1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Just drove friend's tacoma, need some serious help!!!

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by razorbak, Feb 29, 2008.

1. Feb 29, 2008 at 5:47 PM
    razorbak

razorbak [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma
    Hi, I have a 2002 V6 Tacoma that I realized is running horribly after driving a friend's.

It's throwing P0300 codes every now and then, and hesitates when accelerating, but didn't seem too bad. Also, I just realized the diff lock isn't engaging, the light just flashes until I move it back out and give up.

My buddy's felt like it had about twice the power, and revved right up to 5k+ rpm, where mine doesn't seem to want to get past 3.5-4k.

Is the diff lock vacuum actuated? Could these problems both be linked to a vacuum leak? Or is there something else I need to be looking at?

Thanks for any help.

Al

2. Mar 1, 2008 at 1:35 PM
    stucksucksnayota

stucksucksnayota Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Barry
    Fort Smith, Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    14 Taco 4x4 TRD Sport DCSB
    OEM roof rack, Shorty antenna (eBay), soft tonneau cover, K&N drop in air filter, bed mat, interior LED lights, 5100's, MT tires to come soon!!!
    The TRD diff locker is electric and there are a couple things
    1. If its a 4wd and you have NOT done gray wire mod first off does this mod its awesome but if it is a 4wd the locker only locks when the truck is in 4 low
    2. If its a pre runner from what Ive heard they will lock anytime.

Ok to turn on the locker come to a stop and push the button and when the light starts flashing i usally roll my truck forward and backwards for a minute and it will finally kick in.

Then do about the same thing to turn on
    but from seeing how mine acts it doest act like an air locker which usually lockers up right when u hit the button these take a second or 2 to lock

3. Mar 1, 2008 at 2:37 PM
    tacotoe

tacotoe Pastry Chef

Member:
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    `17 AC Sport MT
    ARE Topper, Icon aal, OEM Audio+
    I suggest going to the autoparts store and buy a can of throttle body cleaner and a can of MAF sensor cleaner and follow directions on can.When did you last change the plugs ? factory plugs change recommended every 25k miles. BTW I had PO420 & PO 3?? (cat. converter & TPS) codes and after using cleaners TB & MAF havn`t had any issues.

4. Mar 2, 2008 at 5:45 AM
    concrete jedi

concrete jedi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rochester N.Y
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma 4 door indigo blue
    Broken and scratched tailgate, cracked rear tail light lens, coffee stain in driver seat.
    Sounds like you need a good tune up, Tacotoe also said some good stuff about the MAF sensor cleaner, follow his lead.

5. Mar 2, 2008 at 1:52 PM
    razorbak

razorbak [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma
    I'll give the cleaner a shot, thanks.

Products Discussed in

To Top