1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

K&N 63-9037 Cold Air Intake

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Dascott11, Oct 11, 2013.

1. Oct 11, 2013 at 10:48 AM
    Dascott11

Dascott11 [OP] New Member

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Baja Series
    K&N cold air intake series 63, All Pro rock sliders, Hood blackout decal, Grill Master, Poor man Raptor lights in the grill, PIA fog lights, Bull bar.
    Has anyone tried out the K&N cold air intake kit, part number 63-9037 for a 2012-2013 Tacoma? I conducted a search and zero results showed up. Just wondering if anyone saw better fuel economy/performance... Real world results not factory K&N claimed results.

Currently running a K&N replacement filter with improved gains in regards to slight fuel milage and throttle response. Just wondering if a complete kit would improve even further.

2. Oct 11, 2013 at 10:51 AM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    the full kit will make your truck louder, thats about it. just search "K&N cold air intake" there are dozens of threads on it. lots love it, lots hate it. They are not a cold air intake as they draw air from the engine bay. The factory set up is actualy a cold air intake as it draws its air from the fender well.

3. Oct 11, 2013 at 10:53 AM
    xtyfighterx

xtyfighterx Master Shredder

Member:
    First Name:
    Ty
    CDA Idaho/ Deadhorse Ak
    Vehicle:
    09 DC SW TRD OR/ 2015 tundra CM off road sr5
    3in lift, 5100s front and rear, OME 887 springs 2in aal, 285 75 16 Duratracs, mb 352 black wheels, white sport grill, derp'd lower valance, derp'd front toyota emblem white, tinted windows, tinted tail lights, trd shorty antenna, trd hitch cover, trd valve stem caps, trd neoprene covers, trd all weather floor mats, kenwood double din, stampede window visors, flyzeye interior leds, anytime fog light mod, flashlight mod, kool vue intake, LED dome light, Lund bug shield, TRD shift knob,front mud flaps removed, Debadged, truxedo roll up bed cover, led fog light bulbs, led parking light bulbs, led dtrls bulbs, led headlight bulbs, led back up light bulbs, led license plate bulbs, tinted license plate covers, 18" magnaflow muffler, 32in ebay, light bar, coverking neoprene resr seat cover, oem trd skid plate, trd decal on center caps, oem trd exhaust tip, blacked out pinch welds, color matched mirror covers.
    noise is the only upgrade i think the urd intake might be your best bet for some performance if any

4. Nov 28, 2017 at 7:43 AM
    mars4984

mars4984 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 Red Tacoma SR5
    Stock, but planning small upgrades
    I just ordered one, I had one on my old car and loved it. As far as performance I am expecting very little, I know they are more for sound. Also, it’s not a cold air intake, it’s a performance intake, everyone just calls them CAIs although almost non of them are. The basic idea is to reduce air restriction and pumping loss, so your truck puts more power to the wheels, and less pulling air. It’s not even that it gives it more air (this would actually make your truck run lean) it just doesn’t waste as much energy getting that air. Similar to upgrading exhaust= less energy pushing air through the pipe and the byproduct is more noise because you have less baffles to reduce sound and restrict airflow, and a gain of a few HP. I’ll install it this weekend and see how it goes. I’ll post back with my input and maybe a sound clip if I can figure that out... Also, regarding the TRD, my thoughts from looking at it are that it’s a waste of money, and you’re just paying for a logo. The design looks exactly the same, and I believe it still meets California emissions standards, this K&N does not. I’m curious if it even changes the sound of the truck... anyone ever seen one on a truck??

5. Nov 28, 2017 at 7:49 AM
    captn.fat.beard

captn.fat.beard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    NJ & Philly PA
    Vehicle:
    13' DCSB on 33"
    i am removing mine and going back to stock. PM me if your interested. will probably be doing it this weekend

6. Nov 28, 2017 at 9:47 AM
    mars4984

mars4984 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 Red Tacoma SR5
    Stock, but planning small upgrades
    Are you removing a TRD intake or K&N? What is the reason for removing it? I already ordered mine, and prefer new, but thanks!

7. Nov 28, 2017 at 10:13 AM
    captn.fat.beard

captn.fat.beard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    NJ & Philly PA
    Vehicle:
    13' DCSB on 33"
    Removing K&N. I want to add a snorkel, and the open style of the box defeats the purpose of the snorkel. Also want to free up some room for a auxillary battery on the P/S.

Products Discussed in

To Top