1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

KBVoodoo Rust

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by grilla36, Nov 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nov 4, 2018 at 6:45 AM
    grilla36

grilla36 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    6FA455D2-DFC9-4163-BE79-2938AB63FFB8.jpg 7487E4D1-5C0F-40F7-A9DB-7A02D5DE8BF3.jpg F684B3CB-0FEC-4A9F-A143-87918F0CC173.jpg I want to start this by stating I am not trash talking, just giving facts. When I started the process of getting the rack I read a couple of reviews that mentioned the rust problem. I contacted Chad at kbvoodoo and he said the issues were resolved and they got a new powder coater. I moved forward and was really excited because it is a cool product. Well.. 4 months in and it looks terrible! Chad wouldn’t back his product and I’m stuck with a product I have to sand and paint now after just 4 months. Maybe it was a fluke. Maybe he’s a cool dude. Maybe I caught him on a crappy day. Just a heads up.

2. Nov 4, 2018 at 7:08 AM
    JGO

JGO Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Central Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    '14, 4 Cyl, A/T, Silver A/C
    I, too, believed the "new powder coater" line, he must be on the third or fourth new and better coater. My steel tailgate cap, from the same seller, began to rust and to bubble very shortly after it was on the truck. I wrote and based upon the reply I decided I didn't want the hassle. I had Line-X encapsulate it.

The cap is a nice design and a sturdy product. The coating is crap, the coating was probably never intended for rough use such as a tailgate cap. I also think the preparation of the steel prior to coating could be a factor indicated by the bubbling. When I took the cap off to take it to Line-X the underside, which is not exposed to rough handling, was bubbling in places and rusting.

Buy it but be prepared to repair the coating.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
  3. Nov 4, 2018 at 7:11 AM
    rnish

rnish Well-Known Member

Member:
    Peoples Republic of Maryland (USA)
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 2nd gen
    King's, Camburg UCA, Dirt King LCA, armor
    POR 15, topcoat of your choice.

Wsteven and whatstcp like this.
  4. Nov 4, 2018 at 9:40 AM
    grilla36

grilla36 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    I am going to use Por15 and the topcoat of my choice, but I specifically bought a finished product so I wouldn’t have to apply a finish.

5. Nov 4, 2018 at 9:49 AM
    PaulK

PaulK Life is hard. It's harder if you're stupid.

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Dublin, OH (but still a Pittsburgh guy)
    Vehicle:
    2013 Black Baja Access Cab
    Had the same issue with a set of cargo bars I got from them two years ago, and like in your case their response was luke-warm and blamed the powder coater for a bad job and me for not taking care of things. I was not impressed with the quality overall, so I'm glad I started with a relatively cheap item. Won't be a return customer.

Twinkie0311, Mully and Unchained 5150 like this.
  6. Nov 4, 2018 at 9:54 AM
    Unchained 5150

Unchained 5150 Rick

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Auburn Ma
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Poser Pro Manual.
    All I can say is Chad has always been stand up with me and any issues I've had. I have I believe the 2 built Outboard Bike mount and none of the powder coating has come off and it is a few years old. Hell I have even sold it and bought it back and during shipping still not missing any powder coating. But he has admitted some faults and such early on and has always stuck by his items. So let's tag him so it's fair and see what he says about it. @KB Voodoo and I have his bed caps as well for many years with zero powder coating coming off.

outxider and I married my tacoma like this.
  7. Nov 4, 2018 at 4:57 PM
    T4RFTMFW

T4RFTMFW Well-Known Member

Member:
    .. but, to be fair.. he also sold his first bed rack as an RTT capable expo setup and didn’t change that tune until people’s started breaking with minimal trail use and an RTT, then he came out with a new heavy duty version. Not sure what came of the broken racks, but he pissed plenty of people off here before today’s post.

8. Nov 5, 2018 at 7:16 PM
    blqchclt

blqchclt Oh, that's what this is for

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Quicksand DCSB
    curious how this will turn out. I wanted to set up my truck with a ton of KBvoodoo stuff. Wear is understandable but If I got these 4 months in like this I'd be disappointed to say the least!

9. Nov 6, 2018 at 8:50 PM
    T4RFTMFW

T4RFTMFW Well-Known Member

Member:
    If I had to guess he probably would on his third powder coater, so.. either they never actually changed PC vendors or they did but there’s no quality control in that prep or coat process.

So, I’d either pass on his stuff or be prepared for this experience, it’s a bit of a theme and has been for a couple years at least.

10. Nov 7, 2018 at 4:27 AM
    kakwvu

kakwvu Almost Heaven

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    WV
    Vehicle:
    2021 T4R TRD Pro
    If people are worried about the quality of the powder, why not order bare and get done locally or just continue to treat yourself?

