1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Just picked up a 1st Gen. V6 auto

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Mcp58, Nov 5, 2019.

1. Nov 5, 2019 at 9:23 AM
    Mcp58

Mcp58 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitchell
    Vehicle:
    1999 Tacoma V6 auto 4x4
    Hello Tacoma world,

I’ve owned a few Tacoma’s / pickups in my life mostly when I was in high school and early college.

I picked up a 1st Gen. 1999 3.4 L V6 automatic with about 226,000 miles on it, has some front end damage but I was able to pull out the front and fit a new radiator in it and get it running again. (few photos in link below) It’s an automatic and ideally I would want a manual transmission but the price was right and I enjoy a good project.

I’m joining Tacoma world to share the journey of getting this truck back on the road full-time. I’m not sure if I’m gonna keep it or sell it but either way it will be a fun project.

I had three packages delivered yesterday,
    -Full OEM water pump, timing belt, thermostat kit (eBay $180)
    -New cooling fan as the one with the truck had a couple broken blades, ebay ($30)
    -New to me grill and headlights from a 2000 Tacoma (up-cycled) ($100 shipped from a nice guy on facebook market place)
    -driver side door handle $9.50 (ebay)

There is a little bit of front end frame damage that I’m hoping it’s not too serious, once I get it up and running on the road I will need some new tires as I live in the mountains of Colorado and there’s traction law in effect for the winter months.

I have not decided which direction I’m gonna go with a bumper yet. I may do factory or I may do a solid steel ARB or something like that.
    I also picked up some relatively low usage/mileage suspension from a neighbor for $100 cash (stock stuff with 3inch spacer on the front shock / strut)

I got the truck running just fine once I put the new radiator in. Unfortunately I decided to fill the truck with coolant from the radiator cap instead of filling from the upper radiator hose (filling the block with coolant) and I think I might’ve burned up the water pump? The truck is not overheating but whenever I shut it off it leaks coolant. (Not a ton but enough to warrant an inspection/concern) I believe the leak is coming from behind the timing cover. (any other suggestions welcomed)

That is why I went ahead and purchased the timing belt water pump kit. The front end is pretty much disassembled so it should be pretty easy to access and get the timing belt / water pump knocked out hopefully this weekend.

Anyways - excited for the journey ahead!

I added some photos here - https://www.tacomaworld.com/media/albums/work-in-progress.56721/

- M

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
    buckhuntin-tacoma, irayfz6 and tcBob like this.
  2. Nov 5, 2019 at 9:32 AM
    MagtechPA

MagtechPA Thor

Member:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Cool project and welcome to TW! :wave:

3. Nov 5, 2019 at 10:18 AM
    Black DOG Lila

Black DOG Lila Well-Known Member

Member:
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma SR5 2.7 5 speed 4WD
    Stock. EZ pass.Dump pass.Inspection sticker.Convict printed lic.plates.FG cap.
    Welcome aboard

4. Nov 5, 2019 at 12:34 PM
    irayfz6

irayfz6 TTC #0249

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey
    McAlester, OK
    Vehicle:
    2014 Black SR5 4x4 Access Cab
    Welcome to TacomaWorld!

Mcp58[OP] and buckhuntin-tacoma like this.
  5. Nov 5, 2019 at 5:06 PM
    buckhuntin-tacoma

buckhuntin-tacoma Shed hunter

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Quincy IL
    Vehicle:
    2014 Spruce Mica Tacoma DCLB
    4 inch lift - complete blackout, n-fab step bars, Black Horse bull bar, 20 inch light bar, anytime fog lights, added led day running lights, Fuel wheels and Falken Wildpeak tires ,custom fit seat covers, Gatorback mud gaurds
    Welcome to TW!!

Mcp58[OP] and irayfz6 like this.
  6. Nov 7, 2019 at 10:03 AM
    boogie3478

boogie3478 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    14 TRD Off-Road V6
    All the mods
    Welcome to TW!

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
    Mcp58[QUOTED][OP] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top