1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Just fixed driveline vibration!!!For free!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by hvacbmac, Apr 21, 2011.

1. Jun 29, 2016 at 12:25 PM
    jtkkz

jtkkz Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bay Area, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma DC 4WD
    OME lift kit / Fifteen52 Analog wheels
    i believe most of vibes or shuddering comes from carrier bearing or bearing up front (ECGS upgrade)

2. Jul 27, 2016 at 11:22 AM
    pedwards9367

pedwards9367 Active Member

Member:
    I noticed today that the 2016 4 runner comes from the factory with traction bars.

3. Jul 29, 2016 at 11:38 AM
    5150Bronco

5150Bronco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bay Area, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma 4x4 Access Cab-Special Order.
    I get the ECGS upgrade, but I am wondering...., Does this upgrade become valid after the lift/leveling kit upgrade or vibration issues even though there were no vibrations before?

Would this ECGS fix make a difference right after lift/vibration occurs?

4. Dec 2, 2016 at 1:23 PM
    ExpoFishTaco

ExpoFishTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charlotte NC
    Vehicle:
    '13 4X4 SR5 Double Cab
    None yet!
    So I have an Icon Stage 2 kit with dakars in the rear. I have had a steering wheel vibration at around 70MPH since install. I tried multiple alignments, carrier bearing drop, and it didnt work. Wanted to circle back and tell everyone what worked for me.... I ended up using a 2 degree rear axle shim (bought from Wheelers Offroad) which went between the leaf springs and perch. No more vibrations and I am soooooo stoooooked!

lynyrd3 and SpeedwayTaco160 like this.
  5. Aug 19, 2017 at 2:30 PM
    Johnjaz

Johnjaz Well-Known Member

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    07 DCSB 4x4 Sport
    Dented Bumper
    THIS IS SOLID ADVICE!!!
    A few months back, I took my truck into the dealer for the leaf recall. When I left the dealer with the freshly installed leafs I noticed a sizable vibration which is something that I never had a problem with. I took it back to them and they concluded that I had a bad ujoint and carrier bearing. Oh, and it will cost around $750... thanks. I explained that I never had that problem until they touched it and I wanted all my old stuff back on (I knew they couldn't do that). They decided they would split the cost with me so I decided for my time and materials, that sounded like a deal, especially since I had 140k or so on it. I don't have scientific data but by visual memory, it seemed the leaf replacement dropped the rear a little and I believe it changed the geometry. That seems weird to me, especially since it went from 2 leafs and an OL to three and an OL... but I believe it to be true.

After the new carrier and ujoint was installed, it seemed a bit better but not like how it originally was. Shortly after that, I installed 5100's all the way around and leveled it out and it seemed a bit worse. It's been driving me nuts and have been living with it and was committed to getting a one piece shaft in the near future. The vibration was extremely noticeable accelerating from stop to about 35 mph and lightly noticeable from there to highway speed.

Today, I ran across this great tip and figured I'd give it a whirl. The carrier was mounted with the lower side of it up which it dropped the shaft lower. I spun it 180 which made the shaft sit higher and.... BINGO! No mas vibes! Time will tell but as of today, no more thought of spending $400+ on a new shaft.

IMG_1153.jpg

lynyrd3, outlawtacoma and ChadsPride like this.
  6. Aug 21, 2017 at 5:35 AM
    Braves95

Braves95 Go Clemson Tigers

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Central PA
    Vehicle:
    17 MGM TRD Off Road DCSB P&T 6MT
    Fab Fours Bumper Block Heater Dual Exhaust Flow Master Smittybilt 12k Winch Synthetic Rope Bed Mat Roof Rack Puddle Lights 17" Rockstar Wheels NittoTerra Grapplers Power TailGate Lock Tonneau Cover w/lights Mobtown sliders MT Remote Start Tinted Windows Front And Rear Camera BRC Competition Diff Breather Bed Step Weather tech Floor Mats TRD Pro Tail lights TRD MT Shift Knob ARB dual compressor URD short shifter Kings 2.5 OEM W/remote resi. Click adjuster.
    I THINK I have the same issue. But I removed my driveshaft. And sound is still there. ??

