1. Jan 9, 2011 at 1:48 PM
    KodiakToyTRD

KodiakToyTRD [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout
    Alright guys, this post is just for info, idea's, and to share your experience's.

I'm getting discharged from the Guard in July and will be taking a road trip through Alaska, down through Canada to the lower 48 via the Al-Can. Who's done it? I drove from Haines to Homer on my way to Kodiak and really didn't encounter too many issues but this trip is a little longer. What did you guys bring? What maintenance did you perform on your truck/vehicle before going and after completing this trip? I am bringing this up now so I can get it all taken care of and ready to go within the next 6 months. Any and all thoughts, etc are welcomed!

2. Feb 7, 2011 at 10:35 PM
    KodiakToyTRD

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout
    Anyone have any idea's? I've got good breaks, I'll be picking up new tires in Anchorage once I get there after traveling from Homer. Ferry leaves July 13th in the PM. Gonna stay the night in Kenai at relatives. I know theres a few AK Taco owners on here, lets hear your input! Also maybe a meet and greet for the ANC guys?

3. Feb 10, 2011 at 3:54 PM
    Comanator

Comanator Member

Member:
    OREGON
    Vehicle:
    4 Door 4x4
    I did that trip up and back in my 99 F-150 (2004 and 2006). Recently purchased a Tacoma. I'm not sure how bad the roads are now but there were def some rough spots in my travels. I ended up with 2 cracks in my windshield. It was recomended that I put some screen material over the grill to keep out the gravel/rocks but I didn't bother and had no problems there. Be sure to stop by Whitehorse, Canada..Take a hike on their cliff trails around the lake, get your hair cut by Murd the barber, and then spend the night in the bar across the street from his shop. They've got free condoms in a grab-basket as you walk in the front door...use 'em. Enjoy your trip!

4. Mar 1, 2011 at 1:21 PM
    MTgirl

MTgirl too many frogs, not enough princes... Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Weesa
    Bob's secret mod lair
    Vehicle:
    Then: 12 T4R SR5 Now: 99 - 3.4L SR5 4WD
    Wheeler's/Alcan 5-pack leaf springs, OME 881's, de-badged, Jungle Fender Flares, Herculined bed, HomerTaco grille, Anzo headlights, clear corners,
    I drove from Butte, MT to Kenai, AK a few years back...it wasn't too bad of a trip, just long!! 2,700 miles in 5 days.
    If you're traveling alone bring lots of music, books on tape, anything to keep you from either going crazy or falling asleep. In July beware of the tourists in their Class A motorhomes (scary). We didn't worry too much about the vehicles, just make sure all of your fluids are topped off and regular maintenance is done.

My trip log was:
    day 1 Butte, MT to Radium Hot Springs, AB (had to go through Banff)
    day 2 to Fort St John, BC
    day 3 to Watson Lake, YT (longest day, really curvy road)
    day 4 to Tok, AK
    day 5 to Kenai, AK

What route do you plan on taking? There are lots of little places to stop along the way...too many to list really.

5. Mar 1, 2011 at 1:36 PM
    ink junky

ink junky I love tacos too!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    TACO LOVER
    TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 trd off road DC,
    Aero turbine 2525, Snorkel, AFE pro dry drop in filter, BFG 33s, spydertraxwheel spacers :/. Debadged, rebadged black, TW sticker :D, bed lights, rod holders, OEM roof rack, Complete OME lift, bed lined fenders. Armor Tech Off road wrap around HC rear bumper w/ tire carrier swing out. Relentless front aluminum bumper. Le Devil Horns (_)
    on this Alcan highway, whats the furthest distance in miles from one gasoline station to another?

bump for OP

6. Mar 1, 2011 at 1:42 PM
    MTgirl

Member:
    First Name:
    Weesa
    Bob's secret mod lair
    Vehicle:
    Wheeler's/Alcan 5-pack leaf springs, OME 881's, de-badged, Jungle Fender Flares, Herculined bed, HomerTaco grille, Anzo headlights, clear corners,
    hopefully less than what you can go on a tank of gas :D

there are lots of little towns along the way...and signs IIRC saying 'next gas xx miles (or kms)'. Our rule on the trip was if we were nearing a town and had 1/2 a tank or so we stopped and filled up and we always filled up before heading out in the morning too.

