1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Just got a FREE Nissan Xterra from my mother-in-law

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by tercel89, Dec 11, 2016.

1. Dec 11, 2016 at 7:30 AM
    tercel89

tercel89 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma 2.7 4wd
    I was given a 2001 by my mother-in-law. It's a 5 speed and has the 2.4 liter engine. It has been sitting dormant for a little over 3 years. I am guessing that I'll take out the spark plugs and pour in a small amount Marvel Mystery Oil into each cylinder and let it soak in to help "break loose" any piston rings that may be stuck to the cylinder walls. I'm going to drain the engine oil and pit in some new engine oil. Before I attempt to use the starter , I'll hand crank the engine with a ratchet on the crankshaft bolt to slowly move the pistons up and down since it hasn't been turned over in 3 years. The fuel tank is empty. We have hot summers here in Tn so I think the little bit of gas that was in the tank has evaporated.
    Can any of you guys think of anything else I may need to do before I try to start it up to prevent any premature damage ?

2. Dec 11, 2016 at 7:37 AM
    Hondah

Hondah Revelations 6:8

Member:
    Newnan, Ga
    Vehicle:
    '13 RC 4x4
    All fluids need to be drained and replaced.

A compression test on the radiator will show you an dry rotted hoses that may not be visibly seen.

And the gas tank should be removed and inspected for water that may be present. Humidity in the tank considering the environment will probably be present in the tank. Better to know now before water ends up in the gas line.

These are just a few points to ponder. Also check for wasp nests!

3. Dec 11, 2016 at 7:39 AM
    fxntime

fxntime Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma off road TRD and 2014 FJC
    Use Kroil instead of MM oil. let sit a couple days, hand turn before replacing plugs.

Put in a couple gallons of fresh fuel, unplug high tension lead, crank engine for 20 seconds, plug in high tension lead, make a blood sacrifice to the automotive gods of at least 2-3 scraped and bleeding knuckles if it starts. I'd go through all the fluids and replace them once you find out it runs OK. New fuel filter would be a good thing.

I would absolutely bleed the brake system and make sure it works properly brfore putting on the road.

4. Dec 11, 2016 at 2:40 PM
    cruxofthebisquit

cruxofthebisquit Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Orange Texas
    Vehicle:
    2000 TRD
    OME and worth every penny.
    Put some gas innitt and start it. Then run the shit out of it to clean it out.
    Nice score:thumbsup:

Products Discussed in

To Top