7. Aug 21, 2017 at 5:52 AM
    totmacher

totmacher automotive hypochondriac

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    TN (memphis-ish)
    Vehicle:
    4Runner, Tundra
    Cut & broke off some stuff.
    road force balance the tires to rule those out.

i had both. just driveline vibe was tolerable but combined with bad tire balance it of course all felt worse.

lynyrd3 likes this.
  8. Jan 3, 2018 at 6:33 PM
    tacoma guy

tacoma guy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Phoenix Az.
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Prerunner TRD
    Bilstein 5100's on all four corners. Front set @ 0 with OME 883x coils. Alcon leaf springs. Viper Alarm. Wet Okole seat covers. WeatherTech Floor liners front and back. Oem Toyota chrome exhaust tip. ARE Shell. America Outlaw Wheels.
    Is the picture you posted in the pasiton that corrected it? When you say the low side, do you mean the lower side of the carrier bearing ? Because that would mean the shaft would sit lower?.. I just want to be clear so I look at mine correctly. Thank you for posting your findings !

9. Jan 6, 2018 at 6:38 PM
    tacoma guy

tacoma guy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Phoenix Az.
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Prerunner TRD
    Bilstein 5100's on all four corners. Front set @ 0 with OME 883x coils. Alcon leaf springs. Viper Alarm. Wet Okole seat covers. WeatherTech Floor liners front and back. Oem Toyota chrome exhaust tip. ARE Shell. America Outlaw Wheels.
    OK so I have red about half of this thread or more until my head hearts.I do appreciate everyone's hard work and input! Awesome info! But I am not hearing that anyone has fixed the slight take off shutter. I have it ever so slite at stock hight and a little bit more pronounce at 1in. Of lift. It happens right at 5 mph. It's the weirdest thing at times it's more pronounced than others. When I had the 1in lift I did do the 1/4 in carrier bearing spacer with no luck. My question is how do we get rid of it ? Please help ! :angrygirl:

sioux and Kolunatic like this.
  10. Jan 6, 2018 at 6:44 PM
    Kolunatic

Kolunatic Broke ass

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    07 DC peerunner
    Idk. I may start with transmission mount now.

11. Jun 25, 2018 at 4:02 PM
    rollin904

rollin904 Feather Slinger

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    '14 DCSB 4x4
    Still chasing vibrations in my truck. I have tried 3.5 degree shims, the OME CB spacer, and now running 2.5 degree shims with no spacer. Just measured my angles as: 2.2 degrees trans, 6.2 degrees front shaft, 7.7 degrees rear shaft, and 4.5 degrees diff.

It seems that I need to raise my CB bearing to decrease the difference between trans and first shaft numbers, but also increase the angle at my rear axle with more shimming for less angle there. Am I understanding this correctly? I want to flip the CB and try it out but it seems like that will only increase my numbers at the rear

12. Jun 26, 2018 at 4:18 AM
    rollin904

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    '14 DCSB 4x4
    Bump. Also, ordered a digital angle finder so I can more accurately zero the gauge and measure the shaft angles. Phone app just wasn't hacking it.

Kolunatic and DrFunker like this.
  13. Jun 26, 2018 at 1:22 PM
    gmartin284

gmartin284 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gage
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma 4x4 double cab
    If you flip the carrier bearing it raises the bearing 1/2" or lowers it? I have the same vibes and just bought a carrier bearing spacer to try out but I thought the aim was to lower it.

14. Jun 26, 2018 at 6:36 PM
    rollin904

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    '14 DCSB 4x4
    Flipping it raises it up, it seems to vary with each truck

15. Jun 26, 2018 at 10:59 PM
    jross20

jross20 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2000 4Runner SR5 4x4 | V6 | Auto
    Tundra 5100s F+R, OME 880s+890s, duro bumps, etc
    Isn't there a"double cardan" drive shaft that can be installed?
    I just remember reading something about the standard U-joints being garbage. Whereas the cardan, (if that's what it's called, I honestly can't remember), allowed for much more flex

