1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Just my thoughts about Toyota's dilemma.

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by bigmooze, Feb 2, 2010.

1. Feb 2, 2010 at 4:38 AM
    bigmooze

bigmooze [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Belle River, ON
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 access cab SR5
    Bilstein 5100's all round (0" up front with stock springs), 265/75/16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, K&N 63 Series Aircharger Kit, Flowmaster Super 44 Muffler, Delta Champion Toolbox, fog lights, back-up lights, Sirius satellite radio with PA15-TOY, Midland 1001z CB radio with 2' Firestik II antenna, Weathertech floor mats, AVS sill protectors, Marathon SuperHides Seatcovers (Universal Digital Camo), trimmed front mud flaps, Viair 20005 OBA, Warn W650D driving lights and W650F fog lights on N-Fab light bar, Hi-Lift X-treme jack with off road accessories, TracRac "TracONE" system
    (I was going to post this as a reply to a thred in the 2nd-Gen forum, but I thought it would be too diverse for that particula thread.)

I voted "Yes" to my concern for Toyota's reputation. I live near a town that is heavily dependent on the auto-industry (Windsor, ON). Many people drive "domestic" vehicles and jump at the opportunity to throw in anti-Toyota or anti-Honda slurs. The gas pedal recall has given them new ammunition.

I still drive my Tacoma with a great deal of pride, I couldn't care less what people drive, nor am I concerned that by buying a Toyota I'm taking money away from the local economy. It's my money, I'll do what I want with it. In fact, I bought it at my local dealership (at the time, having sinced moved). If that's not local, I don't know what is.

The media have latched onto the recall like a rotweiller on a lambshank. It'll likely be weeks, possibly months until the storm passes and I think in the time that follows Toyota will have to regain peoples' trust. It may not be much of an issue in other places, but in cities like Windsor they will probably have a harder time.

I plan on sticking with Toyota, much as the big-3 supporters have done. The difference is, I'm basing my choice on having driven a variety of vehicles... not by the grandfathered tradition generally maintained by so many big-3 supporters. I will also recommend Toyota based on my positive experience so far - not by what the media says - we should all know by now that the media is a very highly-linked engine to influence peoples' decisions.

I'd be interested to read peoples' replies.

2. Feb 2, 2010 at 4:44 AM
    Afwrestler1986

Afwrestler1986 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Johnstown, NY
    Vehicle:
    01 trd 4X4 ex cab manual
    Gray wire, Some lights in the bed area, and some character marks throughout.
    Honestly, I am not worried about people who can think for themselves leaving Toyota. I am worried about the sheeple who feed off of the media and whatever they are told. I know Toyota Corp. is trying to make it right, and I also know they will be ontop of their game once they get it all worked out. I think they needed an eye opener to their current direction of QA. They will recover and they will come back better and stronger than before. What doesn't kill you only makes you think harder about it next time.

3. Feb 2, 2010 at 4:46 AM
    Mark C.

Mark C. If you want it bad, you usually get it bad!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM SR5 4WD AC
    LED Dome, Reed Switched LEDs in Glove Box and Center Console, Bumper Fogs, Tailgate anti-theft, LEDs over Cig lighter, Back-up camera anytime, Outside Temp add-on, Hidden GPS power, Sockmonkey 3rd Brakelight decal, 4X4 switch illumination, reed switch controlled engine compartment Flood LEDs, Elite Hitch Cover, Plasti-dipped cupholders and door switch control panels, Elite Hitch Cover.
    Toyota did the right thing and will be recognized for doing so, much like the makers of Tylenol, who recalled all the drug from stores after tampering was found on some containers. The company was lauded for ethics and doing the right thing. Toyota will be in the same boat.........
    Just my coupla pennies.......

4. Feb 2, 2010 at 4:53 AM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 4runner Limited Looking for a Taco
    It's the wife's T4R so it's stock
    Yay! another stupid thread about this shit. You should have just replied to the original thread instead of another thread about the same thing... :thumbsup:

It feels like the Raptor thread(s) all over again... :rolleyes:

:yay:

5. Feb 2, 2010 at 4:56 AM
    Taco-NB

Taco-NB MMMMM Taco's

Member:
    New Brunswick
    Vehicle:
    '09 4X4 SR5 Access Cab V6 - Black Sand Pearl
    Shouldn't this comment be included in the poll thread that was created?? :confused::confused:

6. Feb 2, 2010 at 5:10 AM
    Afwrestler1986

Afwrestler1986 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Johnstown, NY
    Vehicle:
    01 trd 4X4 ex cab manual
    Gray wire, Some lights in the bed area, and some character marks throughout.
    RAPTOR!!!!!!!!!!!!

Del does not count BTW!

Just kidding Cheby.

Products Discussed in

To Top