1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

KEYLESS ENTRY INSTALL IN '03 HILUX

Discussion in 'Hilux' started by JAMES399, Oct 2, 2021.

1. Oct 2, 2021 at 9:46 AM
    JAMES399

JAMES399 [OP] EL CAPO

Member:
    First Name:
    JAMES
    Alejandria Antioquia Colombia S.A.
    Vehicle:
    White 2003 Hilux DCSB 4x4 HI-RIDER +. 2.4L I-4, 5 spd.
    275/70R16 tires, gasolina or CNG fuel, Konig shox, Energy Suspension poly bushings,
    My wife's new Renault Duster Oroch pickup came stock with keyless entry. I really liked being able to lock/unlock her truck without fooling with the key. So I decided to install an aftermarket keyless entry system on my '03 Hilux 4x4.
    I bought a Keyless Entry System kit on Ebay for 13 bucks

[​IMG]
    My 'Lux has electric door locks so I figured the install would be easy, and it was. The hard part was figuring out where to make the interconnections between the kit and the truck's electrical system. The lock/unlock door lock controls are part of the truck's integration relay. This relay is located behind an access door on the lower left side of the dashboard.
    [​IMG]
    There is a small green plug on the front of the relay. Pin 5 with a RED/YELLOW wire is the LOCK control, and pin 6 with a RED/WHITE wire is the UNLOCK. These were the colors on my '03 model. Other years may be different. You can verify this by using a jumper wire connected to ground on one end and touching the pins on the plug with the other end. Touching pin 6 will unlock the doors, and touching pin 5 will lock them.
    [​IMG]

The kit has many features that I did not use (like the remote trunk release), so the hookup only involved connecting 7 wires on the entry unit to the truck.
    [​IMG]
    INSTALLATION

Splice the RED wire on the unit with the RED/WHITE wire (battery positive) on the truck's ignition switch.

Connect the BLACK and the YELLOW wires on the unit together and attach them to a suitable ground point.

Splice the WHITE/BLACK wire on the unit with the RED/YELLOW wire on the small green plug.

Splice the WHITE wire on the unit with the RED/WHITE wire on the small green plug.

Connect one of the BROWN wires on the unit to the positive wire on the LH turn signal bulb.

Connect the other BROWN wire to the positive wire on the RH turn signal bulb.

Both BROWN wires have to be used for the turn signals to work properly. After connection, the turn signals will then flash (in hazard mode) one time when the truck is locked, and twice when it is unlocked. You can connect the vehicle's horn to one of the BROWN wires through a relay to make the horn sound when the entry unit is operated. I didn't do this because I felt it wasn't worth the hassle.

Mount the entry unit in a suitable location. I removed the driver's side kick panel and attached it to the truck body with double-sided tape. Unwrap the antenna wire on the unit, and stretch it out as straight as possible to give the entry unit maximum range.

The install is now complete.

Once I figured out how to interface the unit with the truck, this was a pretty easy job. The system works great and I only wish I had installed it a long time ago.

- JAMES

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
To Top