1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Just looking for a Tacoma at the moment...

Discussion in 'New Members' started by manic_mechanic, Jan 25, 2010.

1. Jan 25, 2010 at 9:24 PM
    manic_mechanic

manic_mechanic [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clint
    Kennesaw, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    1992 Ford Bronco XLT 5.0 EFI
    Hey guys! My name's Clint. I currently have a '92 Bronco, but I'm in the market for an '01 or '02 Prerunner V6 Tacoma. A friend of mine had one a few years ago and I always thought the extended cab looked real tough with a little lift on her. Plus, I had a '92 Camry for a while so I really like that the interior is sort of similar.

Anyway just wanted to get some more info on these great trucks and take a look at some of your machines.

Thanks!

2. Jan 25, 2010 at 9:41 PM
    4low2go

4low2go Well-Known Member

Member:
    Coatesville, PA
    Vehicle:
    10 RC 4x4 5sp MGM
    Curt hitch, OBX Shift
    Hello, welcome to TW!

3. Jan 25, 2010 at 9:42 PM
    thekidcatcher

thekidcatcher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD offroad SR5
    Legs- --Helo rims --KM3 285/75/R16 --Bilstein 5100 in front with OME 886 --Dakar with extra leaf --Total Chaos UCA's --5165's Bilstein in the rear Electronics- --Warn M8000 w/ Warn wirless remote --Cobra 29LTD CB, --12in sub with alpine amp , --Dual Battery, --Warn Air compressor --URD MAF sensor, --touchscreen cd player hooked up to front and rear cameras Armor- --All-Pro offroad front/rear/rocksliders --AP skid plate, diff armor Cajones- --JBA headers, midpipe, exhaust --Safari Snorkel --4.56s ECGS Misc- highlift jack --UWS toolbox --u bolt flip kit --Tepui Kukenam Custom- --in dash inverter --on-board shower system --dvd anytime mod --custom bed rack and tiregate.
    Welcome to TW. What all would you like to know about our trucks?

4. Jan 25, 2010 at 11:00 PM
    manic_mechanic

Member:
    First Name:
    Clint
    Kennesaw, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    My 4-cyl. Camry was always pretty easy to maintain and replace parts on....are these rigs pretty easy to work on for an up-and-coming mechanic? Any chronic problems I should look out for?

I love bolt-on performance. What sort of power add-ons would you recommend?

I'm looking for a 6-cyl. extended cab Prerunner specifically.

5. Jan 25, 2010 at 11:02 PM
    dylandercole

dylandercole Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
    Vehicle:
    03 SR5 TRD 4x4 5-speed
    sway-a-way 2.0 coilovers, 1.5'' AAL, 1'' toytec shackle lift, Go-Rhino 3000 Grille Guard, Kicker KS6502 speakers, JVC KD-S24 Head unit, billstein 5125 rear shocks, Deck Plate mod, K&N air filter, Wheelers offroad front and rear braided brake lines, diff breather mod, power slot rotors, ebc yellow stuff pads
    not much for power. Theres a cheap mod that adds some power and throttle response (deck plate mod). only chronic thing to look for is frame rust and timing belts from what iv heard, havnt had a problem with either though

6. Jan 25, 2010 at 11:48 PM
    scocar

scocar hypotenoper

Member:
    ...and the supercharger...not that I have or want one.

From what I have learned on this site, there are plently of air intake mods (cold air intake, or CAI), throttle body spacers, etc., etc.

From what I can tell after lots of interesting reading, all the CAI's do nothing for the 3.4L, other than clean out your wallet. The best (and by best, I mean actually produce a demonstrable perfromance improvement) mods are cheap: the "deckplate mod" (search this site for tons of info on this easy $20 mod) and an AFE Pro-Dry S high-flow reusable drop-in air filter (same installation as stock filter).

There are also lots of headers, cat-backs, etc. available, but I haven't read those because I will never do them.

Check out the technical chat threads and the 1st gen threads.

The timing belt just needs to be replaced at a regular interval, they are not a trouble spot. Ask for maintence records to see if it has been done.

7. Jan 26, 2010 at 8:58 AM
    manic_mechanic

Member:
    First Name:
    Clint
    Kennesaw, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    Truth be told I'm not even that interested in much more power, I like the reliability of Toyota engines and I love the look of the trucks....probably won't do much beyond the deckplate and a drop-in filter. Mostly just looking for a nice truck I can keep clean and get a good long run out of.

8. Jan 26, 2010 at 10:58 AM
    dylandercole

dylandercole Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
    Vehicle:
    03 SR5 TRD 4x4 5-speed
    sway-a-way 2.0 coilovers, 1.5'' AAL, 1'' toytec shackle lift, Go-Rhino 3000 Grille Guard, Kicker KS6502 speakers, JVC KD-S24 Head unit, billstein 5125 rear shocks, Deck Plate mod, K&N air filter, Wheelers offroad front and rear braided brake lines, diff breather mod, power slot rotors, ebc yellow stuff pads
    then you are in the right place my friend

9. Jan 26, 2010 at 11:06 AM
    NAAC3TACO

NAAC3TACO Middle aged member

Member:
    Just east of crazy, NV
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 DCLB 4x4
    Color matched door handles, Weathertech floor liners, bed mat, Durafit seat covers, tailgate clamp, 2016 TRD Sport 17" wheels with Yokohama Geolander AT tires , Toyota exhaust tip, Toyota/Yakima bike rail mount, Toyota wheel locks, Toyota hitch cover, Redline hood struts, unifilter on air pump.
    Welcome to TW. I used to own a 95 F150 XLT with a 5.0 EFI. It was a good truck, but I'm glad it had dual tanks and could hold 40 gallons, because it liked to drink gas. I think the tailgate on that thing weighed more than the entire bed on my Tacoma.:D I owned it for a few years and never had any problems with it though.

10. Jan 26, 2010 at 2:56 PM
    Delta107

Delta107 Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Future Tacoma Owner
    Welcome!

Products Discussed in

To Top