1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

k&n 77series

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by jason1kyle, Mar 4, 2010.

1. Mar 4, 2010 at 8:05 AM
    jason1kyle

jason1kyle [OP] commander101

Member:
    JOHNSON CITY, TN
    Vehicle:
    08 double cab trd sr5
    77 series k&n 1inch throttle body spacer dual in single out catback exhaust (exhaust pros)
    ok i keep seeing on here where people talk about the k&n air intake and say that u loose power from it and get worse mpg from what i've read is that the reason for this is bevause it lets too much air into the engine so that more fuel is added to compensate
    my ? is would a chip (urd mass air flow calibrator/unichip) be able to solve the problem and work with the air intake to creat more horses?
    and also does the trd intake have any benifit to the vehicle or is it just like the k&n or any other kind of cold air intake?

2. Mar 5, 2010 at 2:16 AM
    jason1kyle

Member:
    JOHNSON CITY, TN
    Vehicle:
    08 double cab trd sr5
    77 series k&n 1inch throttle body spacer dual in single out catback exhaust (exhaust pros)
    no answers for any of this???

3. Mar 5, 2010 at 2:21 AM
    toyotadude5

toyotadude5 Breazeale- Pronounced Brazil

Member:
    First Name:
    chris
    Flagstaff, az
    Vehicle:
    2006 Subaru wrx sti (white)
    im not really sure, im still looking into cai myself. Ive heard lots of good stuff about trd, and bad stuff about k&n. Also not sure what a unichip would do for you. I dont know what the options on those are for our trucks

4. Mar 5, 2010 at 2:23 AM
    jason1kyle

Member:
    JOHNSON CITY, TN
    Vehicle:
    08 double cab trd sr5
    yeah i'm not sure about the unichip either but with the mass air flow calibrator u can set up your fuel maps and that may help i'm not sure dont know a whole lot about all this electrical stuff

5. Mar 5, 2010 at 2:26 AM
    toyotadude5

toyotadude5 Breazeale- Pronounced Brazil

Member:
    First Name:
    chris
    Flagstaff, az
    Vehicle:
    2006 Subaru wrx sti (white)
    ya me either. If it was me id skip all that stuff and head for a trd or something other then a k&n. Im actually looking into the aem brute force cai

6. Mar 5, 2010 at 2:30 AM
    jason1kyle

Member:
    JOHNSON CITY, TN
    Vehicle:
    08 double cab trd sr5
    yeah i already have the k&n 77 series thas why i'm wonderin if it would be worth it to sell it and get something else or if a chip would solve the problem

7. Mar 5, 2010 at 1:49 PM
    XrunnIT

XrunnIT Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    1GR-GZE X-Runner
    Built Motor by LC Engineering Boosted by TRD
    the main purpose behind aftermarket intakes for our truck isn't for "cold air" as the OEM intake pulls air from the fender well. They are designed to provide the least amount of restriction and turbulence.

When you start upping the horsepower and amount of air moving through the motor, you will need less restriction.

The claims of the K&N 'losing' power is because it's an open element intake, meaning the intake is prone to pulling hot air from the engine bay rather then relying on only cold air from the fender like the AFE or TRD style intake.

When you are cruising though, the IAT (intake air temp) of the K&N is maybe 1-3°F warmer then ambient. You won't see a performance difference between one intake and another with the IAT that close.

As for gas mileage, as long as the intake you are running has good MAF accuracy, and you keep your foot out of it, you won't notice a difference.

The K&N and TRD/AFE all have great MAF accuracy (as documented through data logging).

In order make horsepower, you have use fuel. More power = more fuel. But when you have your foot in it, i REALLY doubt the thought of "I wonder if i'm getting good gas mileage right now" goes through your head.

A tuner like the URD Maf Cal is great for most applications for making sure the AFR is where it should be for optimal performance. For complete control, and max performance something more advanced like the APR X-1 will be needed.

8. Mar 5, 2010 at 1:56 PM
    jason1kyle

Member:
    JOHNSON CITY, TN
    Vehicle:
    08 double cab trd sr5
    thanks xrunnit awesome info yeah i would love to get the aprx1 but way outa my price range but i am putting long tube header on and i have a catback on so i'm hoping that along with the k&n will bumb up my horses some until i decide to get the urd maf calibrator

Products Discussed in

To Top