That’s some gnarly rust, but you’ll find that one most steel products like this. Also very thin looking PC, but that’s the breaks :(

Hope it works out. Winter is coming.

basically_stock_ and El Duderino like this.
  11. Nov 7, 2018 at 6:48 AM
    grilla36

grilla36 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    The rust is gnarly. Lol. The option to order without pc doesn’t exist for his stuff...maybe it should. The worst part of this is that I was going to keep using his products: bike mounts, sliders, etc. I have already invested money( which I don’t have excess of) and my rust issue was completely ignored by Kbvoodoo. That type of response, or better yet, lack of response speaks volumes. Some people can overlook things like this and still think he’s cool or or a stand up dude. Not me. I can fix the issue, but he should’ve and he would’ve had a customer for life. All this to say buyer beware.

12. Nov 7, 2018 at 6:53 AM
    Unchained 5150

Unchained 5150 Rick

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Auburn Ma
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Poser Pro Manual.
    And he's been online responding to other threads he's in so I wonder why he is not responding in this thread at all?

13. Nov 7, 2018 at 6:54 AM
    kakwvu

kakwvu Almost Heaven

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    WV
    Vehicle:
    2021 T4R TRD Pro
    I’ve received similar responses from vendors .. I try not to take it personally as they’re likely fending off a dozen of those a day.

I’ve always been curious about racks like this rusting because of the constant vibration / climate. Pics like yours reaffirm that I’ll keep my OEM tonneau.

At least he responded and didn’t close shop :)

14. Nov 7, 2018 at 6:55 AM
    MESO

MESO Major Modder Vendor

Member:
    State of Jefferson
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCLB TRD HELLCAT SWAP
    I think a bare option at checkout wouldn’t be a bad idea.

15. Nov 7, 2018 at 6:55 AM
    NateMob

NateMob Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan
    South Ogden
    Vehicle:
    1997 Land Cruiser
    Triple Locked
    Properly prepped and coated steel doesnt rust to that degree in 4 months, expecially during summer/fall months. Thats a bullshit line they fed you. Plain and simple. Voodoo cheaps out on the coating and passing the problem off on the customer.

Do they not realize there are millions 20-30 year old vehicles made of steel with less rust than that rack? :rolleyes:

16. Nov 7, 2018 at 7:00 AM
    CanadaToy

CanadaToy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Toronto
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSB TRD OR Alpine
    TRD Pro grille & skid, OEM tonneau and roof racks
    From my experience in rust, that is due to the prep.

If you want it to last, you have to get it zinc coated, and then painted ontop of that. This would definitely add to the price, but zinc coating that rack would probably be in the range of $100 +/-

17. Nov 7, 2018 at 7:09 AM
    kakwvu

kakwvu Almost Heaven

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    WV
    Vehicle:
    2021 T4R TRD Pro
    Solid advice. I have CBI skids I’m about to put on .. so this will be something I look into so I’m not constantly standing because West Virginia has endless salt for winter.

18. Nov 7, 2018 at 7:20 AM
    Wsteven

Wsteven Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Pro
    Working on them
    Too See that kind of Rust after a mere 4 month equal pure crap for a finish Now ok if it was only around the bolt holes that you used I would say "well that could be damage from your mounting bolts" but what we see here is even badly rusted around the logo so that is clearly Garbage quality from the vendor even if they did not do the coating they are the Seller of it with the finish on it and a truly good Honest vendor would stand Behind their Product and take the issue up with the shop that did the coating and that reply from voodoo just so lame because I have had properly prepared powder coated bumpers on a FJ Cruiser last better than than for 7 years in Upstate NY outside all the time!

Thanks for posting about it because that is exact information we all need to see since it about vendors like this since it does Equals a good message of one vendor I certainly will not purchase from nor recommend to anyone.

Kpatt9 likes this.
  19. Nov 7, 2018 at 7:26 AM
    JLee

JLee The Man! Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Benicia, CA
    Vehicle:
    02 Extra cab SAS Linked front and rear
    I lost track thousands of dollars ago.

This ^ powder coating in not a magical coating that stops rust.(not saying it should look like the OP's pics after 4 summer months) Most powder coats are a thermoset powder that forms an egg shell type coating over the metal. If the coating is not sealed 100% it allows moisture under the coating causing the base material to rust underneath. All the spots that are rusting in the OP pics are notorious for the powder pulling away as it flow out making the edges thin. A Zinc Phosphate pre treatment defiantly helps prolong the life of the powder. Or multi coats to build up a thicker film thickness.

Here is what's happening on a microscopic level.
    ctAPR_Schoff_Fig4.jpg

Most manufactures don't Phosphate treat due to costs as they would nearly have to double the powder coating price. Here on the west coast they don't issue too many permits for the treatment as it's not the greatest for the waterways. Hell our county won't even allow it.

20. Nov 7, 2018 at 9:53 AM
    CanadaToy

CanadaToy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Toronto
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSB TRD OR Alpine
    TRD Pro grille & skid, OEM tonneau and roof racks
    This is the place i use... http://www.eastendplating.com/ hopefully you can find someone local!

Wsteven likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Products Discussed in

To Top