1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Just rented a Jeep for a week... I don't get it?

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by willconltd, Apr 19, 2021.

1. Apr 19, 2021 at 9:47 PM
    Stocklocker

Stocklocker Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    17TRDORDCSBAT
    It’s a loaner truck from a company I’m sub-contracted to at a remote site. Having said that, I believe it’s the personal truck of one of their workers, so it is in very nice shape.

shakerhood[QUOTED] likes this.
  2. Apr 19, 2021 at 10:45 PM
    VLTHNTR77

VLTHNTR77 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Everett, WA.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Inferno TRD off-road
    RCI skid and sliders, GoodYear Ultraterrains, HID's, SCS SR8s, lots of ME-SO goodies, Diamondback HD.
    Just the tail lights?

3. Apr 19, 2021 at 10:50 PM
    VLTHNTR77

VLTHNTR77 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Everett, WA.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Inferno TRD off-road
    RCI skid and sliders, GoodYear Ultraterrains, HID's, SCS SR8s, lots of ME-SO goodies, Diamondback HD.
    Just plain :puke:

4. Apr 19, 2021 at 11:42 PM
    lynlan1819

lynlan1819 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tacoma
    Lifted
    Ridgeline beats them all.

5. Apr 20, 2021 at 12:01 AM
    crashnburn80

crashnburn80 Vehicle Design Engineer

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB TRD OR
    Go Hawks!
    LOL you guys, I've run both. I realize this is a Tacoma site, but. Yeah, if you compare a cheap crappy rental of either model in base trim, it isn't very exciting and will ride/perform poorly compared to a better trim of the alternative model.

My Mojave on 35s with stock Fox 2.5 remote resi suspension front and rear that is vastly technically superior to anything Toyota offers as a stock product, runs 35s with no trimming required. The TRD Pro Fox 2.5 non-resi and 2.0 resi rears are no comparison to Jeeps top of the line suspension offerings. Chrysler's Pentastar 3.6 is widely regarded as an outstanding engine design, producing 90% torque at 1800 RPM and winning several engineering awards with proven long term reliability.

F2339A4D-EF90-4D01-AEA3-F31C2623C44D.jpg

Add the JL/JTs also run one of the worlds best regarded automatic transmissions of all time. Funny thing, it is the same ZF transmission as the new Toyota Supra, in a JT, but the Tacoma didn't get it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0BZhs4Ugag&t=13s

No-one says 3rd Gen's 3.5 Atkinson cycle engine and Tacoma auto trans are the best, the 3rd Gen Tacoma forums are full of engine power and auto transmission complaints. That isn't a thing for the Gladiators, because the engine and auto trans are outstanding. And because the 3.6 is not limited with an Atkinson cycle, Magnuson was able to boost it to 440hp with a bolt on kit, far higher output than a Tacoma SC.

Throw in reinforced solid front and rear axles. Those Tacoma spindle upgrades? The Mojave has reinforced cast iron knuckles for desert jumping from the factory. It is also the only production vehicle to feature hydraulic suspension jounce bumpers from the factory. And the top and doors come off as well as having a multi-position tailgate. The stock Gladiator rear disc brakes are larger than StopTechs biggest BBk kit able to fit on the stock front Tacoma 17" wheels and vastly larger than the Tacoma's stock brakes.

The Tacoma is an outstanding truck with many great qualities, I've had 4 Toyota trucks over the last 10+ years and loved them, but dismissing on brand alone is somewhat ridiculous at best. One of the things I would ding the Gladiator on is price, as the higher trims with options add up really quick but the TRD Pros are starting to get up there in price too.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
    Omar RVA, TacoBessy and TurdTaco64 like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top