1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Kicker Tweeter Capacitor Blown (H631SFJ101)

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Errorsix, Nov 28, 2020.

1. Nov 28, 2020 at 10:34 AM
    Errorsix

Errorsix [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ernest
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCSB Offroad 4x4
    I blew the capacitor on one of the Kicker "Subaru" tweeters. Is the capacitor worth replacing or would it be best to just buy another set?

Backstory:
    I installed the Kicker tweeter upgrade in 2019 and they have been working great. Since then I have replaced the door speakers which are powered by a Rockford Fosgate PBR400X4D 50W x 4 Compact Amplifier. I recently installed a sub behind the seat and was tried powering it with a Skar Audio SK-M5001D Compact Monoblock Class D MOSFET Car Amplifier, 500W. The SKAR amp was not my first choice in amps but it came with the setup from someone who was parting out their build. I could not get the amp to stay on no matter what configuration I used for the power, ground, and rca connections. I have given up on the amp and will be picking up a new RF 500watt amp.

During the install one of the wires came out of the but connectors which must have caused the capacitor on the driver side tweeter to blow out. I'd like get the tweeter repaired, but the black cement holding the capacitor together makes it tough to remove. Is it worth working on or should I just cut my losses and get a new set of "Subaru" tweeters?

20201124_181630.jpg
    20201124_181720.jpg

2. Nov 28, 2020 at 10:50 AM
    rob feature

rob feature Tacos!

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 V6 X-Cab SR5
    Shocks. Pegs. Lucky.
    You should be able to replace the cap for pennies. If it's not too much of a PITA to access the leads, just replace it. Almost looks like you might destroy the thing in the process though.

dolbytone likes this.
  3. Nov 29, 2020 at 2:50 AM
    dolbytone

dolbytone Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off Road
    I always see moments like this as an opportunity to spend way too much on something I don’t need.

“Aw shucks baby, muh tweeter ‘sploded! Guess I have to get some kinda replacement... /sadface”

SR-71A likes this.
  4. Dec 2, 2020 at 4:43 AM
    MadAssHatter

MadAssHatter New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Vehicle:
    2018 Taco SR 4 cyl 2.7l 2WD with $5k of crap attached
    Spectre cold air intake kit Idatalink remote start Kenwood DMX906S Head unit Idatalink Maestro RR CAN bus integration module 2 JL Audio CP108LG-W3v3 Subs behind the rear seats JL Audio RD 500/1 amp JL Audio RD 400/4 4 channel amp Subaru/Kicker H631SFJ101 Dash Tweeter plug n play swap Kenwood KFC 6996PS Front door speakers Kenwood KFC 1796PS Rear door speakers QC 3.0 dual usb port under A/C knob knockout switch replacement Tiger Soft top tonneau cover from amazon $220 ICI Magnum side steps TRD Sport wheels from fleebay with Nitto Terra Grapplers 18" Etsy and ebay vinyls and stickers Toyota OEM rubber floor mats from amazon for $80 less than the stealership 35%VLT Ceramic window tint on everything but the windshield LED high and low beam bulbs from amazon, a must Dual tone sport horns from pella 16" electric condenser fan for the worthless idle A/C r1234yfdoesntgetcold ESSENTIAL label above gas door stating "Taco Sauce Only!" And that's all I can remember at 4 in the morning
    DON'T buy a new set! That capacitor is wired in series. I don't remember what the capacitance is on the kicker/subaru tweeters is, I remember going down the rabbit hole with kicker tweeters that sounded like crap because the cap was rated too high only letting 12k hertz and above through. Anyways! If you can spot the specs on the cap, peel it off taking care not to damage the wrapper, you should see a figure followed by uf. and a voltage rating. as long as you stay the same voltage or higher, thats okay. Now the capacitance, the figure followed by uf, that has to stay an ABSOLUTE. Because that capacitance controls what frequencies pass through and get played. just connect the new capacitor to the red and black wires, the stripe alongside the case of the cap on the wrapper beside one leg coming from the cap is negative (or anode), and the other leg positive. connect stripe/anode to black, other leg to positive, make sure they aren't touching each other or shorting and hot glue that sucker back in place. the cap should only cost you $2-3 at the local electronics dealer. Link below is the wiring diagram for your speakers

https://gyazo.com/79729b309ad2c0cd254f4aab35c3c52f

5. Dec 3, 2020 at 11:51 AM
    pseudonym

pseudonym Well-Known Member

Member:
    Livermore, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 AC 4x4 V6, 1997 FZJ80
    Hate to burst your bubble on your first post and all, but audio caps are non-polarized. Also, "anode" refers to the positive pole.

Seeing that blown cap, I doubt the tweeter survived.

6. Dec 3, 2020 at 1:21 PM
    MadAssHatter

MadAssHatter New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Vehicle:
    2018 Taco SR 4 cyl 2.7l 2WD with $5k of crap attached
    Spectre cold air intake kit Idatalink remote start Kenwood DMX906S Head unit Idatalink Maestro RR CAN bus integration module 2 JL Audio CP108LG-W3v3 Subs behind the rear seats JL Audio RD 500/1 amp JL Audio RD 400/4 4 channel amp Subaru/Kicker H631SFJ101 Dash Tweeter plug n play swap Kenwood KFC 6996PS Front door speakers Kenwood KFC 1796PS Rear door speakers QC 3.0 dual usb port under A/C knob knockout switch replacement Tiger Soft top tonneau cover from amazon $220 ICI Magnum side steps TRD Sport wheels from fleebay with Nitto Terra Grapplers 18" Etsy and ebay vinyls and stickers Toyota OEM rubber floor mats from amazon for $80 less than the stealership 35%VLT Ceramic window tint on everything but the windshield LED high and low beam bulbs from amazon, a must Dual tone sport horns from pella 16" electric condenser fan for the worthless idle A/C r1234yfdoesntgetcold ESSENTIAL label above gas door stating "Taco Sauce Only!" And that's all I can remember at 4 in the morning
    Hey we all need to be put in our place every once in a while. You're absolutely right, audio caps aren't polarized, plus we're dealing with ac voltage not DC voltage for the speakers so even if it was polarized it still wouldn't matter. But yeah you're right about anode being positive. I always get those confused, and I asked Google to make sure before I made my last post and it still gave me the wrong info. I'm kind of with you on that, but I have faith in these tweeters. They're rated at 150 watts RMS, 300 peak each tweeter, so there's a damn good chance that it might have pulled through

pseudonym[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top