1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Keyless vs alarm protection? What's the difference?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Janster, Feb 28, 2008.

1. Feb 28, 2008 at 7:17 AM
    Janster

Janster [OP] Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    This is just an *I'm bored* topic starter. Just some random thoughts and I thought I'd post a topic for the sheer hell of it. I was curious... and didn't really find much info (didn't spend a whole lotta time on it).

In terms of the 05+ generations....

What type of protection does the factory keyless entry security system do?
    Obviously, it locks/unlocks the doors. The key has a chip in it to prevent anyone from starting/driving the truck. Does it do anything else? I've got nice little warning stickers on the window and a neat little flashy light on the dash - you'd think the toyota OEM security system would do more than that?

If you were to purchase the toyota factory alarm RS3200PLUS - what does that give you? According to the Toyota accessories page - the alarm will go off if the glass is broken or the door is opened (forced)? Is that it?

This is really interesting....thieves using computers & wireless technology to crack & transmit the codes transmitted off the chip in your key. http://www.forbesautos.com/news/features/2006/keyless_theft.html

I was trying to shop around and see what the *most stolen* vehicles are for last year....but came up with a variety of different sites and a lot of old info. Lots of older cars being stolen (according to this site). I guess the newer security systems require a more sophistocated and more professional theif to steal them.
    https://www.nicb.org/cps/rde/xchg/SID-4031FE9B-5AF86634/nicb/hs.xsl/5536.htm

Not really interested in getting an additional alarm - it just made me wonder what the benefits were of the RS3200Plus? And would it be worth considering getting it?
    I'm not a fan of 'aftermarket' alarms. I've had experience with one and it got *flakey* after about 5 years. (Arm itself, go off by itself, immobilize by itself, etc)

2. Mar 26, 2008 at 8:24 PM
    4x4x4trd

4x4x4trd My other ride weighs 200 tons

Member:
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 White Access Cab TRD OR, Debadged
    AFE oil free drop in, Secondary removed, tint, front D-rings, Toyota bed mat, Undercover tonneau, TRD seat covers and floor mats, Pioneer speakers, Westin Platinum bars, Fumoto oil valve, short antena, Nifty Xtreme's, TSB leaf springs, Bilstein 5100's set at .85" in the front
    If I had known how limited the programming on the new 3200 was I would have saved the money. I thought it would have the same features that my '99 had. I have deactivated the 20 sec. on feature during arm and disarm and you can't program ignition on door lock or unlock features at all on the '05+ tacomas anyway. So I could have had keyless with the SR5 TRD and the chip in the key is plenty. The alarm does sound when a glass is broken or a door or hood is forced. Which might draw attention. I try not to leave anything in visible sight anyway. Save your money for other mods. ;)

3. Mar 26, 2008 at 8:50 PM
    06tacoma

06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tampa FL
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner SR5 XS-P Trd Longbed Double Cab
    20" enkei wheel,BFG G-Force tires, BHLM, Smoked tail lights, 2 RE Audio 10s, Quantom 900watt amp,10000K HIDs headlights and fog lamps,Borla exhaust, Borla drop in filter,Debadged tailgate,Painted black tacoma badges
    From my past experience of tuning cars especially cars with motor swaps dealing with different ecu's and keys and ignition. The chip in the key immobilizing your car makes it very hard to steal. Especially since I have not seen a tuning program or a reflash program for the ecu's used in our trucks other then the one offered by the dealer. Using one of these programs would be the only way to immobilize the ecu making the chip in the key useless then pretty much any matching key and ignition could start the car if wired correctly of course. But that’s just my two cents could be a lot different. That also only covers you car not being able to be moved. But i do see where your coming from about someone just breaking in and stealing everthing in the car. Not to sure how good toyota did on that side of it

Products Discussed in

To Top