Its a very heavily traveled road, especially in the summer months, and help is not far away. Everyone up there is pretty courteous and stops to help if its needed.

7. Mar 1, 2011 at 8:07 PM
    KodiakToyTRD

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout
    I know there is a book you can purchase with lots of little places and ideas and such on how to travel the Alcan. I've also heard most people fill up every time they go by a gas station. I will be taking a few gallons extra with me too. Here is the route I plan on taking.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Homer,+AK&daddr=49.70564,-123.14604+to:44.29195,-120.845+to:41.86215,-114.71224+to:40.45569,-109.53039+to:Fort+Collins,+CO&geocode=FYQSjgMdU4739inPWoan7i3BVjG7c-dx7ZQuHw%3BFahy9gIdyPCo-CmDsRaCSPiGVDHFdtyPjURfjg%3BFW7XowIdOA3M-CmzqOG7ETK5VDHHpMxL9y-Vuw%3BFQbEfgIdUKEp-SkFWVmoCbqpgDFGPvVEzQZucQ%3BFQpOaQId6rJ4-SmpyIW-N2JFhzHaXgs59AiLhg%3BFSxIawId-Ym8-SmtMPCQRUpphzGCQKu0KEKxqQ&hl=en&mra=dpe&mrsp=4&sz=7&via=1,2,3,4&sll=41.327326,-108.248291&sspn=6.178308,9.854736&ie=UTF8&ll=46.255847,-120.761719&spn=45.486322,78.837891&z=4

8. Mar 1, 2011 at 8:30 PM
    MTgirl

Member:
    First Name:
    Weesa
    Bob's secret mod lair
    Vehicle:
    You are referring to 'The Milepost' that is like the yellow pages of the AlCan.

Your route is quite a bit different from the one I took. You should be able to make it to Tok on the first day if you don't do any sightseeing along the way. The area around Kluane Lake was the most remote from what I remember. And you're going to be so close to Watson Lake, stop and see the signpost forest...it is a tourist trap but still cool. Maybe you can leave a TW decal behind ;) And Liard Hot Springs is right there too...good place to stop and rest. And that's where you veer away from any road I've traveled on...

Here's a few shots from my AlCan adventure. My ex's Taco and I was in my Subie...

Stuck in construction north of Palmer...
    [​IMG]

And somewhere near Banff...so beautiful up there!
    [​IMG]

9. Mar 1, 2011 at 8:39 PM
    KodiakToyTRD

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout
    Yes thats the book!! When I drove it first in Oct 08 I went from Haines thru Haines Junction to Tok and down to Kenai then to Homer. That was a great trip! I've got a bit of a deadline but not too bad...I will be starting classes on Aug 13th and starting my trip on July 14th...with 4000 miles to travel and relatives to see! If I travel alone I will just stop to take pics, if I'm with someone, prolly more sight seeing then by myself.

10. Aug 17, 2011 at 2:42 PM
    ScottValleyGirl

ScottValleyGirl Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dawn Renee
    Temple, TX
    Vehicle:
    01 PreRunner V-6
    Have you got an update on this trip?

I drove th Al-Can in 1999 from No. Cal up and then split off to Anchorage. It was a great trip. I ended up going up through Kamloops and then over up along 16 as I have family up there.

It was a fantastic drive. Day after day of nothing but space and amazing mountains!

Looking forward to hearing

Renee

11. Aug 17, 2011 at 2:45 PM
    YankeePirate

YankeePirate Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lef
    Farmville, VA
    Vehicle:
    '11 SR5
    3" Lift (Bilstein 5100s, OME 886s, Deaver U402 leaf springs) , KMC 18" Addict wheels, BFG All Terrain T/A Tires, Demello Off-road front and custom rear bumpers, winch, Satoshi Grille. That's it... for now.
    Yeah, any update?

I drove the Alcan from NC to Anchortown and back in 98-01. Sorry I was so late to the party.

To Top