16. Aug 12, 2018 at 4:09 AM
    lynyrd3

lynyrd3 STRENGTH DETERMINATION MERCILESS FOREVER

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    East Central Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    2008 SR5 AC SUPER WHITE V6 4x4 AT / 2020 RAV4 XLE
    Bilstein 6112s top setting ,Total Chaos UCAs ,1/4" top plate spacer driver side ,SS extended brake lines ,Old Man Emu Medium Duty Dakar leaf springs with AAL,OME carrier bearing shim , Bilstein 5125s for 2-3” of lift in rear ,Timbren SES bump stops , SS extended brake lines rear , Toytec dif drop , Hayden high performance transmission fluid cooler,aFe pro dry air filter .Baja amber driving combo ditch lights , Devil horns by Andres ,Weathertecs floor protector, American Racing wheels Baja 17x8,4.5 BS , 285/70 Falken Wildpeaks AT/3W .Body Armor rear bumper . Extra D rings in bed ,Blue sea fuse block and 100amp breaker ,HomerTaco custom grill in Super White , TRD radiator cap ,Birddawg Industries rear view mirror riser bracket ,Coverking NeoSupreme Mossy Oak seat covers , Paranoid Fabrications fuse /relay holder Painted pinch weld.Shorty antenna ,HVAC knob mod ,LED dome and map lights , Tri Fold bed cover ,UltraGauge ,Morimoto XB LED fog lights ,Energy Suspension poly body bushings and sway bar bushings ! Geartech Customs splash guards ,Salex center console organizer . Mobtown tailgate cap ,tailgate anti theft mod .X-Mat sound deadening/insulation cab floor . Mobtown weld on rock sliders 0* with kickout Raptor lined . ,NEW frame courtesy of Toyota !
  17. Aug 13, 2018 at 5:35 AM
    rollin904

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    '14 DCSB 4x4
    Mine is riding as close as I've felt to completely vibe free now after swapping my shims for 2° ones. Have one washer for a spacer at the CB

18. Sep 23, 2018 at 9:45 PM
    johncraft1983

johncraft1983 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    ferrum, va.
    Vehicle:
    2017 trd off-road DC inferno
    Stock
    I had the same issues and added shims at the pinion and spacers at the cb for about a month every night. Finally got rid of them. I had a vibration at 20-30, take off shutter, vibrations at 50-65 etc. Every time I adjusted things the vibrations changed at different speeds. I would get rid of one to gain it worse on the other. Finally I added a helper spring in front of the axle and used a 3* shim on the pinion and flipped my cb. All is well now. My angles are. 6.5 pinion- 9.0 rear shaft 5.7 front shaft and 2.5 tc. Working angles are 2.5 pinion-rearshft, 3.3 rear shaft to front shaft and 3.2 tc to front shaft. The shudder was from axle wrap putting my rear working angle to high and the vibration at low speeds was the pinion angle being to low and the angle at the tc being to high.....too much cb drop. The vibration during applying the breaks coming to a stop was do to the pinion tilting down while breaking. So the what worked for me was getting the front two working angles as close to equal and having the pinion working angle set .7 lower working angle to allow for axle wrap and weight in the bed or towing. Note without the helper spring I would still have tale off shudder so it took care of most axle wrap by stiffening the leaf springs in front of the axle. And I have a 3inch spacer lift up front and a 2.5 inch block in the rear and the helpers added 3/4 more to that height, so 3-1/4 Lift in the rear. One last thing don't go by the angles of the times or shafts. Go by the working angles. I say that because my driveway is pretty level but when I measure angles when I'm backed in the driveway vs parked forward my angles are different but either way you'll have the same working angles regardless. I think if I measure my angles backed in the driveway they are 3.5 tc 6.7 front shaft 10 rear shaft and 7.5 pinion vs parked forward 2.5 tc 5.7 fro t shaft 9 rear shaft and 6.5 pinion. But the worki g angles will read the same on both. Doesn't matter how I'm level the ground. 3.2 front joint 3.3 middle joint and 2.5 rear joint.
    I feel your pain. I racked my brain for about a month hours at a time. I thought i tried everything and though I would never get it right but finally got it and you will to. Good luck.

19. Sep 24, 2018 at 5:46 AM
    rollin904

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    '14 DCSB 4x4
    Nice, glad yours are gone. I still have a shudder at take off but it's the least obnoxious I've had so far so I'm just living with it

johncraft1983[QUOTED] likes this.
  20. Jun 14, 2019 at 8:56 AM
    Stagarm

Stagarm Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trev
    Vehicle:
    Fj
    Me behind the wheel
    1st and 3rd joints can not cancel each other out as they are 90* rotationally out of phase.

Products Discussed in

To Top