1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

K&N Performance Intake

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by TanzTacoma, Jul 2, 2021.

1. Jul 2, 2021 at 7:49 AM
    TanzTacoma

TanzTacoma [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tanner
    Boise, Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD Sport Tacoma
    I’m looking to buy a K&N Performance Intake for my 2009 4.0L. I’m finding two different models and was hoping someone could help. First off, part # 57-9025 says it fits and it goes directly on where the stock air filter clips on. Then there is part # 63-9025 which says it fits and has the longer tube and goes further across the engine bay. Do both fit & what’s the difference in the two?? Thanks in advance.

2. Jul 2, 2021 at 8:18 AM
    blu92in99

blu92in99 Hates everyone, equally

Member:
    Elk Grove, Ca
    They both fit, and the differences between them are obvious if you look at the pictures.

57-9025 does exactly as they claim; it connects where the stock air filter connects, to the stock air box. The K&N filter heatshield doesn't fully seal, meaning you breathe in more hot air from the engine bay instead of pulling in outside air only.

63-9025 deletes the entire stock airbox assembly, and replaces it with a tube that connects directly to the throttle body. Different filter heatshield from looking at the pictures, but still not sealed, same hot air intake just more direct flow path into the engine. If you put a gun to my head and told me I had to choose between these two intakes, it'd be this one.

Bottom line; Either one will give you more sound, but unless you strap it to a dyno and get before & after HP/TQ numbers from your personal truck? It'll be difficult at best to prove it actually increases anything else beyond sound. K&N dyno charts are like EPA fuel economy numbers; achieved in a sealed test lab environment, not the real world. From experience, you'll probably lose MPG at first, as the placebo effect of a cool sounding intake makes you stomp the throttle more. Once the newness/cool factor wears off, your MPG may recover to where it was before adding the intake.

57-9025.jpg 63-9025.jpg

gsubioguy and TanzTacoma[OP] like this.
  3. Jul 2, 2021 at 8:21 AM
    TanzTacoma

TanzTacoma [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tanner
    Boise, Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD Sport Tacoma
    Thank you! I’m definitely choosing the 63-9025 without a doubt, I just wanted to know why a parts store local to me was leaning towards 57-9025 and I laughed at him cuz of his reasoning.

4. Jul 2, 2021 at 8:38 PM
    Knute

Knute Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '06 4.0L Tacoma TRD Sport
    Stock, 4WD, Access Cab, White,
    Expect no perceptible performance bump. There will be a bit more engine voice. You will have a lighter wallet.

Enjoy.

gsubioguy and blu92in99 like this.
  5. Jul 2, 2021 at 8:55 PM
    RadicalTaco

RadicalTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Check out some other options first.

blu92in99 likes this.
  6. Jul 3, 2021 at 5:13 AM
    sprucemica

sprucemica 2013 DCLB Limited 4.0L 4x4 - Spruce Mica

Member:
    Our trucks already have cold air intake. They take air from behind the passenger front wheel well. These products have good filters and pipes but they are taking hot air from the engine compartment itself. I don't really see the point to them, personally. Unless you have a snorkle you aren't getting better/colder air than the stock.

Rubicon-n-Taco likes this.
  7. Jul 3, 2021 at 7:18 AM
    b_r_o

b_r_o Gnar doggy

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    WA
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCLB
    Save your money

Rubicon-n-Taco and gsubioguy like this.
  8. Jul 3, 2021 at 7:30 AM
    gsubioguy

gsubioguy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    '21 TRD OR
    @TanzTacoma
    2nd this 100%.

Put one on my 1st gen and early on the "woosh" of the air through the throttle body and "roar" of the engine had me stomping the gas. Even after the novelty wore off there wasn't even a single mpg gained an no butt detectable gain in performance. Would have removed & sold it in several months of I'd not gotten rid of factory intake due to how loud it was in the cabin. Any conversation with passenger stopped if transmission downshifted.

9. Jul 3, 2021 at 7:32 AM
    Rubicon-n-Taco

Rubicon-n-Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JC
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tacoma TRD DCLB OR, 2016 Unlimited Rubicon, 2005 F250 PowerStroke, 1975 Sicilian Wife 490cc High Profile Natrelle Silicone
    I've taken the mudflaps off?
    Before you order this, know that it will give you ZERO performance boost,........unless the K&N sticker packed with it somehow magically adds +5hp.

gsubioguy likes this.
  10. Jul 3, 2021 at 8:46 AM
    $yoda$

$yoda$ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma 4.0
    2.5 inch lift, 285/75r16s, upgraded stereo system, Magnuson mp90 supercharger system.
    Yeah save your money for the important stuff like stickers and a gashole lol. I like that style of filter been using them for years never had an issue. Just make sure you keep it clean and oiled. Do a bit of research on that and make sure you don’t over oil or you can cause some problems with that. I’m forced induction with this truck so I get a bit of actual benefit from it but I’ve used them for probably 15 years or so now. Combine it with a set of hood struts to replace that stupid prop rod and you will get a smile every time you open your hood. Totally worth it.

Products Discussed in

To Top