1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Just bought a 98 reg cab 4x4

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by 98Woodrow, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Feb 5, 2012 at 1:00 PM
    98Woodrow

98Woodrow [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    98 4x4 reg cab
    I posted about this truck a week or 2 ago, it sat in the woods for 5-1/2 years. Bought it for $5k the other day.

Evergreen Pearl
    "Amish" base model
    2.7 4wd
    5 spd
    Manual locking hubs. This is cool/oldschool

Bone stock

Took it to a shop near my house where they know the Tacoma as owners. The one guy has a 94 4x4 with 305k on it--original clutch.

They went thru it, changing all fluids and filters and blowing the squirrel nests out of the heater vents. He said when he put the air hose in the heater vent he had a tornado over the truck.

Ran two tanks of premium thru it this weekend with Sea Foam, running 700 miles thru central Pa/ Md/ Wv. Not a single stutter, but still have some nutshells in the heater system and will have to blow it out for the third time this week.

You can feel the compression on downshifts and the clutch seems very strong. I am no mechanic, but my guys are shade tree tinkerers from the old school, farmers as kids who had to make stuff run and make it last.

I am not a hobbyist or a modder but two things I would like to do are rear springs--they are frowning--and a satoshi grill with a couple fog lights behind it. I like that look, and my factory headlights are yellowed pretty bad. Rather than buy new units, I would spend the money to add lights.

Any other suggestions here? I wish I could upload some pics but I have no skillz. May try to get my daughter to help. The truck was in the deep woods and never saw the sun for over 5 years. It was covered with a green, slimy mold which came off with the power washer. Once we get some clear weather I will clean and wax and buff it out, and I think that will make it really shine.

Not an off-roader, but my own driveway is half a mile of bad dirt road, and I occasionally go off-road on my own property. It will be mostly a highway truck, and I cut my own firewood so it will get some work alongside my 96 Dodge Cummins in the woods.

Products Discussed in

To Top