1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Jump packs

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by kidthatsirish, Jan 12, 2019.

1. Jan 12, 2019 at 3:43 PM
    kidthatsirish

kidthatsirish [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma access cab base 2.7L 4x4 5speed manual
    Awesome CB setup, TRD leaf springs, matching camper shell...more to come some day.
    Any reccomendations for a jump pack? Obviously I carry jumper cables and drive a manual....but for others I might come across...or for when I'm facing up hill....what do you all carry that you know has worked well in hot and cold starts?

2. Jan 12, 2019 at 3:55 PM
    TexasWhiteIce

TexasWhiteIce Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2022 White DCLB SR5 - Blackout
    Jump n carry hands down best jump pack. Can jump a completely dead battery multiple times. Has saved me a few times.

3. Jan 12, 2019 at 4:38 PM
    kidthatsirish

kidthatsirish [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma access cab base 2.7L 4x4 5speed manual
    Awesome CB setup, TRD leaf springs, matching camper shell...more to come some day.
    Thanks...was looking at the two brands they sell....can you tell me more about the model you got...what kind of temperatures have you used it? What's the general climate of your area, also how long have you had it?

4. Jan 12, 2019 at 4:44 PM
    jowybyo

jowybyo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Baltimore, MD
    Vehicle:
    '14 MGM DCSB Postrunner 4wd Conversion, Debadged
    I like the smaller lithium jump packs. Ones like the NOCO Genius and others of that style. They are small, convenient, easy to keep charged and powerful.

Skyway, rogerman and Naveronski like this.
  5. Jan 12, 2019 at 4:47 PM
    Armed in Utah

Armed in Utah Well-Known Member

Member:
    Utah's High Desert.......
    Vehicle:
    2003 Lexus LX 470
    DBPower........GooLoo..........take your pick of many

watch Amazon Lightning deals for great pricing

Have one in each of my three trucks

6. Jan 12, 2019 at 5:06 PM
    Muddinfun

Muddinfun Well-Known Member

Member:
    I also have the jump n carry. I think it's the 660. Whatever you get, make sure it has the charger bult in so you don't have to keep track of a separate charger.

7. Jan 12, 2019 at 5:17 PM
    TexasWhiteIce

TexasWhiteIce Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2022 White DCLB SR5 - Blackout
    https://www.amazon.com/Clore-Automo...VTTH04KJ5W7&psc=1&refRID=6SCTFS4HSVTTH04KJ5W7

I’ve used it in 30 degree weather as well as 110 degree weather. Jumps our trucks on a completely dead battery with ease. Best part is it fits perfectly behind the back seat of a double cab. I charge it every 6 months but it still holds about half it’s charge during those 6 months.

8. Jan 12, 2019 at 5:55 PM
    Bebop

Bebop Old fashion cowboy

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Castle rock Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2012 Toyota Tacoma baja
    6inch lift sitting on bilstein coilovers. Lexus is300 studs in front to keep stock wheels, general grabber red letters, nfab front bumper.
    The noco jump packs kick ass.

SnowroxKT and tbird95 like this.
  9. Jan 12, 2019 at 6:14 PM
    mrlee

mrlee I like crunchy Tacos!!

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport (Yeah, it's gotta skewp, Haterz gonna hate)
    Bed rug, ARE bed top, Weathertechs. Little goodies here and there!
    NOCO for the win.
    Ck with @ramonortiz55 he sometimes runs group buys on em.

10. Jan 12, 2019 at 6:20 PM
    Sandman614

Sandman614 Ex-Snarky TWSS elf, Travis #hotsavannahdotcom

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Garner, NC/Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    '06 SR5 Off Road
    ARB Front Bumper, Projector Headlights w/Slimcubby 4300K HID's, Oznium LED's, LED taillights, DIY Washable Cabin Moose Filter, Sockmonkey SR5 Off Road, Aux Audio plug, OME 886x, OME Nitrochargers, Wheelers 3 Leaf Progressive AAL, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, Dodge D-Rings
    Noco has been fine by me, wife's Honda accord, zero-turn lawnmower, v8 land rover.
    Small and compact

11. Jan 13, 2019 at 12:52 PM
    Jeffch

Jeffch Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vermont
    Vehicle:
    2018 off road
    Running 285/75/16s
    We have a noco the wife carries reminds me I gotta check the charge on it.
    The wife has used her noco a few times I used it on my taco before I had mine.
    I purchased this figured our climate is hard on batteries.
    Haven’t used it yet but it did achieve 14 volts from a battery that was at 10 volts.

https://www.amazon.com/Schumacher-DSR109-800A-Jump-Starter/dp/B01MZZD2YB

I didn’t pay that price.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
  12. Jan 13, 2019 at 1:27 PM
    vwbuggsy

vwbuggsy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Clinton, MD
    Vehicle:
    09 DC 4X4 LB Black Sand Pearl
    N-fab steps, Wet Okole Covers, line-x, tint, vent shades, budget stereo upgrades, weathertech floor liners
    I use the jump n carry 660 also. Mine is over ten years old. It mostly hangs out in my truck box in all temps here on the east coast. I've over charged it, forgotten about it, dropped it, left it in the rain, drained it dead, and generally abused the living hell out of it and it just will... Not... Die.

