1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Key Wont Turn

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by dysfunctnlretard, May 30, 2010.

1. May 30, 2010 at 8:57 PM
    dysfunctnlretard

dysfunctnlretard [OP] Hi

Member:
    First Name:
    Manny
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Jeep Rubicon
    I've got an '01 Corolla that I drive regularly and lately it's been getting harder to turn the key once I put it inside the ignition. I have to Jiggle it quite a bit and hope that it hits the magic spot that allows it to turn. I spent 25 minutes in the parking lot at work trying to get it to turn and I finally got it but it's getting frustrating going through the routine of shaking the key inside the inition and hoping it will turn. I know the whole ignition/ke set can be replaced. Anyone have any details about it? How hard is it to do? Approximate costs? What the exact name of the part is (ignition cylinder I'm guessing?)?

2. May 31, 2010 at 1:42 AM
    Manlaan

Manlaan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Riverton, Utah
    Vehicle:
    2002 XtraCab SR5 V6 4x4 Black
    See Signature
    Not sure if you've tried this, but it might be just your key being worn down. Have you tried your spare key?

Also, theres the possibility of it being the steering lock thats having issues. You might want to try turning the wheel a bit back and forth as you try the key to see if it helps.

As far as costs, cant really help ya there.

3. May 31, 2010 at 2:11 AM
    Leadgolem

Leadgolem Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Littleton, CO
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma SR5 2.7L 4x4 stick
    Herculiner bed liner, White LED instrument lights, Custom painted hood, Homemade leather steering wheel wrap, Avic u310bt gps stereo, 1.5" bushwacker fender flares, 1.25" bilstein lift front, 1" shackle lift rear, rear bilstein 5100 shocks, ridiculous helper spring lift rear, wet okole seat covers, mutilated exhaust, boom mat under hood
    If you don't have spares you might want to see if your key is twisted. Had that problem with my taco. Got spares made that aren't and now it starts no problem. Though with the way spares and original are shaped now due to wear, and copying a worn key, I can only use my keys in one way. If my ignition doesn't want to turn I take the key out and flip it over. You can also try some lock oil.

Products Discussed in

To Top