1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Just picked up my Taco!

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by jets, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Mar 21, 2012 at 10:38 PM
    jets

jets [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    805, CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OR DCSB
    Finally found what I was looking for! 2000 tacoma trd 4x4 5sp with 74k miles in silver! Have some questions I searched but I thought I'd introduce myself as well! First off the tranny shifts kinda rough, and I was going through all the records and I didn't see the oil was changed, would mobil 1 75-90 work best in there? going to change out the diff oils, pcv valve, fuel filter, oil, grease the driveline, clean the throttle body and MAF, seafoam the engine through the vacuum line and order new rear shocks as they are completely blown out! Anything else I should change or check? the plugs and wires were recently changed out.. The steering wheel has a little slop in it I'm thinking about picking up some steering bushings would that tighten it up some? thanks for the help guys:D I'm beyond stoked

2. Mar 21, 2012 at 10:48 PM
    ffirg

ffirg Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma SR5 TRD 4X4
    $$$
    If you are planning on seafoaming it, I think most would recommend changing the plugs shortly afterwords because it may foul them up regardless if they are new or not. Other than that, let's see some damn pictures :D

3. Mar 22, 2012 at 12:00 AM
    Norton

Norton Senior Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Access Cab 4x4 V6 6MT, TRD OR & Tow Packages
    Magnuson S/C w/12TRDTacoma's Qwikchange Hub & 2.5" RIP-Modded Pulley, Roostfactor's Pulley Wrap Mod; FPR Mod; JustDSM Tune via HPT MPVI2; mightytacoman Intercooler Tank; aFe POWER Magnum FLOW Pro DRY S Air Filter; OME Suspension Lift (885 Coils, Dakar Leafs, NitroCharger Sports); TRD Quickshifter w/TRD 6-Spd Knob; TRD Exhaust; NSB-AGM27F Battery w/HKB Adjustable Voltage Booster & Coupe's TRD Battery Hold Down; Goodridge SS Brake Lines; Trident904's MT ADM; BFG All-Terrain T/A KO2s on FJ SE Anthracite Rims; N-Fab 6-Step Nerf Bars; BPF TRD Skid, Tow Hook, & Cooling Panel; jsi's Locker Anytime, Up2NoGood's 2Lo Module; ramonortiz55's Always on Power Outlet Relay, ND4's Fog Light Anytime, & Crom's Speed Bleeder Mods; crashnburn80's Ultimate Headlight & Fog Light Upgrades; ThreatLevelMidnight's Wireless Charger; 4Runner 4X4 & FJ Fog Light Switches; redtaco2007-inspired LED License Plate Lights; AudioControl LC2i LOC, JL Audio XD200/2v2 Amp, Focal PS165V1 Spkrs, Sound Ordnance B-8PTD Sub, Hushmat & Noico Sound Insulation; loginfailed-inspired Speedhut Boost & AFR Gauges in a Lotek Pillar Pod; Ltd Auto-Dim/Compass/Temp/Backup Camera/Homelink mirror on ImMrYo's Mirror Lift Bracket; TacomaBeast Glove Box & Console Organizers; Husky Floor Liners; UltraGauge EM; mesojdm's Ultimate LED Dome & Map Lights & GASSHOLE; Redline Tuning QuickLIFT Elite; Mobtown Offroad Locking Bed Storage Doors; Toyota Bed Mat; Cali Raised Led Bed Stiffeners; Pop & Lock Power Tailgate Lock w/TacomaTruckParts Support Bracket; ARE Z-Series Cap, SolarGard Tint; BlendMounted & MirrorTapped Uniden R3; CravenSpeed Stubby Antenna; Amsoil Lubricants; Adam's Detailing Supplies
    Congratulations! If you havent' already done so, you should check out the Toyota Owner's Site, from which you can download Manuals, Maintenance Guides, check for outstanding Recalls & Technical Service Bulletins (TSBs) on your truck. My $0.02 on your questions...

Mobil 1 is excellent oil. Other good options include Amsoil, Redline, and Royal Purple. 75w-90 is the correct weight. While you're doing the tranny and diffs, I recommend changing the Transfer Case oil too. IIRC, you'll need about 8-9 quarts of 75w-90 total, along with appropriate crush washers. (These are the ones for my truck. Yours are probably very similar, if not identical, but your local stealership can confirm.)

You didn't mention it, but you should definitely check the condition of your air filter and replace if required.

You might also consider flushing and refilling your coolant. If you do, make sure you use the correct Toyota antifreeze.

When's the last time the brakes and clutch were bled? Unless the fluid looks good/clean, recommend doing both.

If you Seafoam, there are three ways to do so: oil, fuel, and vac line. The recommendation is to put ~1/3 of a can in each location.

Steering bushings made a big difference for me, tightening-up the steering considerably.

4. Mar 22, 2012 at 12:03 AM
    LAoffroadin

LAoffroadin BURY ME WITH MY TACO!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Joshua
    Northwest
    Vehicle:
    2012 offroad 4x4
    ICON stage 5 coilers w/ ICON ucas, dakar leaf pack with Fox rears, k&n cai, LED cab light, raceline 16 inch wheels , toyo m/t 33",painted front yota emblem gloss white, retrofit headlights with mirrimoto 3 " lenses running the 6k headlights. Bhlm, bestopper, wet okole seat covers (max 4), weather tech mats,winch with piaa fogs. All pro apex front bumper. Sliders etc

Products Discussed in

To Top