1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Keyless entry problem with install

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by scphillipp1, Nov 17, 2019.

1. Nov 17, 2019 at 3:35 PM
    scphillipp1

scphillipp1 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Palmyra, Pa
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma SR 4x4
    I am working with toyota's kit to add keyless entry to my SR tacoma. (Part#00016-32912)
    I have it installed and I am having an issue.
    When I press the remote to lock or unlock - the horn chirps and lights do their thing, but the door locks do not lock (or unlock). If I manually lock the doors the remote will unlock the drivers door. But even with multiple presses of unlock - the passenger door does not unlock.
    I am pretty sure the problem lies with connector IC2, as this is the only connector that deals with this. Also at one point in my struggle, I forgot to plug IC2 back into my truck and it behaved the same way (ie only unlocking the drivers door)
    There are 3 wires tapped into by this connector (pin 21 Lock switch, pin 6 unlock detect, and pin 5 unlock switch) I have checked and rechecked the connection points but do not see any bad connections. I thought about cutting the wires and crimping them directly but would rather not alter the truck side if possible.
    Anyone know how I could troubleshoot this? I am not even sure I don't have a bad device.
    Thanks. I know this is quite technical and I can follow directions to a tee but when it comes to troubleshooting I am lost. There is a sheet that outlines the pin connections, which doesn't mean much to me.

pins.jpg

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
  2. Nov 17, 2019 at 3:57 PM
    caribe makaira

caribe makaira Well-Known Member

Member:
    Caribbean, Puerto Rico
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner TRD Offroad AutoTrans
    Hood Struts, My version Fogs always ON, Map & Overhead Light Mod,
    First, running the system with connectors loose or even unconnected is an invite to the electrical gremlins. Second, the first press only unlocks the Driver's door, unless you have changed that feature with the head unit setting to unlock all doors. (not the case) Second press of FOB unlocks ALL other doors.

Chew likes this.
  3. Nov 17, 2019 at 4:48 PM
    caribe makaira

Member:
    Caribbean, Puerto Rico
    Vehicle:
    upload_2019-11-17_21-1-30.jpg

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
  4. Nov 17, 2019 at 4:59 PM
    caribe makaira

Member:
    Caribbean, Puerto Rico
    Vehicle:
  5. Nov 17, 2019 at 5:03 PM
    caribe makaira

Member:
    Caribbean, Puerto Rico
    Vehicle:
    Check that the T-taps are on firm...

6. Nov 18, 2019 at 4:28 AM
    scphillipp1

scphillipp1 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Palmyra, Pa
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma SR 4x4
    Thanks - I did check, the one I even redid. I may end up hard splicing them (ie not using the taps). Really hate doing that. If I knew for sure it would work, I'd not be so against it. What I was hoping for was a way to check it with a meter or such. Could even be a defective unit. That would be my luck.

7. Nov 18, 2019 at 5:13 AM
    caribe makaira

Member:
    Caribbean, Puerto Rico
    Vehicle:
    The unit provides a ground to unlock n lock just as the door switch and key switch do. You could test these wires removed from the connector/T splice by placing a fused LED and placing the ground sude of the LED to the units wired thus verifying it lights up on unlock n lock. 2 LED or one switching the ground to the units wires.

8. Nov 19, 2019 at 5:03 PM
    scphillipp1

scphillipp1 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Palmyra, Pa
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma SR 4x4
    Update, using your suggestions I figured out what is supposed to happen for this to work. The two wires in question on the truck, when you ground them, it locks or unlocks accordingly. So the pink/white wires from the keyless module are supposed to provide a ground when you press the lock/unlock buttons. Well they don't. I double checked my main ground (which I had little hope of since I don't think any of it would work if it were not grounded, anyway), my ground was good. I have a feeling the relay inside the module doesn't have a ground to provide to the pink/white wires when you press the buttons. I can hear them click so they are getting the signal, but they obviously aren't doing their job. Anyway I've written to the company to exchange the module. I hope they don't want the whole harness back (I checked continuity of the harness wiring and it is good)
    So hopefully they will exchange it and it will be a quick fix.

Products Discussed in

To Top