1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Keeeping a Clean Bed While Off-Road

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by AZ_Matt, May 18, 2020.

1. May 18, 2020 at 9:00 AM
    AZ_Matt

AZ_Matt [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2019 White Tacoma TRD OR
    FOX 2.5 Coilovers OME HD Dakar Leafs 285/75r16 Patagonia's 16x8 Method 305 NV wheels Mobtown Bed Bars Front Runner RTT and Awning Hooke Road Roof Rack
    I've been trying to find a thread about this for a while, but my searches came up empty.

I currently have a tonneau cover and Mob-Town bed bars on my 3rd gen, but I want to upgrade to a normal bed rack and ditch the cover. My only concern is that while on a dusty trail going to camp, everything in my bed will get covered in dust. Usually my tonneau cover is covered in dust, but everything inside is fine.

How do you guys keep your bed clean when on a dusty trail?

2. May 18, 2020 at 9:35 AM
    Twizted

Twizted 1GR FE

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    America
    Vehicle:
    '15 DCLB TRD Locked 4WD & '17 Tundra DC SR5 TRD Offroad
    stock af, but hover if you think you disagree... RV living: Vagabond Drifter (6' bed) Custom bed cabinet buildout 175w Renogy solar panel 40a Rich Solar MPPT solar controller 1000w Wagan Pure Line inverter Lavaner Pro 2kw diesel heat exchanger Suspension/wheels: Toytec Aluma 2.5 front shocks with resis 13x700 coils (soon 14x700) Toytec Aluma 2.5 rear shocks SPC UCAs Deaver Stage 3 rear leaf springs Wheeler's 3 degree axle shims Wheeler's U-bolt flip Wheeler's Super Bumpstops 18"x9" XD Monster (x5) 275/75/18 Cooper ST MAXX (x5) EBC Stage 3 pads/rotors Electronics: Kenwood DNX773S iDatalink - Maestro RR Stubby Antenna No-name Switchback LEDs Hella Sharptone horns (no relay) Relocated backup camera w/DIY bracket Armor/recovery: BruteForceFab Rear HC w/swingout BAMF Sliders (DOM, 10 degree w/kick out, rattle-canned) BAMF IFS Skid (BAMF powder-coated) BAMF Mid Skid (BAMF powder-coated) BAMF TC Skid (BAMF powder-coated) BAMF LCA Skids (BAMF powder-coated) BAMF Rear Diff Skid (early model, powder-coated) BAMF CMC Plates US Offroad Winch Bumper Smittybilt X20 10k synthetic rope winch Total Chaos Bed Stiffeners ARB compressor w/air-up kit DIY cowl snorkel ARB rear air-locker Interior: Husky Floor Liners (F&R) Rear 40% seat-delete Hinged fridge platform in place of rear seat Exterior: CaliRaised Low-profile Ditch Light Brackets CaliRaised Side-projecting LED pods CaliRaised Faux TRD Pro Grille Morimoto amber LED fog lights One-of-a-kind 1GRFE plate (second iteration) Removed: OEM Bed Mat CaliRaised bed molle panels
    I7E3z4nUAVgHGGFBtLHoZ3khtgy6SbSx3SR4e5ls_9e52c20975add5dd9deb79a46ad07c5f0c9c57ac.jpg

Blue Canary likes this.
  3. May 18, 2020 at 9:37 AM
    AZ_Matt

AZ_Matt [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2019 White Tacoma TRD OR
    FOX 2.5 Coilovers OME HD Dakar Leafs 285/75r16 Patagonia's 16x8 Method 305 NV wheels Mobtown Bed Bars Front Runner RTT and Awning Hooke Road Roof Rack
    I've seen that and the KB Voodoo rack that allows the use of a bed cover, but I don't mind giving up the cover. There are way more options out there for me if I don't keep the cover.

4. Jun 18, 2020 at 10:34 AM
    jbrandt

jbrandt Made you look

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    El Dorado, CA (NOT El Dorado Hills)
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD Tacoma 4x4 DC
    Kings, J59's Total Chaos UCAs Custom skids Sticker mod
    Um... you don't?

Unless you go to great lengths to seal off even a camper shell, everything will get dusty. Some people do a positive pressure system where a fan blows outwards, but it's easy to screw up and actually make things worse.

Getting dirty is kinda just part of the off-roading game. The INSIDE of my cab gets filthy too, because: windows.

If there are things you need to keep clean, like camera equipment or other sensitive electronics, seal them up in bags/boxes.

doublethebass likes this.
  5. Jun 22, 2020 at 12:37 AM
    SkunkMan17

SkunkMan17 Jerry-rigging everything

Member:
    First Name:
    Owen
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma RC 4x4
    Tasteful modifications :)
    Who cares if you get dusty/dirty, it’s all about the #offroadlyfe

6. Jun 22, 2020 at 12:38 AM
    ahkouchi

ahkouchi Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Big Island Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2016 Magnetic Gray Metallic Tacoma
    Front Elka 2.5 non resi with 650lb spring Rear Serviceable 5160's with AAL 265/75/r16 BFG KO2
    It ain't even friday lol. Gotta wait till friday if you want to post this kinda stuff

SkunkMan17 likes this.
  7. Jun 22, 2020 at 12:58 AM
    Foster1

Foster1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    2023 SR V6 4x4
    Best you can do is use a tarp and anchor it to all 4 corners. Or just get those plastic organizer boxes (idk what you call them).

Getting dusty is just unavoidable tbh. I use a tonneau cover and dust still gets inside.

Ultimate solution is to get an suv.

8. Jun 22, 2020 at 12:21 PM
    nvnv

nvnv Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Connor
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD OFF ROAD
    I have an Alu Cab canopy and it got super dusty inside. Not the canopy’s fault it’s just all the huge holes and gaps in Tacoma beds. I recently put a positive pressure vent on the roof of the canopy and get zero dust now. The ultimate test was last weekend out at Black Rock. The playa is an extremely fine alkali dust and even though my truck was covered no dust got inside.

jbrandt[QUOTED] likes this.
  9. Jun 22, 2020 at 1:24 PM
    jbrandt

jbrandt Made you look

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    El Dorado, CA (NOT El Dorado Hills)
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD Tacoma 4x4 DC
    Kings, J59's Total Chaos UCAs Custom skids Sticker mod
    Yeah, truck beds just aren't designed to be water/dust proof.

It all just depends on your intended use. How much time/effort/expense should you go through just to keep the bed dust free? I'd bet for most people that a couple of weather proof boxes for the sensitive stuff, then just hosing out the bed when you return is more than fine.

It's a different story if you use the bed to sleep in (bed platform) or something like that.

doublethebass likes this.
  10. Jul 3, 2020 at 7:01 PM
    ClintS

ClintS Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    Good luck with the bed rack!

Products Discussed in

To Top