1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Just wired lights they are not working.

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Gabassman, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Mar 11, 2012 at 5:10 PM
    Bryan139

Bryan139 I have a spectacular aura

Member:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    '09 Sport
    I cut some wires here. Added some wires there.
    How? What can possibly fail on them? I just bought some to add some amber leds to the cup holders. I can tell you damn near anything I solder will most likely eventually fail too.

2. Mar 11, 2012 at 6:27 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    They make a poor mechanical connection. Movement and corrosion lead to poor connections, potentially wire breakage.

The blade is punching through the insulation and contacting the stranded conductors. In a vehicle that is constantly vibrating, the edges will cause the strands to break, ultimately leaving you with a "fuse" at the contact point.

There is a reason that factory connections are crimped and never "quick tap"

Proper soldering will not fail.
    Proper soldering includes having a solid mechanical connection before applying the solder, not "wicking" the solder up inside the insulation, and providing proper strain relief so there is no flexing force applied to the solid portions of the joint.
    Proper soldering also includes proper insulation and waterproofing if the wire is going to be in a damp location. Ignore waterproofing and water will wick through the entire conductor, corroding the wire, and leading to a break at a point subject to regular flexing.

3. Mar 11, 2012 at 7:02 PM
    Bryan139

Bryan139 I have a spectacular aura

Member:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    '09 Sport
    I cut some wires here. Added some wires there.
    I'm gonna return them. Thanks. I definitely don't want to have to trouble shoot my work down the road. I need to tighten up my soldering skills.

4. Mar 11, 2012 at 7:06 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Ya... I keep them available, but I only use them for testing or temporary connections. Once I'm satisfied with how everything is working, I remove them and make a proper splice.

Products Discussed in

To Top