If you were to ask around at tow places, roadside service, and mechanics shops, that's what most of them are gong to use because they just work. They'll start damn near anything from cold dead, and probably more than once.

It has a 12v port, a gauge, and a button but no air compressor, flashlight, or marital aids built in. In my experience tools that do everything tend to do most of them barely adequately. This really just does one thing, it starts vehicles, and it does that very very well!

If it ever did die, I'd get another one with absolutely no hesitation.

That's not to say that the others recommended in this thread aren't great, I'm just saying that the jump n carry is right there in the top 5 tools I've ever owned.

TexasWhiteIce and Muddinfun like this.
  13. Jan 13, 2019 at 3:15 PM
    Muddinfun

Muddinfun Well-Known Member

Member:
    I've left my Jump n Carrry out in the rain too. Now the only problem is that the gauge doesn't work anymore. One cool feature of the gauge when it worked is that after you jump start a vehicle, you can push the button and read the charging voltage, to see if the alternator is working. One of these day's I'm going to replace the gauge with a marine voltmeter.

14. Jan 13, 2019 at 4:16 PM
    vwbuggsy

Member:
    Clinton, MD
    Vehicle:
    N-fab steps, Wet Okole Covers, line-x, tint, vent shades, budget stereo upgrades, weathertech floor liners
    Hmmm. My gauge survived, lucky me! Maybe I left mine face down or something, I can't really remember it was some time ago.

The gauge is useful as a quick charge level check and like you said the alternator check.

I've used the 12v plug to charge tablets and phones, and I've taken it to VW shows to demonstrate that electrical stuff works when I sell at the swap meets. When I bench run the older bug motors I use it as my battery for starting and running too.

I read over the Schumacher thing too though and that looks pretty neat.

15. Jan 13, 2019 at 5:10 PM
    jv_74

jv_74 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Filthadelphia
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB Silver Sky Metallic
  16. Jan 14, 2019 at 3:16 AM
    Wenterkin

Wenterkin Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Wayne
    Vehicle:
    Enterkin
    2014 Magnetic Gray Metallic Tacoma Limited.
    I have the NOCO 7000. This little powerhouse has started anything I’ve hooked it too. As a police officer, I have used it many times, on a variety of vehicles, from compact cars to diesel pickups. Added bonus, it has a USB connection to charge your electronics. All day on Amazon for $100.

jowybyo likes this.
  17. Jan 14, 2019 at 4:50 AM
    spitdog

spitdog Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 Access Cab V6 4x4 SR5 MGM
    These jump packs seems to be a hit or miss. If you look at the best seller on Amazon which is Noco GB 40 with over 3000 reviews, over 39 pages are bad. They just don’t seem reliable.

18. Jan 14, 2019 at 5:37 AM
    Too Stroked

Too Stroked Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    South shore of Lake Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2021 4Runner SR5 Premium
    Full disclosure: I work at a marina and a good jump box is a critically important tool to us. (You don't want to walk 200 yards to a customer's dead boat and find out your jump box doesn't have the stones for the job.) That said, we'd all pretty well settled on a big, heavy Snap-On Jump box about 4-5 years ago after trying many, many other boxes. You do get what you pay for. Yea, it was heavy and bulky, but it would start just about anything and you wouldn't believe how many "stone dead" boats we have to jump in a given year.

Over the past 3 years, most of the guys have started to experiment with the significantly lighter and smaller Lithium Ion boxes - with mixed success. The early Snap-On boxes were pretty much duds. The Mac box did significantly better and two Techs now have them and swear by them. I bought a NOCO GB70 and although it isn't nearly as small as the Mac box, it seems to have about equal performance. And it will start a number of stone dead boats before requiring charging.

With any jump box though, you do need to keep it charged. Anybody buying one with hopes of simply stuffing it in their truck to use when needed will probably be in for a rude awakening.

Gunshot-6A likes this.
  19. Jan 14, 2019 at 5:40 AM
    SR-71A

SR-71A Define "Well-Known Member"

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB, TX Baja Edition. Barcelona Red
    255/85/R16 Falken Wildpeak MTs, Mobtown sliders, ARB bar, SOS front skid, Icon RXT leafs, extended & adjustable Kings, JBA UCAs, OVS wedge RTT, dual AGM batteries, Gen2 xrc9.5 winch, CB, GMRS, S1 ditch lights...
    Noco GB70 was gifted to me a few years ago. I love it. Ive used it to start big diesels in the dead of winter, so its way overkill for Tacomas. The GB40 would be more than sufficient for most gas engines. The override function is super handy as well - if you need portable 12v power for some reason like running lights or whatever.

20. Jan 14, 2019 at 5:55 AM
    vwbuggsy

Member:
    Clinton, MD
    Vehicle:
    The reviews for the same style of jumper as the Norco but from clore automotive, the maker of the jump n carry 660 that I like so much, are even worse! I thought maybe that style of lithium battery jumper might be better if made by another manufacturer, but it doesn't seem so. It seems that style always has a pretty high one and two stars review percentage.

Sometimes one and two star reviews are just idiots being idiots, but a lot of them do seem legit. I wonder if that style of jumper is just inherently troubled by a higher failure rate. That's a shame, I admit the main downsides to the jnc 660 is that it's moderately large and heavy, but given it's been so reliable I'll gladly take that.

spitdog likes this.
To Top